Not sure if my active listings are being seen by U.S ebayers.

Hi.Can someone from the U.S tell me if My listings are being seen in the States.I;m a Canadian seller with fish decoys for sale ,under Burnedpocket.Thanks.Brad Newell

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

marnotom!
Community Member
You’re not likely going to get any responses from US eBay users on the Canadian eBay discussion forum, @burnedpocket. I suggest you try the .com site’s forum:

https://community.ebay.com
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You don't have a shipping method for the US so it's unlikely that your items can be seen by US buyers on eBay.com.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@burnedpocket wrote:

Hi.Can someone from the U.S tell me if My listings are being seen in the States.I;m a Canadian seller with fish decoys for sale ,under Burnedpocket.Thanks.Brad Newell

As @pjcdn2005 stated, you do not priovide a shipping charge for US buyers so eBay will not display your listings to US buyer in search results. If a US buyer could find one of your listings this is what they would see;

recped_0-1707258645005.png

Although you do not block any countries (other than the few eBay has added) your listings will not show up in search for any countries that you have not provided a specific shipping charge.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@burnedpocket wrote:

@burnedpocket 

You may want to consider turning on discounted options when using Fedex. It shows as available on some listings. But appears to be full amount. https://www.ebay.ca/ship/prf/carrier    Rate was a bit high on the one I checked. Once it is turned on discounted options will show for CP/Fedex & UPS.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Just open up eBay.com and take a look for your self.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

People from the USA using eBay.com can see your items. You have other barriers preventing them from buying your items, not visibility.

You have a few things you could fix:

1 - Your shipping prices are not accurate, or you are using expensive services. Most of your items have shipping rates in the 40-70 CAD range for USA and Canadian shipping. Buyers care about the total cost of the item and you aren't getting interest because your shipping rates make your items too expensive.

You have to print labels directly on eBay to stay competitive. Buy a small scale. If you sell items that are similar size, buy a package of boxes or bubble mailers. Pre-package and weigh your items. Then follow these instructions: https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/eBay-Shipping-Discounts-with-Calculated-Shipping-Now-Ava...

The end result is that you should be able to ship anything under 200g within Canada (or 500g to the USA) for about $10 or so. Anything above 200g in Canada, look into Canada Post flat rate boxes. An extra-small flat rate box is $16.99 and will likely fit most of your items.

2 - Use "Buy It Now" w/ best offer, not auctions. People who want an item don't want to deal with the hassle of auctions. Auctions are great for liquidating large lots of inventory at a loss or selling something with a very wide range of possible buyers. For niche items where there might only be a handful of buyers, they will only bid on an auction if they think they are getting a remarkable deal. Imagine you want to go the store and buy a Loaf of bread for $5, but you have to wait 7 days to see if you will be able to purchase the bread at market value rather than just giving the store market value and taking the bread home right away. That's what auctions are in this scenario. An inconvenience for the buyer.

3 - You only have a handful of listings. It takes hundreds or thousands of listings to produce a large quantity of sales for most niche items. 

4 - Research your prices and consider what an item is worth including the shipping. Here is an example that wraps all of the above together. You have an Imax DVD box set. You have it at an auction. It is listed for $50 with $50 shipping to Ontario. Multiple other sellers offer it for $40 shipped ($10-$20 Buy It Now, plus $20-$30 shipping). Meaning, your listing has a very bad value proposition. Not only do I have to wait an extra week to get the item because it is an auction, it costs almost three times as much after tax as multiple other sellers off it for. Outside of a seller getting very lucky, people simply aren't going to pay $113 after tax for an item they can get for $44 after tax from multiple other sellers. 

Fix your shipping, research prices, switch to Buy It Now. It's a price problem, not a visibility problem. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

People from the USA using eBay.com can see your items. You have other barriers preventing them from buying your items, not visibility.

Fix your shipping, research prices, switch to Buy It Now. It's a price problem, not a visibility problem. 

@burnedpocket 

When the OP first posted they didn't have any shipping specified for the US, now they do and as you say they are very messed up. It looks like they have set up only one international shipping rate and have assigned that rate to ALL International destinations with no lower rate for the US.

For example I see this on one listing:

recped_1-1707687560516.png

When I switch to an overseas country I see the same shipping rate and service.

recped_0-1707687485740.png

They should be using two different rates, one for the US and one for the rest of the world. For the US the service should probably be for Expedited Package (USA).

In addition, offering surface mail to anywhere other than the US is simply asking for trouble, delivery times can be extremely long, buyers will NOT be happy.

I'm also unsure if the OP is using accurate measurements and weights, the listing I was looking at is not that big (size described as 9"), it's weighted, I presume because it's very light otherwise but still I don't think the weight for shipping is correct (or maybe Canada Post does charge that much for International Surface?).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

My advice for someone who is only selling a handful of items would be to only ship to USA and Canada. It is a large enough market. Tracked Packet makes it very simple to ship to the USA because it's one price for the entire country and it goes by a few different weight brackets. 

For most lower-priced items, the cost of tracked shipping is going to exceed the value of the item. As you said, surface is usually not reliable and will lead to refunds. On top of that, the increased chance of a problem could lead to a lot of wasted time. 

If they are going to ship to every single country on earth, it would be better to package and weigh their items and use calculated shipping. In that case, they at least won't get caught off guard with an item costing way more than they charged to ship. I still wouldn't advise someone with a few items to ship overseas. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply