Not sure they understand stamp collectors but one never knows...may not make it to .CA anyway.

This was in one of the stamp magazines, it appears the standard envelope concept on .COM is soon to be extended to stamps as well.

Not sure if this will ever make it to .CA, but the "problem" with stamp collectors is they want a stamp on the envelope, traditionally at least, because it is VERY hard to get modern used stamps. The tracked alternative (a $1, quite envious of that) will draw the sellers to that aspect which will be in conflict perhaps with collector desires, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Here's the article:

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps-postal-history/stamps-category-on-ebay-to-see-new-postage-optio... 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Not sure they understand stamp collectors but one never knows...may not make it to .CA anyway.

I doubt that we will ever see that here.

Being that US sellers are much more concerned about tracking, I wonder if most them currently print their labels or if they use stamps?  I don't know if it is possible there to use stamps and then get tracking at the post office but even if it is...I doubt that most of them would do that but I'm just guessing. Since USPS postal workers will pick up mail at seller's homes, I suspect that most prefer not to go to a post office. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I can't imagine stamps could be used for the ebay stuff, they can be used at the PO same as here, however the POs here and there want everyone to go with labels, less work for their staff and processes, us folks wanting stamps on things are getting scarcer all the time!

I definitely can't ever imagine $1 tracking here!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It is a wonderful service for trading card collectors. Would be awesome to have it here although I doubt it will ever make it.

However, as you pointed out, it will not be so wonderful for stamp collectors. But sellers will love having tracking on their sales at such a low cost.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

In the States you can't use stamps on PACKAGES anymore, they want labels only, so anything here that isnt lettermail for example gets rejected at USPS, so i have heard from freinds down there.

Unless we have a complete overhaul of our post office here we are not getting cheap tracking - EVER lol!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I very much doubt the focus group of sportscard collectors will much care. I've not seen much overlap between the hobbies.

Philatelists often have a small coin collection, or collect ephemera particularly paper ephemera, but not for some reason sportscards.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thinking about the one dollar tracking-- once you are printing a label, which is barcoded, what would be the drawback for adding Confirmation of Delivery (not tracking, justConfirmation)?

The carrier might have to spend more time scanning codes before the item goes in the mailbox, but would a loonie cover that?

And not every sender would want to spend the extra money- Christmas cards no. Wedding invitations? maybe. Admail, definitely not.

Actually, keep currency exchange in mind. Today the loonie is about 78c USD. Canada Post would be charging $1.25 or so to match the USPS price.

Who do we know on the PO Board of Directors? 

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our-company/about-us/our-leadership/corporate-governance/directors-...

Message 7 of 7
latest reply