Notification of Recent PayPal Changes to Come Into Effect Dec. 2021

I'm assuming that all folks using Paypal have received a notification that beginning soon all items paid for using Paypal would be required to provide a tracking number for shipping.  Unfortunately I wasn't paying enough attention and deleted that notification.  If anyone has it & can attach, that would be appreciated.  I'm a small time seller thinning out items I've collected for 45 years and feel this is a riduclous rule for small ticket items. My memory of the notice is that if one can't/won't comply, you Paypal account must be closed out.  Can anyone out there advise if there is life without Paypal?  Does Ebay's Managed Payments automatically default to requiring buyers to provide their credit card info?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

This is annoying but  most sellers are now enrolled in Managed Payments so for the moment it does not affect us.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?locale.x=en_CA&utm_source=epsilon&ut...

I think this is the part that is worrying you:

• Revising PayPal’s Seller Protection program to clarify that proof of shipment and proof of delivery also must include an online verifiable tracking number.

Which isn't really a change.

If we don't supply Proof of Delivery, we lose any Item Not Received (INR) dispute with PP as we would with eBay.

I see nothing about closing the PP account. Only about Disputes.

As a seller primarily of low-value items, it is my practise to use LetterMail whenever possible. And LetterMail cannot* be tracked.

*Okay, a letter can be Registered, which is tracked, but only within Canada. And at nearly $10, we are often better off with Expedited mail, for which we can print out a label and often get a small discount.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Although I no longer recall what specifically you may have read and/or the date of any particular message from PayPal> I have deleted any recent emails from PayPal as I read any updates at the time I receive the message. With any and all recent updates, I saw nothing that would readily impact me as a PayPal user. I use PayPal as the payment processor on other selling venues.

Many PayPal updates apply to USA PayPal and Not PayPal Canada.

I did find this:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/11/1635865177.html

Perhaps someone else will come along and clarify this for you...

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

• Revising PayPal’s Seller Protection program to clarify that proof of shipment and proof of delivery also must include an online verifiable tracking number.

That will affect sellers who are using Paypal as a payment provider...you are using Managed Payments.    As femmefan mentioned, when a buyer files an item not received claim through Paypal, the seller was always required to show proof of delivery with online delivery confirmation.   The change appears to be when a buyer uses PP and then files an unauthorized chargeback.  In the past a seller could show proof of 'shipment' by uploading proof from the post office showing that the mailed the item but now proof of shipment requires that the item has online tracking.

The statement about closing your account only means that if you don't want to follow their rules, you can close your account.  But there is still no rule that sellers using PP have to use tracking. The rule only applies to disputes and always applied to item not receive calims.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for this interpretation.  In the past I've always automatically reimbursed a buyer for non receipt because there have been minimal issues.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Really appreciate your help.  Thanks to all.  First time I've used the Forum and it has been a great learning experience.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The only part about closing a PayPal account refers to PayPal saying that if you don't agree to these terms/can't comply with the terms you can close your PayPal account...which is really no different than selling on eBay where you either agree to the terms of use or you don't.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Yes.  I agree.  Having not read it a couple of times before getting the right info into my head, I go ahead and delete it.  I write it of to old age.  😁  Thanks again.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply