Odd Warning in a Listing.

byto253
Community Member

I was browsing some listings and saw this one with the odd "Warning" underneath the items specifics box.

Has anyone seen this before and/or have any idea what that is about?   

The listing URL is below, and I toook a screen shot which is below. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284538041629?epid=154264209&hash=item423fc9f51d%3Ag%3Al9EAAOSw7QVhmr9c&nma=...

listing warning.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

What is Proposition 65?

I always seen that p65 box when doing my listings

You had the link right on your screenshot:

Proposition 65 requires businesses to provide warnings to Californians about significant exposures to chemicals that cause cancer, birth defects or other
reproductive harm.  Exposure to these chemicals may take place when products are acquired or used. Exposure may also occur in homes, workplaces, or other environments in California. By requiring that this information be provided, Proposition 65 enables Californians to make informed decisions about their exposures to these chemicals.

Proposition 65 also prohibits California businesses from knowingly discharging significant amounts of listed chemicals into sources of drinking water.

Proposition 65 requires California to publish a list of chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. This list was first published in 1987, and must be updated at least once a year. It now includes over 900 chemicals.

Proposition 65 became law in November 1986, when California voters approved it by a 63-37 percent margin.  The official name of Proposition 65 is the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

I was browsing some listings and saw this one with the odd "Warning" underneath the items specifics box.

Has anyone seen this before and/or have any idea what that is about?   

The listing URL is below, and I toook a screen shot which is below. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284538041629?epid=154264209&hash=item423fc9f51d%3Ag%3Al9EAAOSw7QVhmr9c&nma=...

listing warning.jpg

That warning has to do with items that could cause cancer shipped to California.

Proposition 65 requires businesses to provide warnings to Californians about significant exposures to chemicals that cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. These chemicals can be in the products that Californians purchase, in their homes or workplaces, or that are released into the environment.

Not being an expert I am using my best judgement for items that may or may not qualify. That link is very detailed to all the rules and requirements.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks Lotz.  I see the option to fill that in when listing and ignore it.  I guess that the seller clicked it for some reason.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

This same disturbing warning was on a key I recently got cut for my young son at Home Depot. I've had keys cut there numerous times without this threatening tag but for some reason they started attaching it reading: WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm, www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

I immediately asked the guy in hardware who cut the key and he said he touches them all day (without a hazmat suit!) and that almost all keys have this chemical since it makes it easier for them to be cut, he said the process is not new, only the requirement of attaching the tag (at least with Home Depot). He said it's okay as long as it isn't ingested and that people should probably wash their hands after handling.

I've never washed my hands after handling my keys...ever!! All I could think of is how babies love playing with a set of keys and putting them in their mouth! Ahhhh! I try not to think about all the warnings out there!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I assume the "...ca.gov"  is the government of California, not of Canada.

Rather than washing hands, it would make sense to wash the keys after cutting.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I assume the "...ca.gov"  is the government of California, not of Canada.

Yes.  The federal goverment here uses ".gc.ca" and here in BC, "gov" is the actual name of the provincial government website.   I think ".dot-gov" is just a US thang.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I still have the tag here that came with the key, when I saw .ca I assumed it was Canada but you are right it is California.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply