Order value / duty concern when preparing 2 labels for 1 order Canada to USA.

Hope someone can help me.  Chatted with eBay, was told to go to the post office and have them prepare labels and then come back into eBay to put in the 2 tracking #s.  Makes no sense to me !!!

I have to mail a rather expensive chandelier to the USA.  Heavy so I had to pack in 2 boxes.  I usually prepare my labels in eBay, but this is my first time for a 2 package order.  On-line eBay Help explained to prepare 1st label, then select print another label and prepare the 2nd and that I would get 2 tracking #s.  My concern is will it also put the full value of the chandelier on both labels?  If so, the buyer will have to pay duties cause the amount would then be over $800US.   Is there mention/note that the order is a 2 parcel order and magically the second label won't have an amount?  Or, can I change the amount on both labels making sure they total the actual price (under $800US).  I don't want to start preparing the labels and then find out I have a problem and have to cancel them since shipping is also big bucks....  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Order value / duty concern when preparing 2 labels for 1 order Canada to USA.

If you are sending via Canada Post you need to treat them as individual shipments and split the declared value between them.

Technically they should be declared as $1000 total with documentation showing it's split but you can save yourself a lot of aggravation simply be treating them as separate orders declared at $500 each.

I have no idea how this would work using label printed via eBay.

You could probably save yourself quite a bit of money shipping them via ChitChats who have two locations in the Ottawa area.

https://chitchats.com/locations

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Order value / duty concern when preparing 2 labels for 1 order Canada to USA.

It is worth using the online chitchat estimator to see what the cost would be for each.  I have found thought that for some very heavy items it is not always less expensive, it just depends on the combo of size, weight and destination.   

The online estimator is here:

https://chitchats.com/en/pricing

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@jnicholss wrote:

Hope someone can help me.  Chatted with eBay, was told to go to the post office and have them prepare labels and then come back into eBay to put in the 2 tracking #s.  Makes no sense to me !!!

I have to mail a rather expensive chandelier to the USA.  Heavy so I had to pack in 2 boxes.  I usually prepare my labels in eBay, but this is my first time for a 2 package order.  On-line eBay Help explained to prepare 1st label, then select print another label and prepare the 2nd and that I would get 2 tracking #s.  My concern is will it also put the full value of the chandelier on both labels?  If so, the buyer will have to pay duties cause the amount would then be over $800US.   Is there mention/note that the order is a 2 parcel order and magically the second label won't have an amount?  Or, can I change the amount on both labels making sure they total the actual price (under $800US).  I don't want to start preparing the labels and then find out I have a problem and have to cancel them since shipping is also big bucks....  Thanks in advance!

You would also be able to generate 2 labels with a Shippo account attached to your CP business account. Would include the same discount as mentioned  above. Not sure how you would be able to show the 2 shipments with eBay other than messaging your buyer with the 2nd tracking number. Another option would be shipping from a UPS store as a 2 pc shipment. (If you prepare at a store you wouldn't need to set up a UPS account.)  and shipment would only need customs documents for 1 shipment. (1st tracking number is master...2nd pc tracking would be connected.)

https://goshippo.com/products/shipping/

-Lotz

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@jnicholss 

Appears way back when, (2019) there may have been a way to create labels for a multi piece shipment. 

https://pcforms.com/diy-printing-blog/can-you-ship-multiple-pacakges-with-the-same-shipping-label/

Screenshot 2022-03-13 174538.jpg

Print Shipping Labels for Multi-Package Order

The link attached brings you to eBay but no longer provides an option for that requirement. 

dot com link:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/labels-packaging-tips/buying-printing-postage-labels...

dot ca link:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/posting-items/labels-packaging-tips/buying-printing-postage-labels?...

tyler@ebay 

Are you aware of any other option within eBay for creating 2 labels for 1 shipment? Bulk shipping tool is only intended for multiple unique orders and combining is same box. Not splitting one shipment into 2 parcels. 

This would also be a seller requirement if a buyer bought multiple units of the same item.  eBay calculated shipping interprets(calculates) anything over the maximum as a separate shipment even though there is no way to create that second shipment. The workaround would be either use upgraded shipping.... Tracked~~~~> Expedited as an example. There is a potential here for either the buyer to be over charged(refunding) or the seller to be short to cover shipping if they had to upgrade shipping to meet CP maximums. Difficult to bill a customer after the fact for upgraded shipping when it is design flaw of eBay's.  Customer is invoiced  immediately after the purchase based on eBay Calculator.

2nd concern.

Currently if there were multiple shipments (parcels)  there is no room for a secondary waybill # within the eBay sales order page. (Tracking would be overwritten with each additional parcel.)

-Lotz

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

HI @lotzofuniquegoodies - using 'Print another label' is the best way to use eBay Labels to handle multiple shipments within a single order. The additional label will be able to be customized to the weight and dimensions of the second box. 

Regarding multiple shipments and tracking numbers, the easiest way to add it would be to do so from the Orders page. One could select 'Edit' next to the existing tracking number and then choosing 'Additional tracking number' on the following pop up window (image below). 

Thanks!

tylerebay_0-1647384236733.png

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 6
latest reply