Package sent to USA now stuck in US Customs since March 6th

Hello,

I sent a package using Tracked Packet to the USA mailed on March 4th, USPS tracking shows it arrived in NY USPS facility on March 5th at 9:43 pm and then into customs but has been there ever since.  I am tracking the package on USPS site but has not moved at all.  The last delivery date on Ebay is March 15 to final destination which is in the state of New York.  The package is only $8 CAD, celebrity clippings from magazines and newspapers.  I am wondering if it is stuck in customs because I did not enter an HS Code on the label, my mistake and will enter it in the future.     I will have to refund the buyer if it doesn't move and get delivered on time but I will wait for them to contact me first.  Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Hello,

It could have been selected for customs inspection.  If this happens than your parcel simply could be waiting in a bin to be inspected.  I had something coming the other way into Canada and it was with Canadian customs for an extended period of time before being released.

Another possibility is that it could have missed the scan.  I've had something arrive to my customer via tracked packet USA without any scans before.

You could also try calling USPS to see if they can possibly share any insight

This might be a good time to be pro active and contact the customer.  A lot of customers are patient and don't open INRs right away if there is an active communication flow and there is tracking available.

Hope all works out

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

There have been many times I've sent packages out Tracked Packet USA and they were held in customs for extended period (but always eventually made it through!) I find if you do the tracking from the actual USPS site it sometimes updates more (and/or faster) than if you are looking from the eBay here or Canada Post site.

I always also choose the option they have on their site to "receive updates" so at least I get an email when it moves at all (instead of being tempted to keep checking!)

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Have you checked the tracking number directly on the USPS site?

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Yes I have been checking tracking on USPS site it has not changed since March 5, all it says is in customs. 

Customs Transit

Inbound Into Customs

Processed Through USPS Facility

ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 

March 5, 2024, 9:43 pm

Processed Through Facility

MONTREAL, CANADA

March 5, 2024, 2:59 am

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

Acceptance

CANADA

March 4, 2024, 8:05 pm

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

It's not due until the 15th.

If your customer is upset, remind them of that.

If your customer is not upset, stop watching tracking.

Is the 15th the first or last estimated date for delivery?

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Looking at your tracking history, i think it may have already cleared customs and be en route to the next  distribution facility.   The 'Processed Through USPS Facility' scan doesn't happen until after a package is released by Customs.  The fact that the Inbound Into Customs scan occurs after that doesn't mean much...i often see scans out of sequence with how they occurred in real time.  And the 'Inbound Out of Customs' scan could simply have been missed, which also happens a lot.

If it is still in Customs there could be a zillion reasons why, almost none of which are serious.  NY is especially slow in Customs clearance at times.

I worry about slow tracking updates too but i've learned it virtually always works out ok.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Ebay's ETA is March 7th to March 15 and final destination is Woodside, NY.  I think it should have been delivered by now if it was not in customs.  I have not heard anything from the customer so I will keep waiting hoping it will be released from customs and delivered or possibly it is already released but hasn't been scanned.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Sometimes the delivery scan was missed and it's possible it has been delivered. I've received feedback for items that weren't even yet shown as delivered. A few weeks back I had one where positive feedback was left and then about a week later it showed as delivered! If you haven't heard from buyer, just leave it be.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Here is an advice from an experienced seller - NEVER EVER check tracking! There is ONE AND ONLY case you should do - you got an INR complaint from a buyer. 

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Has the customer complained?
Don't poke the bear until they do.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Could just be a lag in tracking.  I shipped 2 items tracked packet in February before shutting down for a couple of months and the tracking is odd.  

One I shipped on Feb. 2 to California, and it showed it made it to San Francisco from New York on Feb. 10.  On the 19th it showed no progress and I sent a message that it is on track and hopefully would be there soon.  He messaged back right away that he receieved it and thanks.   Fast forward to yesterday and the tracking shows it was delivered March 14th and has ton of tracking steps in March - the buyer messaged me asking if I had shipped him something else.  And I do not think he got his deliveried mixed up, just weird tracking.

The other was a shipment to Hilo, Hawaii sent on Feb. 14 and it showed it made it to San Francisco from New York on Feb. 20 and nothing other than "In Transit" since yesterday when it showed "Arrival at unit" on March 14.   This would have gone to Hawaii by air, so that is a long hang time.   

I would not assume that your item is in customs, tracking can just be weird and bizarre.  It is out of your hands anyways, and it will get there.  

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I tracked it again this morning on USPS and it shows the same info from March 5th that item is in customs and it is being processed by US customs.  At some point yesterday the USPS site was down and was unable to track it so I thought maybe their site is not updating.  Today is the last Ebay delivery date, I have not heard from the buyer.  I am hoping it was deliverd but was never scanned.  I have sent this type of package many times before and never had an issue. It is low value only $8 CAD flat envlope 33cm x 26cm less than 250 grams  used tracked packet so don't know why it was pulled aside. Maybe because I did not put the HS code or the description on label is an issue, I put "magazine article" in description since it is pages from a magazine, celebrity clippings.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Has the Buyer contacted you?

No.

Then why worry, tracking updates are unpredictable and most Buyers are honest.

No news is good news...

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

If I had a toonie for every shipment I received from the US that had only an initial "scan" event in the tracking, I'd be able to buy a decent A&W burger combo.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

it's quite possible that because it looked like a piece of lettermail it didn't get scanned.   It's also possible that it's unusual dimensions (for a package) are making it difficult to scan so it's missed a bunch.

As everyone has said, don't contact the buyer, just let it be and see what happens.  There is a decent chance it has been delivered.  It's not unheard of for tracked packages to not get tracking updates.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Just an update,I received a message from the buyer she never received the package so it is still stuck in customs.  I asked her to open an INR and will send her a full refund. 

I sent another package last week to USA and it is moving through their system as normal so I guess it was a one off package getting stuck and possibly forgotten in customs.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

From my experience, very much a one off.  

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@peterkat2020 wrote:

Just an update,I received a message from the buyer she never received the package so it is still stuck in customs.  I asked her to open an INR and will send her a full refund. 

I sent another package last week to USA and it is moving through their system as normal so I guess it was a one off package getting stuck and possibly forgotten in customs.

Maybe the fact you asked her to open an INR and that you would refund her, will work in reverse if she ends up finally receiving the item she may gladly repay for the item.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@peterkat2020 wrote:

Hello,

I sent a package using Tracked Packet to the USA mailed on March 4th, USPS tracking shows it arrived in NY USPS facility on March 5th at 9:43 pm and then into customs but has been there ever since.  I am tracking the package on USPS site but has not moved at all.  The last delivery date on Ebay is March 15 to final destination which is in the state of New York.  The package is only $8 CAD, celebrity clippings from magazines and newspapers.  I am wondering if it is stuck in customs because I did not enter an HS Code on the label, my mistake and will enter it in the future.     I will have to refund the buyer if it doesn't move and get delivered on time but I will wait for them to contact me first.  Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks for any help.

Not sure if this will make you feel better or worse but just had a small letter parcel coming to me in the same province, 200 km away take 11 total days to arrive. With the state of affairs with the mail, always a good idea to try to remain patient. Mail gets hung up or not scanned for all kinds of reasons. Most likely what has happened to yours.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies...on the way...will be there....eventually!!!

Message 20 of 23
latest reply