Partial return via Ebay returns

Buyer purchased 16 lots of same item and wants to return 10 because he does not need them anymore and started return on Ebay.

Ebay does not support this option.

What happens if I do partial refund and then approve the return? Will Ebay attempt to return rest of the payment upon return the item or it will detect that "some" refund has been done and will not touch the transaction anymore?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I am not sure how that would work. I've had one return with this system and it gave me the option of refunding with or without the original shipping cost but I don't think there were any other options.

I do know that the return will close on its own after approx 30 days even if you approve the return and the buyer doesn't return.

Perhaps you could have the buyer send the items back without inputting any tracking numbers so that ebay will not know when/if the item is returned. When they are returned you can do the partial refund through paypal (partial doesn't give a defect).

Basically you would be bypassing the return system but you might want to ask your question on the .com powerseller board as some of the posters there seem more familiar with the return system. I'm curious what would happen if you don't approve or acknowledge the return at all.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

That would work, but there was non-trivial ebay fee, and I would prefer to get the poportion of it back.

Second option would be to follow return procedure as required and have buyer pay back for portion he kept.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply