Paying for Ebay shipping labels

Hi:  I haven't sold much on ebay in awhile.  Wondering when we print a shipping label on ebay when does it get paid for?  I printed a label and shipped the item out at the end of last week.  When I printed it I remember it said "Billed now".  I assumed since the label printed with no issues and the parcel was accepted at the post office that the payment for the label was sent to Canada post when I printed the label.  

Today I get an email from ebay that they are sending the funds from the sale to my bank.  Now what's confusing me is that even though the ebay fees have been subtracted from the total amount it appears the shipping cost has not.  Very confusing since it appeared the label was paid for when I printed it.

Does anyone know what is going on here?   I'd really appreciate any info from anyone familiar with the ebay shipping labels.  This is only the second sale I've done in ages and I'm not familiar with ebay shipping.   The first time I used it to ship in November it deduced the shipping amout before the funds went to my bank.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Paying for Ebay shipping labels

I meant deducted the amount.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Was this a Canada Post label or a UPS/courier label?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Hi -  It was a Canada post label.  The parcel is going to a buyer in Saskatchewan. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Even though it says "Billed Now", that doesn't happen.

They usually deduct the postage amount in about 2-3 days but sometimes it takes a week or more.

If your money has already been sent to your bank and you have nothing left in available or pending funds then ebay will take the money back from your bank. 

I find that having the money sent to my bank every 2 weeks instead of weekly gives ebay enough time to clear any postage charges.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I see.  Ok that clears it up, thanks for the info much appreciated. 🙂   When ebay switched to managed payments I set up a seperate account just for ebay.  I didn't have enough faith in ebay to give them access to my main account and having deposits go into an ebay only account makes it easier to keep track of how much I recieved in payments. 

I'll just keep the funds in that account until ebay gets around to withdrawing the shipping amount from it.  Strange thing is on the other sale I had using ebay shipping the money was taken right away and sent to Canada post by ebay.  Leave it to ebay to be inconsistent.  🤣

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Related question:  Ebay is offering me a shipping label for $13.50 for sending a package from Ontario to San Francisco.  I know if I walk into my local post office it would cost more like $23.00 to ship.... what gives?  Are they going to charge me more at CP?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Is this for something you’re sending by Tracked Packet—USA? I believe that mailing method is subject to deep discounts on eBay.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

ebay shipping labels and Canada Post with your small business discount are the same cost.

$13.50 is the charge for a 100g package tracked to anywhere in the US.  Make sure you verify the weight and size - sometimes ebay shows 100g when it is really 1000g.  Always double check the pre-filled weights and measurements on the form that comes up for ebay labels.

If you are looking at Fedex, they might have different charges and a brokerage fee for your customer at delivery in US.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

When you purchase a Canada Post eBay label you are not going to get charged more by CP UNLESS your weight or dimensions aren't accurate.   I suspect that the 2 amounts you gave are for 2 different services and that's why the price difference.    The 13.50 might be for tracked packet and the other amount for expedited US parcel.  The eBay discount on postage may be $10+ for an overseas label but not usually for a Canada to U S label.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@lucitabby wrote:

ebay shipping labels and Canada Post with your small business discount are the same cost.

$13.50 is the charge for a 100g package tracked to anywhere in the US.  Make sure you verify the weight and size - sometimes ebay shows 100g when it is really 1000g.  Always double check the pre-filled weights and measurements on the form that comes up for ebay labels.

If you are looking at Fedex, they might have different charges and a brokerage fee for your customer at delivery in US.

A disclaimer was recently added to the ebay labels page if you use Fedex for shipping.

Save up to 75% off FedEx Express® services, and up to 35% off FedEx Ground® services. Plus enjoy 100% off Residential Delivery Surcharges.

Page does not clarify regarding customs processing charges, if/when applicable.

Assorted Fedex services may require either dropping at designated office (like a Staples) or a Fedex warehouse. 

-Lotz

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I noticed even though all the dimesions and weight for the package are entered correctly, ebay will come back and charge a higher shipping label fee than what they said it was going to cost at the time of printing the label. 

Has anyone ran it this issue?

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@lucitabby wrote:

There are no brokerage fees unless the declared value exceeds US$800.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Parcel rates are based on dimensions+weight+ DESTINATION.

And every week Canada Post changes the fuel surcharge. There is usually a post on the Sellers Board about that, provided by ypcdDennis.

I hadn't realized there was a fuel surcharge on packages to the USA too until today.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@hofer_william wrote:

I noticed even though all the dimesions and weight for the package are entered correctly, ebay will come back and charge a higher shipping label fee than what they said it was going to cost at the time of printing the label. 

Has anyone ran it this issue?

It as never hapened to me. That only happens if Canada Post says that your weight and/or dimensions weren't correct. They bill ebay and ebay bills you.   Fedex might be a different matter as they do have surcharges in some cases.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply