Please help canada post tracking says business closed but address is not a business!

Hey guys I shipped an item to a buyer and the tracking today said "business closed for the day- will attempt redelivery"
My buyer's address is not a business address plus he was home all day to accept the parcel! Why would it say this in the tracking? Could it be that the mailman just didnt have time to deliver and picked a default excuse to delay the package, even though the address is clearly residential? The buyer contacted me and is questioning me since they saw the tracking mentions a business when clearly it's residential. Any help or insight is appreciated! Thanks!
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Please help canada post tracking says business closed but address is not a business!

Just as a doublecheck-- you looked at google Maps and confirmed it was a residence? And occupied?

I had this happen a couple of months ago. CPO said the address did not exist while Google showed a (poorly marked) door with a business sign.

In that case the buyer gave me an alternate address (in the same building but on the other side) and all was well.

Bad news? Because as  seller I was responsible for delivery and for CPO as my chosen subcontractor, I paid for re-shipment.

Which was where seeing the building came in handy, although it did not actually work in my favour.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Weird because google maps shows a residential address. What else do you suggest? Thanks! I don't want to lose and item and also have to refund the buyer 😞
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Perhaps somebody punched in a wrong code on the scanner? Maybe delivery actually wasn’t attempted today. What was the item’s status prior to that scan?
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Status was out for delivery and around 530ish the status was updated to business closed will attempt redelivery. I opened a claim with canada post as now I'm worried I'll lose the item and be forced to refund the buyer. 😞
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@mtlvapcann wrote:
Weird because google maps shows a residential address. What else do you suggest? Thanks! I don't want to lose and item and also have to refund the buyer 😞

What did the address look like in Streetview mode?

Lots of former residences around with a business on the ground floor and apartment above. 

Also, google streetview is far from perfect with street numbers. I've often noticed the street number google shows you is just a little bit off.  To be sure you are looking at the correct address it is essential to find a visible house number in the actual streetview photo stream. Google often shows you the house or building next door to the address entered in search.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

y and around 530ish the status was updated to business closed will attempt redelivery.

You may have acted too soon.

But "wheels of the gods" there's a fair chance it will be delivered on Monday, whatever else is happening.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@mtlvapcann 

Not sure if your customer is Canada or USA but you may want to try calling the Canadapost toll free and just confirming status. You  may be able to ask the operator to update the system. After entering the tracking number it will give you the update you see online and then the option to speak to an agent. They usually have access to more detailed scans.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

The golden rule, never check item updates in transit!!!!!

There are a pile of misleading updates that regularly get put in items in all countries of the world.

I try very much to resist ever looking at in transit items for this very reason.

When I do fail to resist and watch them, usually it is for large value items and all too often there are very misleading things happening, like this kind of message, or returning to sender, or no updates at all until the day it arrives etc etc. It is worth noting EVERY time I've watched one with bizzarre, worrisome messages it has been delivered...so I've been fretting, sometimes for many days for no reason.

I wouldn't do anything. Especially until the buyer says something, which there is  very very small chance they will.

I agree with whoever above said you're just creating extra work (and worry) for yourself.....

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thanks I appreciate it its actually the buyer that brought it to my attention and now they are doubting me due to the message of "business closed"... he said it raised a red flag 😞
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Sorry I didn't notice that the buyer raised it.

I would, if you haven't already replied, mention that they don't need to worry because they are covered if it does not arrive, and that misleading messages like this are common. Thank them in advance for their continued patience while it completes the journey and hopefully that will cover things off till it arrives...probably on Monday like femme says....
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thank you very much I appreciate it 🙂
Message 12 of 12
latest reply