Possible spam message from Canada Post

I just received this email supposedly from Canada Post.

Your package (I blocked numeber) from the USA  is currently in transit and has reached customs clearance.

To ensure a seamless delivery, we kindly ask for your assistance in settling the necessary customs duties and taxes, totaling $0.99. Please proceed with payment using the provided link at your earliest convenience.

Upon payment confirmation, your package will be promptly processed for final delivery.

I clicked on the link before I realized that I am not expecting anything from the US. Problem with Canada Post is that it seems impossible to actually talk to anyone.

Has anyone else had a similar message?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is a common spam/phishing message.

When you clicked on the link did you put any of your information like credit card or bank acct information in?? If you did you need to change your password ASAP as it is now compromised.

If you didn't I'm not sure if you're exposed or not, if you have an antivirus software package installed now would be the time to do a full scan.

PS remember the golden rule NEVER click on links in messages.....

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

This is a common spam/phishing message.

When you clicked on the link did you put any of your information like credit card or bank acct information in?? If you did you need to change your password ASAP as it is now compromised.

If you didn't I'm not sure if you're exposed or not, if you have an antivirus software package installed now would be the time to do a full scan.

PS remember the golden rule NEVER click on links in messages.....

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

What is the (actual) URL for the link?

Is the number you "blocked" an actual tracking number? If so did you check it on the regular tracking page for CP?

I get multiple phishing messages every day but I have not see that type before.

When you clicked the link where did you end up? An actual Canada Post page or just a page that looks like a Canada Post page?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You might want to read CP's page on phishing messages and how to identify them.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/company-policies/privacy-security/what-do-t...

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks so much, no I didn't fill in anything. I finally found a Canada Post phone number and they assured me that it was a spam, told me to go to Canada post site and type in phising for instructions on dealing with these spams.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Canada Post has sent me emails about prepaying the HST due on shipments, but you can be darned sure that they want more than 99 cents if it is a legitmate Canada Post email. It does make life a bit easier for the postie and for me - no digging for my card when he/she/it knocks on my door, and no need to use the wee portable credit card machine. Any of the shipments that Canada Post emailed me about were ones that I had been tracking and was expecting. Shipments from the US always get dinged for the HST, but from the Netherlands and Baltic States 99% arrive with no tax collected. From the U.K about 20 to  30% get nailed for tax.

I have recived many of the 99 cent wanted emails and ignore them.  I think somewhere along the line I may have recieved similar emails from UPS and Fedex, but just like with Canada Post they have inflated charges that are way more than 99 cents.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply