Prevent Fraud Scam ??

Hi folks,

i put one item for auction several weeks ago. The winner tried to have a better shipping rates i cut off 50%. After that no payment, 2 weeks later i opened a case and the buyer pay me after 4 days.

Go to my post office and the agent told me she can t found the address in the system. So i contact the buyer who ask me to cancel the transaction and relist the item he will pay with an another ebay and paypal account with a total different address. So do you think  it is a scam buyer ? I don t want to refund the guy after the item will be delivered 

Need advice please 

thanks 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Prevent Fraud Scam ??

I would definitely contact ebay as they can see all the communications you have had with the buyer....and It doesn't sound right to me at all...something fishy there forsure.  

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Prevent Fraud Scam ??

So, if you still have the package and item...

...cancel the transaction using "Problem with Address" as the option (you will not get a defect)...

...then refund the Buyer using eBay (You will get back your fees) not PayPal and run!

Block them and do not look back!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Prevent Fraud Scam ??

i sent an email to ebay so i wait for an answer
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Prevent Fraud Scam ??

i will i m a new seller i m afraid about a negative feedback too for my future business :S
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Prevent Fraud Scam ??

Negative feedbacks are not as catastrophic now as they were in the past, they aren't held against you by eBay.

Yes buyers can see them and that is of course a concern, however in my own opinion the most important thing is how you respond to the feedback.

In this situation, in the event of a negative feedback you replying with something like: "Buyer received full refund after cancellation due to mailing address issues" keeps it very professional and any future buyers that see it will see that you're not likely the problem.

Here's a link to my recent reflections on this topic:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/A-silver-lining-to-the-feedback-quot-cloud-quot/m-p/4346...

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Prevent Fraud Scam ??

@thxlucasmtl wrote:
... Go to my post office and the agent told me she can t found the address in the system.

Happens to me several times a year. The clerk can override the computer suggestion.

Can be simple as a small community that uses post office boxes instead of street addresses (if small enough place, the post office will know who to give it to).

But the buyer offering to use a different ebay and paypal account is really suspicious -- normally they give you a corrected/adjusted address.

Cancel using problem with address reason. Do not relist the item for awhile (the fact that the buyer wants to change to a different ebay ID makes them difficult to block).

-..-

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Prevent Fraud Scam ??

I think it is a scam-- the new address is my clue.

But he may have moved and never changed his address in Paypal?

Is he a new buyer ? Does he seem to buy fairly often from other sellers of similar goods?

Because there was a Dispute and the buyer paid, you cannot cancel the transaction.

If there had not been a Dispute, you could have Cancelled using "problem with address".

You could try this.

Invoice him through Paypal with the eBay transaction number attached. Tell the buyer that he is covered by PP Buyer Protection. (This is actually true, and true about both payments.)

What you want is the current address. Ship only to the address in Paypal.

Since you have his payment (right?) the new invoice could be for a penny.

You just want a useable address and no Defect from eBay.

If he pays the penny, ship the item and mark the eBay purchase paid and shipped. You can do this manually.

Now-- let's get a couple of other posters to re-think my solution. It should work, but your customer sounds a bit spacey. Or he may turn it down because he would not be honest about trying to clear up the situation.

tyler@ebay  It's convoluted, but would it pass inspection?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Prevent Fraud Scam ??

@brettbb 

There has already been an Unpaid Item Dispute opened, paid, and closed, so the OP cannot now open a Cancellation.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply