Printing postage via ebay, for letter mail to canada or the states

Does anyone know how to print and pay for the postage on ebay's page for shipping labels.  

We sell decals, and eBay has told me that if I use this page for shipping labels, that the seller can not

leave a low star rating, as eBay will know that the label was created and shipped.

This being fine and all, has anyone tried it with letter, and oversized letter post to canada or the states, and here is the kicker,....

got the right amount for shipping?

Shipping for oversized to the states is $2.20 and canada is $ 1.34   Ebay wants me to pay over $10.00 to ship via paypal shipping label..

Thanks

J

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

You cannot print Lettermail postage eBay/PayPal.

eBay has told me that if I use this page for shipping labels, that the seller can not

leave a low star rating, as eBay will know that the label was created and shipped.

Whoever you talked to didn't understand your question or you didn't understand their answer.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

We sell decals, and eBay has told me that if I use this page for shipping labels, that the seller can not

I suspect your or your informant was thinking about Free Shipping.

Free shipping is a good sales gimmick which really means the shipping cost is included in the price.

Which is cheapest:

A $5 item with $10 shipping

A $10 item with $5 shipping

A $15 item with Free Shipping?

If you offer Free Shipping within Canada, you will not pay FVF on any shipping to anywhere in the world. And you get an automatic Five Star rating for Shipping Cost in DSRs.

I use Free Shipping on my postage packets and customers seem to like it, even though they are pretty sophisticated businesspeople.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

You can only print postage for light packet, small packet, tracked packet, expedited parcel and Xpresspost on PayPal. For oversized lettermail, you can buy rolls of stamps from most Canada Post outlets or you can order online.

Ship for "free" and you get an auto 5 for shipping and handling charges.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

can you please let me know how to print the postage stamps from ebay. and how does the free shipping works. thanks

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@chattersden wrote:

can you please let me know how to print the postage stamps from ebay. and how does the free shipping works. thanks

You can't print "postage stamps" from ebay. You can only print SHIPPING LABELS for light packet, small packet, tracked packet, expedited parcel and Xpresspost on PayPal. 

"Free shipping" means rolling your shipping cost into your item's price. It does NOT mean you don't have to pay shipping to mail your items. 

For example, I have a book that I want to sell for $10. The shipping cost is $5. I'll list my book for sale as $15 ($10 + $5) with "free shipping" displayed on my listing... that doesn't mean shipping is free. It simply meant I rolled my shipping cost into the item's total price. 

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I know it can not be free. May be I was not able to put my question properly.

I all want to know is how to estimate the shipping cost and where to buy the stamps.

I got this that we can buy and print the labels from ebay. but sometimes its a $1 -$4 for a package, where as the canada post charges at least $10 or more.so how does that work. Thanks

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

" but sometimes its a $1 -$4 for a package"

NO.

There is no possible way to buy postage from eBay for $1 or so.

That would be lettermail (within Canada) or letterpost (USA and overseas) and these rates CANNOT be printed through eBay and paid through PayPal.

For lettermail and letterpost you can use postage stamps or go to the post office and let them affix the postage.

To estimate postage cost, get the rate brochure from Canada Post or use the Canada Post website.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

You might see shipping from $1-$4 on listings but that probably means that they are using lettermail within Canada. As others have mentioned, you have to use stamps in that situation as you can't print postage for lettermail online. You can buy stamps at the post office or older stamps on ebay. But make sure that the older stamps still have 'gum' as can't use stamps that were already used once.

Items less than 2cm thick can be shipped light packet to the U.S. or overseas. You can postage for that through Paypal.

There are many different ways of shipping items so it is important to go to the CP website to see what methods are available and what they offer (tracking etc.)  You can specific questions here but it's impossible to give someone a total shipping overview.

You can get parcel pricing here - https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

The prices that you see there are going to be a bit higher in some cases as compared to what you will be charged if you print a label through Paypal as we do get a discount when using expedited parcel  within Canada and to the U.S. There is also a discount for Tracked packet to the U.S. and overseas.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@chattersden wrote:

but sometimes its a $1 -$4 for a package

Sometimes people roll part of the postage cost into their item's cost. 

For example, there is a stuffed animal I'm selling. I want roughly $10 for it, but I listed it as $15 + $5 shipping. I know small packet air to the USA will cost me $8.13 but listing the stuffed animal with $8.13 shipping seems pricey. I personally find "$5" to be a generally acceptable cost for shipping so that's why I list my irregularly shaped items as $5 shipping and roll the rest of the shipping cost into the item's price. I didn't list the stuffed animal as $20 with free shipping because $20 sounds too pricey... but I have been listing it for 6 months and it's still here, so maybe I need to change my strategy lol. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@chattersden wrote:

... May be I was not able to put my question properly.

I all want to know is how to estimate the shipping cost and where to buy the stamps.

I got this that we can buy and print the labels from ebay. but sometimes its a $1 -$4 for a package, where as the canada post charges at least $10 or more.so how does that work. Thanks

If your items are slim (under 2cm thick) and light (under 500g) you can mail them in Canada as oversize lettermail. Same cost for all of Canada, but no insurance, no tracking -- which I rarely find to be a problem.

You use stamps (which can be purchased on eBay for a discount if you shop wisely) or at the post office (full value) or buy during a rare store sale (Shoppers DrugMart had Xmas stamp packs at 10% off face value 2 weeks ago). What you can't do is buy the postage through paypal.

Canada 2016 (and 2015) oversize stamp rates
051-100g .. 1.87 (1.80)
101-200g .. 3.07 (2.95)
201-300g .. 4.26 (4.10)
301-400g .. 4.89 (4.70)
401-500g .. 5.25 (5.05)

Heavier items are sent via Expedited parcel in Canada (available at discounted rates though paypal). Unfortunately, the cost varies depending on where in Canada it is shipped to (so if you use a flat rate for all of Canada, you will sometimes be charging too much or sometimes too little).

But if you know what the weight and size of your package will be, then you can set up your shipping in your listing to use calculated shipping and eliminate the guess work in setting a shipping price.

-.-

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

If you don't already have one and you ship light (<5kg) items in general, I highly recommend buying the Starfrit 5-kg. Digital Kitchen Scale from Canadian Tire when it goes on sale (I got mine for roughly $15 few years ago). It still works perfectly after so long and I have only had to change the battery a couple times. It's always accurate to whatever the postal scale weights to 1-2g (never had it off for more than 2 grams). It's gonna be one of your best investment ever with mail order. Even just today I went to a postal outlet to mail my 190g US Light Packet and the outlet's scale weighted 242g because the cord was pressing on the scale and affected the reading. If I didn't pre-weight everything at home I'd have unknowingly overpaid $2. 

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Canada 2016 (and 2015) oversize stamp rates
051-100g .. 1.87 (1.80)
101-200g .. 3.07 (2.95)
201-300g .. 4.26 (4.10)
301-400g .. 4.89 (4.70)
401-500g .. 5.25 (5.05)

Most of my lettermail falls in the 101-200 g range so it's been very convenient to simply affix one $1.80 stamp and one $1.20 stamp, each bought in books of six, or in rolls.  It's 5 cents more than I need to pay but it's convenient.  The 100g and under postage of $1.80 is also convenient.

But I'm thinking what the heck kind of face value will stamps have now.  Will they actually sell a $1.87 stamp .... maybe so, but it seems odd because stamps are usually sold in easy, round numbers, with the exception of the single standard stamp which has been 52 or 73 cents, or whatever over the years.  How do you make up $3.07.  Any combination I can think of would mean at least 3 stamps, if not more.  That's silly.

I forgot about the postal increase, to be honest .... I've had family issues to deal with.  But I'll ask when I go to the postal outlet this weekend.  Unless someone already knows ...........

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

New rates should show up online at the Canada Post web site this weekend. That is what happened last year and I found them on the same weekend if I recall correctly.

There is already one general document online stating the overall increases for 2016.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/2016_Parcel_RA_en.pdf

Average price increase

Annual price adjustments are consistent with industry practice and are necessary for
Canada Post to retain a competitive position in an ever-changing marketplace.

Domestic Prices for Domestic Parcel Services will increase by an overall average of 4.0% for most customers.

USA/International Prices for USA/International Parcel Services will see an average increase of 2.0% for most customers.

I am curious what is going to happen to Light Packet. Are they going to keep the weight breaks at 0-200, 201-300, 301-500 grams. I suspect they will make it match Small Packet weight breaks of 0-250 and 251-500. The rates for Light Packet are so close (even higher for 251-500 grams) to Small Packet now and more so in 2016 that there is not need for Light Packet service to exist anymore. We will see what happens in 2016.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I hope they won't take away the $5 for 200g USA Light Packet or the $7 for 300g USA Light Packet... that's what I use the most. I do have quite a number of items that falls in that 250-300g range and it's nice that I don't have to pay the 500g range, which is like $3 more! 

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

New rates should show up online at the Canada Post web site this weekend. That is what happened last year and I found them on the same weekend if I recall correctly.

There is already one general document online stating the overall increases for 2016.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/2016_Parcel_RA_en.pdf

Average price increase

Annual price adjustments are consistent with industry practice and are necessary for
Canada Post to retain a competitive position in an ever-changing marketplace.

Domestic Prices for Domestic Parcel Services will increase by an overall average of 4.0% for most customers.

USA/International Prices for USA/International Parcel Services will see an average increase of 2.0% for most customers.

I am curious what is going to happen to Light Packet. Are they going to keep the weight breaks at 0-200, 201-300, 301-500 grams. I suspect they will make it match Small Packet weight breaks of 0-250 and 251-500. The rates for Light Packet are so close (even higher for 251-500 grams) to Small Packet now and more so in 2016 that there is not need for Light Packet service to exist anymore. We will see what happens in 2016.

Honestly, I swear you can get around the F.B.I. files more easily than the Canada Post website.  Every time you click on an item of interest, you'll find yourself in a different part of their website; click the same item 5 minutes later, another part of the website, all telling you basically the same thing, just laid out in a different manner.  This has always been the worst website to manoeuvre.

I printed out their 2016 lettermail price sheets for Canada and the U.S a good two or three months ago.  But now, a month before the new rates go into effect, you still can't find price sheets for other shipping services but, in the general info I read, I didn't see light packet mentioned anywhere (just tracked and small packet).  I hope I'm wrong.

There are large and small businesses alike who need to know what their costs will be next year.  Hopefully these rates will be posted this weekend but, clearly, they should have been announced months ago so retailers can adjust their business plans.

In searching the Canada Post items for sale, there are still no stamps available for 2016, just the current ones.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

"no stamps available for 2016, just the current ones."

The "P" (permanent) stamps available at this time will continue to have the same value in 2016, 2017, 2018 etc...

As far as other or higher values are concerned, you can buy current value $1.20 plus one $0.05 stamp for example for the USA letterpost, etc....
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

If I recall, the new rates start January 11, that's when the new stamps are available, although I may have heard wrong from my PM.
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

As I suspected, documents on the new Parcel rates showed up on the Canada Post site overnight.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/SBParcels-e.pdf

The document says commercial rate and confidential. So it will be showing a 5% lower rate for Venture one discount if it follows the pattern from the past years. Later I will find a document with the retail rates. I am always surprised that the document says confidential yet it is found using Google search on the second weekend in December for the past three years when I look using "2016 Canada Post parcel rates".

Small Packet do not have a discount so they should be the correct rates for ebay sellers and over the counter rates.

Small Packet USA

0-250     $8.36 (from $8.13  +$0.23  +2.83% )

251-500  $11.07 (from $10.79  +$0.37  +3.43%)

501-1kg  $16.65 (from $16.23  +$0.42   +2.59%)

Small Packet Air International (Just region 2 Europe posted) (Too lazy to post all the weight breaks up to 2 kg)

0-250 $9.78  (from $9.49  +$0.29  +3.06%)

251-500 $19.55  (from $18.98  +$0.57 +3.00%)

So the rates are in the  4% or lower range as the other document I posted stated.

No Light Packet rates in this document. LP usually gets forgotten and is added later or put in a separate document for the first few days.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

As I suspected, documents on the new Parcel rates showed up on the Canada Post site overnight.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/SBParcels-e.pdf

The document says commercial rate and confidential. So it will be showing a 5% lower rate for Venture one discount if it follows the pattern from the past years. Later I will find a document with the retail rates. I am always surprised that the document says confidential yet it is found using Google search on the second weekend in December for the past three years when I look using "2016 Canada Post parcel rates".

Small Packet do not have a discount so they should be the correct rates for ebay sellers and over the counter rates.

Small Packet USA

0-250     $8.36 (from $8.13  +$0.23  +2.83% )

251-500  $11.07 (from $10.79  +$0.37  +3.43%)

501-1kg  $16.65 (from $16.23  +$0.42   +2.59%)

Small Packet Air International (Just region 2 Europe posted) (Too lazy to post all the weight breaks up to 2 kg)

0-250 $9.78  (from $9.49  +$0.29  +3.06%)

251-500 $19.55  (from $18.98  +$0.57 +3.00%)

So the rates are in the  4% or lower range as the other document I posted stated.

No Light Packet rates in this document. LP usually gets forgotten and is added later or put in a separate document for the first few days.

For Tracked Packet US, it looks like the base price also went up a small amount.

TP USA

0-250 $15.42 (from $15.12 +$0.30  +1.98%)

251-500 $16.07 (from $15.75  +$0.32  +2.03%)

501-1kg $18.55 (from $18.19  +$0.36  +1.98%)

TP International Region 2 (Europe)

0-250 $41.86 (from $41.04  +$0.82 +2.00%)

2511-500  $44.64 (from 43.76  +$0.88  +1.97%)

Message 20 of 27
latest reply