Probable Postal shutdown Monday

fort2b
Community Member

Just in case others have been lulled into not following the CP Strike threads, like I was, I thought i'd bring this to everyone's attention.

CUPW will almost certainly be issuing a 72 hour strike notice Thursday before midnight.  CP will no doubt immediately respond with a 72 hour lockout notice.  This means the postal system will shut down as of Sunday midnight. 

Trudeau is still saying the Gov't will not intervene.  This could go on for a very long time. 

I see now why Palecek doesn't want binding arbitration.....an arbitrator for the Rural Postmaster Union has recently decided in CP's favour and against a defined benefit pension plan for new hires.....CUPW would no doubt receive the same ruling..

CUPW is now the only union working at Canada Post that is holding out. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Their actions don't get them the goods though. They didn't get what they fought for last time and it's seriously unlikely they will this time especially since what they are demanding is something that CP literally can't afford.

CUPW is taking a huge risk because due to technology, postal workers don't have power that they had years ago.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

You're highlighting the reason it's necessary to organize industrially.  I'm a Wobbly, and when we organize a workplace, we organize the entire workplace, so that the bosses can't use the workers against each other.  Craft unionism results in situations like you have in Sudbury, where different locals of the same union end up scabbing against each other because of their collective agreements.  The general strike is the holy grail of unionism: when one downs tools, all down tools.  It's the only power we have against the bosses, and why you should all be supporting CUPW here.  They're on the front line, fighting the ruthless advance of neo-liberalism, and if they lose it'll be you next.

iwwpatch.jpg

Message 22 of 22
latest reply