Process to refund possibly lost shipment to Mexico

I typically only ship to the US and Canada but a buyer in Mexico asked if I could ship there. The shipping was similar to so agreed and I used ChitChats which handed it off to USPS Priority a couple of days later.  I dropped it off on Nov 25 and now 5 weeks later it still has not arrived. The last tracking update was Dec 2 saying it had left Mexico city for the destination.

The buyer messaged me yesterday saying it had not arrived yet so I'm just going to refund him if there's no update by Monday and Mexico is now permanently off my destination list.

So my question is about the process to refund. Should I just refund via Paypal and leave everything else alone? Could that somehow leave me open to him opening a case with Ebay and forcing me to refund twice or will Ebay know about my refund via Paypal? What is the best course of action to avoid defects and drama?

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

With so many carriers, I would ask the buyer for a little more time.

Five weeks to Mexico is not unusual and they have a notoriously bad postal system.

The item is tracked?

Has the last day for delivery given the customer by eBay passed?

If not, do not refund. It is on its way and both eBay and Paypal should back you on that.

If the deadline has passed, ask the buyer to open a Not Delivered dispute with eBay. Then put the last known tracking number into the Dispute. This should give you more time.

Do NOT refund until eBay tells you to, then refund PROMPTLY.

The prompt refund covers you against any defects on your seller account.

If claiming non-delivery is a practice with the buyer (and I'm certainly not saying it is, because: Mexico Correos) he may not even file the Dispute because he doesn't want to be on eBay's radar.

What is the value of the item including all your shipping charges?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the info.

Total value including shipping is $40 and Estimated date of delivery was Dec 28.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

So we are looking at two days late at a time when shipping world wide is chaotic and where the shipment is being handled by a notoriously bad postal system.

Ask that they wait to the New Year Jan 4th or 5th, given the circumstances.

Be sympathetic and polite, and if he insists on an immediate refund, ask that he open the eBay dispute to "keep your records straight".

Again, that should give you a few days grace.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The best way for you to refund is for them to open an item not received case and you would then refund through the case. It's best to have a paper trail directly from eBay and that's how they prefer it to be done.   I  might ask the buyer to wait another week or so  as mail services are very slow right now but that's up to you. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Over the years I've sent 3 packages to Mexico and only one of those packages apparently made it to the buyer.  I've heard a lot of negative things about their mail system so that is one of the countries that I always block.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

If the buyer has simply enquired, for sure don't do anything other than politely respond back that everything is behind right now, and as femme et al have suggested make the buyer uses the ebay process. You are quite a ways from actually losing the money just yet, a bit early perhaps to "swear off" Mexico as a destination.

Here are form letters I use regularly, the 2nd one is the one to use when a case has not yet been opened... it works very well for me in my (stamp) world, hopefully an adjusted version will work for you too..

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/RICARMICs-current-INR-questions-or-Case-form-letters/m-p...

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The best way for you to refund is for them to open an item not received case and you would then refund through the case. It's best to have a paper trail directly from eBay and that's how they prefer it to be done.   I  might ask the buyer to wait another week or so  as mail services are very slow right now but that's up to you. 

^^^^ This!

Plus, USPS Priority comes with insurance, either $50 or $100 depending on how you bought the label. You should be able to file a claim for this directly with USPS.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I would ask the buyer to wait more.  I had several buyers who had purchased from me in November, sent through chit chats, USPS media mail to New York and they are stuck in a Black Hole, they will be delivered but I think not until the new year. 

Just reassure them that if it doesn't arrive you will refund them.   Did you purchase chit chats insurance?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

here's my read on it.  you are a fairly new seller.  scam artists from foreign countries with sketchy postal systems often prey on newbie sellers who dont know there are certain countries in the world you just cant ship to safely from Canada, and Mexico is one of them.  

Its one of two things - they know they can just claim its lost and you'll have to refund, or they are clueless and just want the item.  My bet is likely the former.  This guy took a chance that you wouldn't know and it paid off for him, he got a freebie in the offside chance it got thru.  Either way, whether its the buyer who is dishonest or the postal service, the result is the same - you are out the dough.  

Diligent buyers from latin and south American countries use parcel forwarding services in Florida or Texas to buy their items because they know their postal services are unreliable.  They use these services to be insured they get their item.  

Its not to say all items get lost going to these countries, but its a common scam in non first world countries.   My experience has been scattershot but the only South American country that you can pretty much expect 100% of the time that stuff will not get there is Argentina.  From my experience, the only country in latin and south America that has a reliable postal service you can expect items to get to without tracking (and a place where citizens understand that their postal service is slow and dont hassle you when stuff doesn't arrive "on time") is Chile.   Brazil is also too hit and miss to take the chance on, except for Sao Paulo and metropolitan area, I think I have only ever had one item going to Sao Paulo that did not make it to destination over the years.

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way when you start out, and this is one of those times.  Coming from a fellow Canadian, I would add Mexico onto your blocked list and forget about them.  As I said, they can always use a parcel forwarding service in the US and they can always order stuff if they set up an address and postal box in a US border town, I have had a bunch of Mexican customers who do that, one guy who drives 7 hours (!!!) to pick up the stuff he orders.  This same guy also told me "dont ship to Mexico!" lol 

So next time someone from a country you have decided is too risky to ship to messages you to ask if you will ship there, just politely reply that you dont ship there and leave it at that, its not worth the hassle of having to go thru what you did and still be out the money for your item.  

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks, yeah I had 0 issues when I restricted my selling to only Canada and the US and the first time I gave in to a request outside that I have an issue! Lesson learned, thanks for the help everyone.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply