Proving Delivery when Paying at CP counter.

byto253
Community Member

How do you prove delivery when you pay at the Canada Post counter?  The receipt you are given only has the zip or postal code on it, it does not have the address shipped to.  Even if something is tracked you do not have proof that the tracking was for the buyer's address, just their area. 

I am not looking for input to buy online labels where there is a record, just wondering about this specific situation of where you drop something off. 

Would a picture of that Canada Post generated label with the address and tracking number do the trick, along with the receipt you get?   

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

When you pay at the counter your receipt should have tracking number with bar code. You could take a picture for added comfort but as long as you have the tracking number the details are within that number.

You can track the number on the Canada Post web site. You can also manually add the tracking number here to your eBay sale. Under orders, there is "add tracking number" I believe immediately under the order on left side. If you put the tracking number in here both you and the buyer can track from the eBay site.

(Though try not to look too often as it will drive you crazy!)

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

For sellers to be covered by the seller protection, eBay requires a tracking number that shows a successful delivery. On eBay's internal system, Canada Post sometimes shows the delivery postal code, but it is not always accurate. 

eBay requires signature confirmation on items with a total (price+tax+shipping) of $750 or more. If you do not use a service that offers signature confirmation, it does not matter if there is tracking, you are not covered.

Once an item is marked delivered, you fulfilled your obligation under eBay seller protection. While I am sure there might be a horror story about someone losing a case over an item marked as delivered, 99.99 percent of the time you're covered. Whether you choose to assist the buyer in the name of good customer service is a different discussion. 

If you're extremely paranoid about an expensive item being claimed as not delivered, you can print the label on Canada Post's website and use the send to post office feature. This means that the package will not be left on the porch of the buyer. It will be delivered directly to the post office. I would only use this for expensive or very unique items. Not because you expect to be scammed, but because human error does happen with Canada Post. Everyone has received a letter or a package that wasn't meant for their house. Porch pirates exist, etc. This is overkill 9/10 times though. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The details actually are not in the tracking number, or not easily accessed.  I have an AllStar manager at my Post Office who knows his stuff and I asked him if he can pull up the address a package was sent to using the tracking number on a receipt and he could not, just the tracking info.   

So if you have an INR claim and only have the tracking number, you do not have any evidence linking that tracking number to the delivery address.   I am not sure if you have a claim against Canada Post insurance if they can pull up the actuall address from head office, but I have a suspicion it may not.  

For US deliveries you can have the customs form you fill out for scanning ahead of time that has the delivery info, but that does not link the address to that tracking number.   

I don't use that shipping method to often but did have a chat with a rep a few months ago that was not impressed with just a tracking number and zip/area code.  Something for folks to watch out for. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

In the US delivery is based on the zip code.  I would guess that in Canada they base it on the delivery postal code or perhaps just the city.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Sorry, I thought the tracking number had additional info attached (including addresses) but I'm no expert!!

I once had a buyer inquire about a package that showed "delivery to mailbox" but they didn't have it. On further investigation with Canada Post customer service they found it was left in wrong mailbox and they did (luckily) get it properly to my customer who was appreciative I'd stepped in to try and find what happend.

I rarely have expensive items but I have made use of opening a ticket on the odd missing items which have been found...they would only have had to reimburse my postage, but since they don't want to do even that if they don't have to they tend to dig a little deeper and (knock on wood) have always found my packages (but I'm also under $100 with no additional coverage).

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

In the US delivery is based on the zip code.  I would guess that in Canada they base it on the delivery postal code or perhaps just the city.  

For what it's worth, I just checked the tracking on a domestic Xpresspost item with signature confirmation that I received yesterday.  My wife verbally "signed" for it.  The tracking information shows delivery to my town, and whoever is viewing the tracking information has to input my postal code to get more delivery confirmation information, which does not include the item's destination address.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Canadian postal codes cover a very small number of addresses. Some high rise buildings will have two or three postal codes, for different floors.

US zipcodes cover larger areas, a problem since they are not as extendible as alpha-numeric codes.

If you are worried, google the address and add the four digits that give a more precise location.

In any case, Not Received disputes are less frequent than you might think from reading these Boards where people come with problems.

There is a running complaint on the dotCOM boards from buyers who were scammed by sellers who send something to the right zipcode but the wrong address.  EBay tends to side with the seller. Which is a Bad Thing generally, but is helpful for worried sellers.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply