Puerto Rico lost package.

zank60
Community Member

Hello,

I have shipped a parcel to Puerto Rico for the first time, I never shipped there before and the buyer said that the package was never delivered, so I paid it back for all,  the kit, the shipping and the taxes, I never lost a package in the mail maybe I'm lucky because I have shipped all over the world, what are you experiences with shipping to Puerto Rico?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hi zank60

I've shipped percussion instruments to Puerto Rico and found the customers to be top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to ship there. A package can go missing in any country including Canada. 

You've proven you offer the best possible customer service by processing the refund and absorbing the costs. I know it hurts but you should give yourself a pat on the back!

You didn't say how it was shipped. Everything sent by Canada Post Expedited or USA Tracked Package includes $100 insurance. (Puerto Rico shipments can go US Tracked Package and not International Tracked Package). You may be able to file a claim to get your shipping cost and the cost of the item back from them. They are very good to honour the insurance they offer.  

I don't know what you sell but adding tracking to long distance orders is a way to avoid loss. 

Best wishes.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

A small correction to what itimewithmusic wrote... everything shipped with Canada Post that has tracking includes $100 insurance. There is no insurance anymore for small packets.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

zank60
Community Member

Unfortunately the shipping I have used did not have tracking  or insurance but I always use this shipping method for shipping non expensive items outside Canada, maybe it's a mistake to not do so. But thanks for the replies I really appreciate that.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Evereyone who ships worldwide (or even those that don't) will have the occasional lost package.

I think I did fairly well through 2020, 1 lost for Germany, Greece, Chile and even the USA. Worst year since the Iceland volcano in 2011. All the losses were in  the late March to May time period when shipping service worldwide were disrupted.

As far a Puerto Rico, I've shipped there, no isssues of consequence,. the addresses need to verified and often reformated to be accurate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Most Canadian sellers do not use tracking on low value shipments (and each of us decides what Low Value means to us) on the basis that lost sales are more expensive than the occasional INR claim.

Most people are honest and will not fake an INR on a $10 purchase.

The biggest problem with Puerto Rico is that eBay in some places identifies it as USA (which it is with a USPSzipcode and everything) and in other places thinks it is International. We have to pay attention so as not to overcharge our buyers.

If the item were shipped Small Package, it does not really have tracking, but there is a bar code which USPS often mistakes for tracking. Enter that on general principles if you are using Small Packet, but don't trust that it will do anything for you. Just cross all your fingers and toes.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
A possible consideration is that Puerto Rico is still far from fully recovered from 2017’s Hurricane Maria, thanks largely to the previous US administration’s handling of the disaster.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

My items to PR were generally excellent over the years - about 10 items delivered successfully and only one INR. However, since Christmas 2020, I've had to stop shipping International since 40% of items were getting lost and the cost to reimburse became too high.  Just think of all the new temporary employees working at post office depts. around the world that may or may not be dedicated to their new found employ. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I don’t think I’ve lost anything to Puerto Rico before but after losing a few packages internationally I recently switched to shipping to only countries that Shippo’s Shipsurance provides insurance for and insuring every package regardless of value. It has provided me more piece of mind although sometimes getting buyers to verify the claim is like pulling teeth. And some buyers file a claim the second it passed the expected shipping date garbage that eBay puts for small packet (but insurance claims need to wait 40 calendar days). Other than some occasional wrinkles I’ve had to smooth, it has been helpful for buyers and me. You may want to consider that. $1ish for each $100 in insurance is quite helpful.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I've shipped to PR several times, but never lost a package... there was damage one time, however.

I use Chit Chats to ship all my US packages now. It's amazing value for US sales, and for my small items, i can totally compete with US sellers.

It's crazy that i can ship tracked and insured to PR for $6 and it costs double that to ship to someone just down the street!
Message 10 of 10
latest reply