Question for the expert sellers - Buyer says parts are missing that weren't included in the listing

Hi,

We are still a fairly young eBay seller, but have 151 feedback and are still 100% positive. 

We recently had a buyer purchase an item, then when they received it they sent a message saying it was missing a piece, and they clearly specified which piece was missing. The item was a used toy, and the piece they are saying is missing wasn't included anywhere in the listing, and wasn't shown in any photos. It was an accessory that may have been included when the toy was new, but frankly it wasn't part of the listing at all, so how can it be missing? The listing states that the toy is used and not in original packaging, and clearly lists what is included, as well as having photos to show exactly what they are getting. The buyer has requested a return for "missing parts" which requires us to pay return shipping. 

More than likely we will accommodate them to keep our 100% feedback score and just take the hit, but I wanted to know if we have any other recourse? Is this something we can dispute through eBay since the buyer has sent a message saying the piece that's missing and we have the listing to prove it was never included?

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Question for the expert sellers - Buyer says parts are missing that weren't included in the list

You can try and phone eBay or use the social media platforms to contact them.

They can manually review the transaction and sometimes they will agree with you and change the return to buyer remorse and require buyer pay postage. Worth a shot. Some members have reported some success.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Question for the expert sellers - Buyer says parts are missing that weren't included in the list

You've answered your own question.  If your goal is to maintain 100% feedback, allowing them to return it is your best course of action.  Any deviation from that increases your chance of negative feedback.

Ian

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I don't know what your description said exactly, but IMO when selling items on the second hand market like you are it's the seller's responsibility to point out in writing all the "flaws" in the item whenever possible.  Sometimes a picture is enough but not always.  Even though you may not have been aware that the item originally had another piece it's your job to know these things and when you don't sometimes you have to pay for those errors.

That said the buyer could have asked before purchasing but many don't.

I'd offer a partial refund but if the buyer declines you should pay return postage.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The buyer has requested a return for "missing parts" which requires us to pay return shipping.

Send the return shipping.

If the buyer is in the US you can send a USPS label using Shippo.

You are in the right, but you can't win.

Get the item back in good condition and resell it.

Keep it as polite as possible, and come here for tea and sympathy.

The customer can leave feedback whether you cooperate or not.

While feedback has no effect with eBay on your selling account, it does make lower feedback sellers vulnerable.

And losing a Dispute, which is likely, will lead to a Defect with does affect your ability to sell.

I would suggest that you ask the customer to file a Dispute with eBay "to keep the transaction on record".

Sometimes that makes a frequent complainer nervous and ends the discussion.

Overly frequent disputes have occasionally been reported as leading to eBay closing buyer accounts.  Disputes are an expense  for eBay too.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I agree with sylviebee. Try to work out some form of compensation with your buyer. Some are cooperative when it comes to used items.  I have bought a few items in the past that were not quite as described or otherwise disappointing and when pointed out to the seller, they were glad to give me a partial refund instead of going through the hassle of a return process. An example of a partial refund could be a reimbursement of the shipping cost or a certain percentage of the item cost. If the buyer is adamant about getting a full refund, obviously it won't work but it's worth a try.

Also, when you sell used items, along with clearly detailed pictures of the actual item you can also indicate that you get what is described and shown in the pictures. Nothing else included. Ask questions before bidding/buying.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply