Quick question for those of you that sell trading cards, stamps, or other flat paper-type items...

I have a bunch of trading cards I acquired that I want to sell. Most of them have value individually so I'd like to sell them that way.

Question about shipping - obviously I could just toss them in an envelope and send by regular Lettermail with an $0.85 stamp (properly protected, of course). This is no problem if mailing in Canada.

What do you guys do for sales to the U.S.? Obviously, if I wanted to be particular it should be sent as Light Packet with a customs declaration, but that costs nearly $4... I could send it as Letterpost to the U.S. with a $1.20 stamp.

Those of you that ship flat, paper-shaped objects - do you pay extra and send it by Light Packet, or just toss a stamp on it and send it Letterpost? The obvious concern with doing the latter is that it might get declined at customs and returned to me, but I don't know how likely that is since it's just a flat piece of paper I'm sending (inside a flat protective plastic sleeve); I don't think it would be conspicuous enough for them to open and check.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Quick question for those of you that sell trading cards, stamps, or other flat paper-type items...

I don't sell trading cards, however I am selling CD's.  I used to send them without the jewel case and was able to send them letter mail to everywhere.  I didn't have a problem, did it for about 1 1/2 years.  When the rates went up in April, I changed the shipping for the CD's and now ship with the jewel case light packet.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I used to sell trading cards prior to that category being excluded from the majority of promotions and from the 50 free monthly listings.

I found cards (unless low Ser #'ed, rookie card, memorabilia, or auto'd of a good player/person) only sold well as fixed price.

My average card sold for $2.00-3.50, now that I have to pay the $0.30 to list it is not worth it. Not to mention my sell through rate was low. On a monthly average I had 1500 cards listed and would sell 30-120 cards per months. 

As far as shipping is concerned I always sent it via letter mail to Canada and US and never had a problem as long as its thin enough to fit into the small slot (5mm I believe it is) and the weight is below 30grams. 

As a final note as long as you have good trading cards/sports cards and willing to offer them at rock bottom prices its a tough sell but not impossible.

Good Luck!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

This spring I picked up a whack of unused greeting cards with their envelopes for cheap, and they make great mailers for light items.  The card provides protection, and the envelope is custom fitted to the card so everything is nice and snug.  Many are blanks, and sometimes in my e-mail telling a buyer a shipment has gone I give them a heads up that the item is in a card as it gives good protection - usually if I used an event specific card.  So far the buyers have liked it and I get good packing feedback.  

This is using letter rate and stamps bought at below face value.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

moviemerchmania-- With the high number of listings you have, consider getting a Store. My Store listings are only a nickel a month.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I sell Old Postcards Worldwide. I send them as an oversized letter in a size 0 bubble envelope with double cardboard backings . My Shipping and Handling charge is $2.05 U.S. Within Canada, $3.10 U.S. To The U.S. and $5.50 U.S. International. (This includes the cost of the Envelope) I can send up to 10 to 12 postcards in one mailing for those charges (as long as they are under 100 grams) depending on the thickness of the cards.If over 100 grams charges may be approx $1.00 to $1.50 more. weavers
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I sell postcards and just send them letter mail at $1.20 to the USA. I put them in plastic sleeves between 2 pieces of light cardboard. I have only a couple get lost in the mail. No problem with customs. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Awesome, thanks for your responses everyone! Seems like I was worrying about nothing.

And to moviemerchmania: They are Pokemon cards, so I've had some success selling the rarer ones for decent money ($5-20+). I've just been listing them as 7 day auctions, and they get automatically relisted three times, so they stay up for three weeks if anyone wants to bid on them or BIN. Sucks that they removed collectibles from the eligible free BIN listings, but what can you do. I will consider opening a store if my card auctions aren't successful, but I'll see how it goes.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply