Registering for selling on eBay using VOIP

Heads up for anyone planning to register a new account on eBay using VOIP

As per Devon the following:

1.When it comes to us being able to verify phone numbers for selling, we only allow SMS enabled numbers in order to verify ownership of a selling account. This means that members have to use mobile numbers from a cell phone carrier to begin selling. 

2.For now any new sellers will have to have a mobile phone number that can be verified through our system via SMS. As our security system evolves we will be sure to share any updates to all of our members.

3. In the past sellers were able to use VoIP numbers to register for a selling account and will still be able to sell. For any new sellers they will be required to have a mobile phone number to verify in order to sell. 

4.For accounts that are being used for buying only that will work. For accounts that are wanting to sell we can only have them verified through mobile numbers that receives SMS. We no longer use VoIP numbers for verification for selling accounts. 

Explanation:

https://virtual-phone-systems.bestreviews.net/sorry-voip-phone-number-is-not-allowed/

Suggested workaround "may" be as follows:

Try signing up for a Google Voice account and see if that works. I can't recall if that's what I used to initially sign up. But it's what phone number is there now. And has no trouble with Two-Factor at least.

Not sure if anyone else has come up against this but passing on just in case. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Registering for selling on eBay using VOIP

I ran into a "similar" problem once doing an in-store pick-up for computer components, in order to get a QR code to use for the pick-up I had to "verify my identity" via a code sent using SMS, not having a cell phone myself I just used a friends number, code was sent to him, I entered the code as required and got my QR code to print out. No idea if that would work for eBay.

eBay constatly wants me to verify my phone number and forced me to that page after a sign-in, since I can't (not a cell phone) I then have to use a bookmarked eBay page to continue.

All my selling id's were registered long before this requirement, actually back in the days when "cell phone" equaled blackberry!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@recped wrote:

I ran into a "similar" problem once doing an in-store pick-up for computer components, in order to get a QR code to use for the pick-up I had to "verify my identity" via a code sent using SMS, not having a cell phone myself I just used a friends number, code was sent to him, I entered the code as required and got my QR code to print out. No idea if that would work for eBay.

eBay constatly wants me to verify my phone number and forced me to that page after a sign-in, since I can't (not a cell phone) I then have to use a bookmarked eBay page to continue.

All my selling id's were registered long before this requirement, actually back in the days when "cell phone" equaled blackberry!

I inquired if there would be an issue if a long time seller would have a problem setting up a new (secondary) account. There was no answer to that question. It was advised that the concern would be passed on to support.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

They can tell if a number is voip? You can get voip service with sms support.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

But you still need a smart phone to use it.

If you only have a landline, you are without a paddle.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

But you still need a smart phone to use it.

If you only have a landline, you are without a paddle.

Welcome to paddling in circles. Current discussion from EcommerceBytes on the subject and the frustration the issue is causing.

Is eBay Requiring Sellers to Provide Their Cell Phone Number?

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2022/12/1671389208.html/1/0#1671466440

-Lotz

Message 6 of 6
latest reply