Reporting a buyer

How do I report a buyer to Ebay. A customer purchased a card in June, left feedback already, and today, December, sent me an email wanting a full refund because he never received the card. Smells fishy!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Reporting a buyer

Before you do anything I suggest messaging them back, letting them know they left feedback already and asking if they sent the message to you by mistake. I suspect they have.

I happen to sell to an older crowd and stuff like this happens a few times a year to me. 

Most of the time when I send a polite "did you mean this for me" email back it turns out yep, they sent it to me by accident.....too often we assume our buyers are eBay conversant, and at least in my categories that is sometimes definitely not the case.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Reporting a buyer

I reached out to the customer first. He said he left neutral feedback because it was taking so long to arrive. His actual feedback suggests he liked the card and even at that point he left a 1/5 for shipping. In another email he has asked me for a store credit if he can't get a refund. I would really like to have Ebay look into this but I have no idea how to report it.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Reporting a buyer

What would be reporting them for? 

Personally I'm not sure I would even reply to such a request but I might and the response would be something like "I'm sorry to hear that but given the amount of time that has passed it is too late".

Before I responded I would make sure this wasn't just some phishing expedition randomly sent to you with enough vagueness that you might think it was real and perhaps click a link within the message.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Reporting a buyer

Did you track the item?

If you did, tell him to file a Dispute to keep the transaction on record.

Then when he does, enter the tracking number as Proof of Delivery. 

You will win the Dispute.

Then Block the customer -- including communication if possible.

If you did not, you would lose a Dispute, so you might as well refund now.

Many sellers of low value products don't track because it is very expensive and because false claims of non-delivery* are rare, less than one percent annually.

The loss is a tax deduction.

And the higher number of sales sent untracked makes up for the (again, rare) loss.

He had only 30 days from Delivery to open a Not Received case. He had 180 days from payment to open a case with Paypal's Buyer Protection. The latter may still be available to him so check your Sold list.

*Most "non-delivery" claims are honest, but are based on slow delivery rather than actual loss in the mailstream.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Reporting a buyer

byto253
Community Member

I has been over 5 months, is it not to late for a buyer to file a shipping dispute? 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Reporting a buyer

I have decided to send the buyer a replacement card. I hope this buyer isn't doing this to other sellers...thats why I wanted to report this issue to Ebay. thanks to all who replied....may God bless each of you!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Reporting a buyer

Don't .

He has no entitlement to anything from you.

And encouraging bad behaviour only makes it worse for other sellers.

There is a reason eBay puts a 30 day deadline on Disputes and a 60 day deadline on Feedback.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply