Russian Regulatory Changes

Earlier this week we were surprised to learn that ALL Russian transactions must now provide a “Russia internal passport identification number” (also known as an “Internal Passport ID” or “tax ID”).  Before this change a “Russia internal passport identification number” was only required on items over 200 Euros.

For GSP transactions, we have arranged with our international shipping provider to establish a means for providing this information. This may include automatic notification emails to both buyer and seller, making all parties aware that the additional information is needed before the item can be received at its final destination.

GSP transactions will function as before, but be advised that you may see a slight increase in estimated delivery date.

For transactions outside the GSP please be aware that some larger carriers have suspended shipping to Russia, at least temporarily. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Just out of curiosity, just what is this? When I googled Russian Internal Passport ID no. it looked as if it was an ID no. given to people in the Russian Federation. Why would we need one or do you mean that the Russian buyer needs one in order to make a purchase? (Not that I sell to Russia any longer anyway - too many problems).

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Hi vintagenorth. 

This was simply posted as an FYI, in case any Russian buyers made a purchase and came across the new regulations. We thought sellers should be aware. 

---Bennett

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Are you saying that the information has to be on the outside of the package and therefore be provided by the seller?

Or just that the buyer must provide that information when they pick up the item? Based on what I have read, any Russian citizen over the age of 14 has an internal passport so the buyer should already have the information available.

I actually had someone from Russia purchase an item today so I am wondering how this works.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Communism and Big Brother is far from dead in Russia.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Winter Olympics is starting in a couple of weeks in Sochi Russia. I think they are tightening up security for international mail.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I wish we had had this information sooner as I would have blocked Russian buyers.  I just received an email from a newbie Russian buyer this morning asking why she hasn't received her item (shipped Jan. 8), and why there is no tracking for a $16 item shipped Light Packet.

In the email, in broken English, she asked why I have in my listing that this deserves a 5 star review.  I DO NOT mention ratings in any of my listing or in my invoices.  A veiled threat?  Most likely.  I don't even know what to tell her about the new regulation.

I realize you posted this information as soon as you received it.  Thank you for posting it.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Western.... you might want to check to make sure you are the right person, it has happened to me before that they are complaining to me about something they bought from someone else.... and have confused who sold them what.....especially if she is referencing stuff that is not in your listing details.....

PS if it is in broken English it has probably been translated from Russian - what I do in these situations is send my response in English and Russian (I use bing translator) and I translate it to Russian and back again to make sure I'm not swearing at them or anything....

On a different note, I too am worried about this I am shipping a lot of stuff to Russia these days......

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Fedex and DHL are suspending incoming shipments to Russia from Jan 27 due to buerocracy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/23/us-dhl-russia-idUSBREA0M1JX20140123

Some people here are complaining about Harper being a dictator and abusing power, should try living in Putinostan for some time.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Actually I had been thinking too, after I emailed her, that perhaps she did get that message from another seller.  I checked her FB of which she has only 2 including one from me. and the other was from a Chinese seller.  They often send out messages like that so I emailed her again in that regard.  Hopefully all will work out and her package will arrive.

I have used that translator before but didn't this time.  Her English seemed good enough that I thought she would understand what I had written back...at least I hope so.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I received a message from the Russian buyer today apologizing for her previous email!  I sent her a nice note in reply.  It will all work out now as long as she receives her order.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

There is a thread about the new Russia customs policy on the U.S. Powerseller board and one post from a seller there caught my interest.

Today on eBay Radio (January 28th)they had the USPS employee who handles eBay account and he specifically addressed the changes regarding shipment to Russia and advised that this rule affects private couriers (such as UPS/Fedex) but it does not apply to shipments through the USPS.  If you want to listen to the show later in the archives it was in one of the first few segements but I don't remember exactly where. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

If anybody at eBay had a clue and studied the matter more than just reading a headline they would have understood that ALL references to this issue specified private couriers and never once mentioned shipments sent through the post.

Meanwhile their announcement about Argentina is completely lacking in details, it mentioned delays and gave a link to a Spanish only website. Nothing said about the details of the situation which really have nothing to do with delays and all about how the Argentinian government has effectively put an end to imports by consumers.

http://postandparcel.info/59698/news/regulation/argentina-imposes-tight-restrictions-on-cross-border...

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I am impressed with you to know how could you send a good note to a Russian regulatory buyer on sent you an apologized mail to you. So thanks for it, I just said on behalf of her, Because I am also a Russian regulations buyer. Also apologized my mistakes if you couldn't like me. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 14
latest reply