SELLING BOOK LOTS

Hi all -  Just wondering if any sellers might have any helpful tips on selling book lots on ebay?  I've sold a few lots previously and have had some success.  I realize the main limitation is the higher cost of shipping here in Canada.  Just wondering what others have done/experienced when selling book lots.  Any constructive tips would be most appreciated!  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

SELLING BOOK LOTS

Well it looks like no one on ebay has ever sold a book lot!!!  Oh well, thought it might be an interesting topic; but apparently I was mistaken.  Guess I will just list more lots as I have in the past!

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

SELLING BOOK LOTS

Thanks for the link, but I DO realize that there are book lots listed.  My original post was asking what kind of experiences other folks might have had when they listed book lots on Ebay.  Thought it might be an interesting topic, but I guess not.... Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

SELLING BOOK LOTS

I do find the topic interesting and it would be nice to know more about book lots.

The problem is the high cost of shipping, the lack of interest in books today, and figuring out what lot of books might appeal to a book lover who most likely has most of the books to offer in a lot.

What do you offer in a lot so that a buyer might be interested in a lot of books? A specific author? A specific theme?

I see that you sell magazines and a lot is usually a magazine title and a year of issues. But what about books.

One way would be to offer a list of books in one listing and a pick 5 of the list. But choice listings are not allowed on eBay.  To me that would be the best way to sell books in one listing. Of course, there would be buyers that think they get all of the books instead of 5.  A choice listing eBay format could possibly be a good format for books, magazines, CD's. Somehow the listing keeps track of what titles have been sold to avoid duplicate sales of the same item. Figuring out the shipping would be an issues depending on the book sizes and weights.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

SELLING BOOK LOTS

I "think" there are not many book sellers. Even fewer that do "lots". Shipping is not your friend.

OP, your question would be suited if we had an idea of the genre you are inquiring about.

I equate selling books with clothes. It is tough.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

SELLING BOOK LOTS

Hi - Thanks for joining the discussion. 

Yes shipping is definitely a big challenge when shipping books.  Since we're stuck with Canada Posts ridiculous rates; trying to figure out what sells best is a priority. 

I've had some luck selling individual Art books at pretty good prices, but it is hit or miss.  Haven't tried selling them in lots yet though. 

A specific theme might be worthwhile.  I once sold a nearly complete run of "Dark Shadows" paperbacks for $$250 with free shipping included.  I had collected them back in the seventies when you could pick up used paperbacks for about ten to twenty cents.  I think my investment in them was about $8.  So even with the free shipping and Ebay/Paypay fees, I managed a nice profit. 

It also helped that when I listed them the movie version of "Dark Shadows" was in the theaters and being advertised on the TV.  So timing might also help sales.  I remember when Micheal Jackson died fairly common books, magazines, etc. were selling for crazy prices on Ebay for a few days.

I've sold complete year runs of magazines for $100 plus.  So that area has potential.  Once again though I think it would very much depend on which magazine as some seem to be much more collectable than others.

I would not list book lots where buyers could pick from a list the titles they want; could lead to misunderstandings with buyers as you mention. 

I don't think CD lots are generally worthwhile unless perhaps you group them by artist, theme, etc.  I've noticed plenty of common CD's listed in lots and it doesn't look like it is worthwhile.  Common CD titles are usually worth almost nothing on Ebay.  Rare ones would be worthwhile - I've seen some go for insanely high prices.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

SELLING BOOK LOTS

Check out ottokitty's link 3 posts above yours.  Lots of Lots selling on Ebay. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

SELLING BOOK LOTS

Book lots ---- Canada Only

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Books-/267/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lot&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

close to 7,000 listings

with ... close to 900 lots sold over the last 90 days....

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

SELLING BOOK LOTS

"with ... close to 900 lots sold over the last 90 days...."

and 16,000 listings unsold.

Works out to a 6% sell through rate with 94% not sold.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Books-/267/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lot&LH_PrefLoc=1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Not an easy business to be in when selling by mail.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

SELLING BOOK LOTS

865 lots sold in three months

Looks like  3460 lots in  sold

Message 11 of 11
latest reply