Seller doesnt like the shipping costs.

Hi all, a customer bought an item from me, without enquiring about shipping costs. buyer is in Vietnam !

Auction states that ALL items are shipped fully insured for the full auction price. I put this in big letters, usually red.

The only way to get full insurance through Canada Post ( the cheapest of all ...UPS, fedX, DHL, etc... ) is to go with priority international, since the item is over $100, and the box must be greater than 12" on one side and 10" on another......this is a goofy Canada Post rule that I don't understand, but, it's their show. 

I email the customer explaining the expense and why. I quoted all shipping companies and then gave him several choices all inexpensive, but only insured to $100 ( CPC policy ), as well as the fully insured expensive choice ( $196 !!!!!!!!!!!!! ).....and say  "you pick one" , and whatever the customer wants, that's how I'll ship it. 

Time goes by ( almost a week ), no response....I email a 2nd time asking him to please pick one.....no response. So finally I just send an invoice with the top shipping option.......now he responds that he's never been charged that much before. He is being charged Canada Post rates by the book, no funny business. 

I answer all emils with regards to shipping anywhere in the world, have shipped all over the world, but never Vietnam. 

Is the customer bound to abide by the auction rules, that I clearly stated in the auction ( auction number   111000700767       completed ).  ?

thanks to all in advance, Rob

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Seller doesnt like the shipping costs.

Personally first thing ide do, tighten down international options, go into seller preferences, block all countries deemed high risk, add international shipping rates for current active items(weight and measure items, add international flat rates).

Sounds like the buyer is unhappy with the surprise shipping rates, cant force anything, a week on, should be looking for a way out...... 2 options  1) file unpaid, go quiet , wait , if he pays... ship using option chosen, if he doesnt  close the case(relist), i believe its 4 days after sale, case open protects your feedback, close the case as soon as its available another 4 days i believe. Option 2)  Send apologetic email," i understand, confusion over shipping cost ect..." asking if he would like to cancel the sale, if yes send mutual cancellation request. Always risk, if he changes his mind after you send the MC, refuses cancel your stuck vulnerable to feedback and have to pay auction fees. My guess though is hes looking for a way out too.

Sell worldwide, protect yourself 1) spend some time looking at your  my ebay "selling/shipping preferences", several filters in there designed to protect you, ie/ decide what countries you want really want to ship too,  block the high risk countries; setting all countries with undefined shipping rates is a recipe for 'unexpected' disasters like this one. 2) Take the time to figure out domestic, usa and overseas shipping rates prior to posting(its worth the 2min to weight measure item).....flat rates is best in my opinion, simple predictable..... example... 1 to 2 kg box...canada $xx , usa $xx, low risk commonwealth countries $xx, every where else $xx. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I agree with pretty much everything valuestore said.

Block the counties you don't want to ship to and plug in a realistic cost of shipping to the rest.

While the customer is bound to abide by the auction rules, no one is going to flog him for backing out.......................

and really:  Would you want to pay $196 for shipping because you failed to ask the right questions ahead of time?  I doubt it.

No that you're stuck with the transaction, would it be less expensive for you to ship by another method and use third party insurance in conjunction with that?

If so, you might try that with this one case and then if you don't like it make sure it never happens again.

You can control these things as a seller........... :).

Good Luck.  

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Over $250,  signature required for seller protection, handful of countries offer signature service via canadapost.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Just a suggestion, ide think about removing "returns not accepted", returns will be forced upon you through dispute, really no way to avoid them..... no returns is an irrelevant option.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

block all countries deemed high risk,

Oddly, I have the most problems with the USA. Slow Customs, very slow airmail, impatient customers. Should I block the USA?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

For Canadian sellers it is over $325 Canadian, price plus shipping

where Paypal requires signature confirmation upon delivery.

A reminder of the day when  it was about $1.30 Canadian dollars  per $1.00 US dollar

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

From the PayPal website:

If you are a Canadian PayPal account holder and your transaction is deemed eligible

For all transactions, keep proof of shipment and delivery that can be tracked online. If your buyer picks the item up in person, or you can't provide traceable proof of delivery, your transaction won't qualify.

For payments over $325 CAD (or local currency equivalent, including shipping and tax), be sure that you have signature confirmation of delivery in addition to proof of shipment (See above). If a buyer files a claim, you must respond to our requests for information as outlined in our communications to you.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

block all countries deemed high risk,

Oddly, I have the most problems with the USA. Slow Customs, very slow airmail, impatient customers. Should I block the USA?

Probably because most of your foreign sales are to the US compared to other countries.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply