Seller fees (auto-paid) reversed by PayPal

Hey there, long time no speak.

Before I spent two hours on hold with PayPal, has anyone else with seller fees due mid-month had any oddities around their auto-payments processed by paypal? 

My ebay seller account says they were paid on the 15th... and then Payment Reversed by PayPal on the 17th. 

So they'e still due but now late.

There's no log of a PayPal transaction on my account for ebay seller fees. Not even an attempt. It's not like the transaction bounced; it just didn't happen and according to PayPal Account Activity no attempt was made. Other transactions are registering fine, both coming and going. It looks to me like a problem specific to this payment which according to PayPal doesn't exist and didn't happen. 

Anyone else? Or is it just me....

I'd hope for some sense of what's happening here before I waste the rest of my life on hold. Or pay seller fees twice this month due to a mistake not made by me.

Insight appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Seller fees (auto-paid) reversed by PayPal

Situation normal here, the mid-month payment to ebay was processed by PayPal in the normal fashion. Just checked my account to verify all was normal.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @momcqueen - I'm not seeing anything widespread at this point, but it definitely sounds like something happened - if you've already embarked on that long phone journey to PayPal I wish you godspeed. 

If you haven't yet let me know and I'll do some digging. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

You're not late. Invoice states that fees are due month-end. Ebay greedily takes them early.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

My invoice is due mid moth as well. I still have not received my monthly invoice statement from ebay as of today.  So there is no way you can be late. MY statement closes on the 15th, then i usually receive a bill to pay, by the 19th or 20th, then i manually pay it.  I have heard on another site of issues where, pre authorized items all failed , due to something paypal, had to reset.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I just went and double checked, mine came out on November 15th as normal, I got the normal message, looks like I'm a "lucky" one.....

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@renata6 wrote:
You're not late. Invoice states that fees are due month-end.

That is only true for Sellers who are invoiced mid-month.

Sellers are split between those who get invoices the middle of the month and those get invoices at the end of the month.  Payment due date is about half a month later.

-..-

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@momcqueen 

I paid my in advance. Once!! Never gonna to do that again!! Got messed up big time on their end. Currently appearing as it should so gonna let it ride! May the invoice be with you and our heartfelt prayers.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Lucky you!  I was charged twice. I the morning paid as usual and on the very same day ebay did autopay by paypal.  There was not enough money,  so they transferred same amount from my bank account. And because this account is for ebay business only, there was not enough again.  I ended up calling ebay , then paypal and left with overdraft bank fee + reversed payment (but after 7 days, which is counted as expedated, usually it may take up to 30 days! and was explained to me).  Seriously?! Their system can't recognised payment which was done on the very same day.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I waited a few days to see what might fall from the tree on its own and then got a polite 'hey deadbeat' email from ebay Global collections reminding me that my account for seller fees was overdue. 

I grumbled and double-checked the account activity on both ebay and PayPal that my fees were, in fact, still unpaid and that another attempt had not yet been made.

Paid them using the 'one-time payment' option which was REALLY difficult because my browser was not offering me the window I needed to open to do so. Fifteen minutes of trying the same thing over and over again and it worked for no particular reason on attempt 48 or so.

The very next morning I got another message from ebay saying the fees were unpaid but this one was from ebay Canada saying the payment had been reversed because of outdated PayPal permissions (?) and I was supposed to go fix that. As it happened, while I was fumbling around the night before trying to get that darn pop-up window I needed to work, I did re-grant permissions. But this message said the payment was still due.

Triple-checked and it wasn't. Probably a case of getting added to the list of deadbeats the night before and prior to payment being sent.

I guess before I declare this issue solved and the problem fixed, we'll see what happens next month.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Oh, and I did try to call PayPal to get them to explain the problem but their 'office' closes now for the evening which seems ludicrous to me. When else do they think their customers have time to call but evenings? PayPal wasn't taking calls when I phoned after putting the kids to bed and I was annoyed by this. While some sellers might be large enough to warrant dedicated staff that can call to resolve selling problems during business hours, buyers using PayPal and experiencing difficulties with something can't hope to take a half-day off work to call into their Call Centres for assistance. Whatever funds PayPal will save by scaling back their Customer Service hours is going to backfire. And the automated Help Menus are just ridiculous, don't get me started about that, stating everything that's painfully obvious but forcing you to listen to it nonetheless. I feel like my IQ loses points out my other ear whenever I am forced to converse with a robot voice coming at me through the telephone.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

The accidental observation I made(In the past) is that when you pay as 1 time or its done automatically it displays differently in PayPal. Not sure if this is still the case. When I asked PayPal for an explanation they were unable to clarify and couldn't really tell me what this mystery payment was for. This was prior to having a store.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

The accidental observation I made(In the past) is that when you pay as 1 time or its done automatically it displays differently in PayPal. Not sure if this is still the case.

A one time payment to eBay is called a "Purchase" by PayPal in the Summary, and "eBay Seller Fee" in the details.

versus the monthly payment where it is

"Automatic Payment" in the PayPal summary,  and "Item amount" in the details.

I generally make one time payments, rather than depend on eBay's automatic withdrawal.

-..-

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@renata6 

No.

It depends on when you signed up.

I get notified of my fees at the end of the month for a couple of my accounts, and then charged at mid-month.

And actually a couple a days apart.

But on another account, I get notified at mid-month and charged at month-end.

Which makes sense. It  would be a bit overwhelming to charge all 25million + sellers at the same time. Having a steady flow of income just works better.

The roughly two week notice reminds me not to empty my account while those charges are pending.  When I have done that for some reason, the fees end up being charged to my credit card.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

The problem with ebay to PayPal communication continues.

Had another one of those my-child-was-shopping-without-my-permission cancellation requests today (which is its own topic entirely) so I dutifully issued the refund as the Cancel Order requested only to find:

There was a problem issuing a refund from your payment account to the buyer.

Please contact your payment provider so they can help resolve the problem quickly.

So, now, if I manually issue a refund via PayPal directly, what assurance do I have that the system won't wake itself in a few hours and refund them a second time?

tyler@ebay I hate to bug you with this but I re-did my permissions between PayPal and ebay as indicated by ebay Canada in the previous message received so are you able to offer any insight as to the problem here? My incoming payments are working fine, thankfully. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Hi @momcqueen - sorry I've missed this, my notifications aren't working today, which is frustrating. :C

If you issue a refund manually through the transaction on PayPal (not as a 'send money', though why on earth would you?) there is not a possibility of double refund. That's because the cancellation flow through eBay works by reversing the PayPal transaction itself.

If, when it goes to do so, the transaction has already been reversed, we'll send you an email saying something to the effect of 'we weren't able to issue a refund, please make sure that's done' and it will be the end of it. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 16
latest reply