Selling Giftcards as a new seller?

So I recently sold my 1st item on ebay. My funds are still pending on Paypal.

I had a question about selling giftcards, regarding held funds. Since I won't physically ship the giftcard (just send the winner the code), how would this work in regards to my funds being held? Since there's no way to prove that the item was successfully 'delivered' like it would be if I were to ship the card itself?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

There is very little protection on digital transactions.

The basic protection for sellers is Proof of Delivery. Digital sellers have none.

The basic protection for buyers is Not Received. Not possible for digital purchases.

Your best bet would be to send the actual card using a Tracked service like Expedited Mail or Tracked Packet USA. Both are available through Paypal,  Shippo, and SnapShip and all require a Small Business Solutions number from Canada Post (free at the PO counter or here: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business.page). Prices start around $12.

We non-US sellers have to wait out the full 21 days, I believe, then the money is released if there has been no Dispute opened.

Giftcards are not something that a newbie should sell on eBay unless they are comfortable with selling high risk items.

I would suggest that you not try selling these until you have at least 10 DSRs, know what DSRs are, and understand why DSRs are irrelevant.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

We non-US sellers have to wait out the full 21 days, I believe, then the money is released if there has been no Dispute opened.

@femmefan1946 

In this situation you are correct that there would be a longer waiting time because there is no tracking, but as I have posted a few times, the rules for Canadians and US sellers in this regard have been the same for years now.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

In passing, if you are selling and shipping from Canada, you might want to reconsider your eBay ID, which may give some potential customers pause.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

"In passing, if you are selling and shipping from Canada, you might want to reconsider your eBay ID, which may give some potential customers pause."

X2 on that.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

X3

Message 6 of 6
latest reply