Selling a high value item without being scammed?

I am a very seasoned seller, been doing it for years, but I mainly sell low value items.  I have been scammed quite a few times thanks to "buyer" protections, mainly "not recieved" claimed, due to the item being sent without tracking, lettermail or 1st Class US (very low value cards).  Even on items they have messaged me saying they recieved!

I have been holding onto a 1st Edition Charizard card ($29,000) that I have decided it is time to sell while the market is hot. 

The last Charizard I sold of this nature (thank goodness it was cheaper).  The customer said it was in horrible shape (it wasn't)  I had tracked shipping on the item, and asked him to return it for a refund, he didn't and I didn't hear back from him.  A week later, I recieve a message from a fellow seller, that this same customer had pulled the same scam with multiple sellers and had gotten refunds through Ebay, and a police report was filed.

I won't lie I am nervous.  I have been running through different scenerios in my head and was wondering if I could get any recommendations to cover myself.

Seller protection covers if you have tracking and signature confirmation, but what if they say the item is not in the box etc.  Credit card chargebacks etc.  I know we have changed over to Ebay for payments, but I am sure they are just as quick as Paypal is to just take the money back.

I am more than willing to travel with the item to deliver it, but does that give me any protections or does that remove them?

I have also seen high value listings require bank transfers  for payment and item isn't shipped till it clears.  But is this safe?

Do any high value item sellers have a scam-proof option?  I cannot avoid to take a loss on this item 😞

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Given your category, I would reconsider selling a card that valuable on eBay.

There are sportscard auction houses that will perform better than eBay, which is in many ways the garage sale of auctioneers.

Look up sales of high value cards, like the Honus Wagner that Wayne Gretzky bought, and get in touch with any auction houses mentioned in news articles.

You may also find it useful to issue a press release to your local news paper and TV news station. They are always crying out for Good News stories and the publicity, especially if it goes viral, will benefit prices.

Wire transfers are not allowed on eBay's North American sites. They are very safe and very expensive but do nothing about the problem of potential disputes.

I am more than willing to travel with the item to deliver it, but does that give me any protections or does that remove them?

When you hand-deliver you do not have the electronic online Proof Of Delivery that eBay and Paypal want to see.

OTOH, the face to face thing means the buyer has to realize you are a real human being and not a faceless corporation.

I'm assuming you have adequate coverage in terms of certification and also are covered by insurance. We use Hugh Wood International, with offices in London, New York and Toronto, which specializes in collectors and collecting. They will insure your stock on the way to shows and also for shoptheft at shows, just so you know they understand our needs as dealers.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

You could consider selling it through an auction house

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I have to agree with the others that some sort of auction house might be the better way to go.

I'm not aware of any scam proof ways to sell on ebay.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thank you, I didn't contact an auction house a while back (Heritage) and they never responded.  I will check into other ones.  I would rather get less money but be covered for scams.

It would be nice if Ebay looked at these issues (such as this post) and realized that they are really screwing over their sellers.  I don't feel confident selling half my items on their platform.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

For something like this, although I've not had one as "large" as this, as with the others I would contact a large category specific auction house(s) - ie ones that specialize in "Carizard" type cards.

An alternative that works for me, I have contacts (remember I'm into my 43 year selling) that have very good client bases that I do not have. Oftentimes when I get a "large" item, I would get more by selling privately through them to their customers than I would here and I know their cheque will always cash so to speak. However one needs to have these contacts, acquiring a new contact for a 29K item is a whole different story.

Risk aversion is an experienced thing. I don't generally feel fear selling items up to $1,000 because I've often safely sold stuff that large. However if I was a seller selling things generally $5 and under I'd really be sweating about a $1,000 sale. For sure I'd be sweating buckets selling a 29K item, even in my (stamp) world!

I hope things work out well for you!

PS if you haven't already, you for certain should have it certified, that will make a monstrous difference in its realization.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Don't sell high value rare items through ebay. YOu'll get trolls bidding driving the price up who'll then not bother to pay. I've seen charity auctions go that way countless times on here. Go to a specific collectible trading card auction house.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Don't do it - you will not be protected and likely would stress you to the point of illness.

Try an auction house - it may sell for less but you will be ahead in the long run.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

1st rule of selling on ebay, is to never, ever sell something, you can't afford to lose..

Either by scammer, or lost/delayed in mail, etc.. which is usually the same thing..

Check out an auction company that specializes in pokemon cards, there are many..

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I disgree that B&M auction houses would get lower prices.

For one thing, their clients actually pay.

More to the point, the auction house has a confirmed reputation for selling good material.

And as mentioned, the customer base can have very deep pockets.

One question.

With a B&M auction, your card may be out of your possession for six months or more, held by the auction house.

Does your insurance cover this? Does the insurance of the auction house cover this?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

fly to buyer, cash only, scan his code, done
Message 11 of 11
latest reply