Selling

canaus63
Community Member
Hi, I'm new to ebay and had the similar problem yesterday. I wanted to include free shipping both here and in the US. Turns out you if you do ebay charges you shipping! This is after they encourage us you include shipping in the price to help increase sales, and encourage us to sell in the US. Here is another. I listed sum Vinyl LP's via the Android App. In Title under the Title box the is a subtitle box option. So I add a subtitle, next day I i get a charge for $2.61 I think it was. So i call ebay they tell me that is a charge for adding the subtitle. I told the guy that it didn't warn me of a charge. He said to me, it above the subtitle box. I said no its not....you know I'm on Android app....he says oh it on the computer version. I said so anyone posting on android gets charged unknowingly while ebay rakes in $$$$$. Then he gives me credit, and tells me I've lost 1 of 3 free credits lol I said you admit is ebays mistake and and i loose a Credit. NUTS
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Selling

@canaus63 wrote:
Hi, I'm new to ebay and had the similar problem yesterday. I wanted to include free shipping both here and in the US. Turns out you if you do ebay charges you shipping! This is after they encourage us you include shipping in the price to help increase sales, and encourage us to sell in the US. Here is another. I listed sum Vinyl LP's via the Android App. In Title under the Title box the is a subtitle box option. So I add a subtitle, next day I i get a charge for $2.61 I think it was. So i call ebay they tell me that is a charge for adding the subtitle. I told the guy that it didn't warn me of a charge. He said to me, it above the subtitle box. I said no its not....you know I'm on Android app....he says oh it on the computer version. I said so anyone posting on android gets charged unknowingly while ebay rakes in $$$$$. Then he gives me credit, and tells me I've lost 1 of 3 free credits lol I said you admit is ebays mistake and and i loose a Credit. NUTS

Of course eBay charges you shipping. Free shipping is free for the buyer, not the seller (the seller usually lists the item at a price that accounts for it). Otherwise everyone would offer it.

I would strongly suggest you read through the help pages and the fee structure so you understand it, because the issues you've listed won't be the only ones you run into if you don't.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Selling

It's always a good idea to check on what costs might be before you do a listing. 

This should help.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822&st=3&pos=1&query=Selling...

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Selling

I wanted to include free shipping both here and in the US. Turns out you if you do ebay charges you shipping!

Free Shipping is an advertising slogan. It means the seller's cost for shipping is included in the price.

Which is cheaper : A $10 item with $5 shipping or a $15 item with Free Shipping?

Buyers loooooove Free Shipping.
But they are still paying you to ship when you do it right.

under the Title box the is a subtitle box option. So I add a subtitle, next day I i get a charge for $2.61.....

The same box not only has (Optional) over it but also how much you will be charged for using the option and an icon that is meant to give more information.

I said no its not....you know I'm on Android app....he says oh it on the computer version.

It's a Bad Idea to list on a phone.

You have a better idea of what you can do and what you have done on a laptop or desktop computer.

devon@ebay 

This is something that should be looked at by the appropriate team though.

Selling online is not easy, it is a real job if you actually want to make money.

And there is a learning curve.

So far your curve has cost you $2.61 which was refunded and one of the three listings you had available this month (?).

This is actually a good demonstration of why eBay restricts new and returning sellers by the number and value of listings they can make.

If you had listed 100 items with subtitles, your mistake would have cost you over $200, and I doubt eBay would have refunded.

EBay is not our friend. EBay is our landlord.

BTW as a new seller, have you set up your Managed Payments account ?  You need to list a chequing account with a Canadian bank, and give some other identification. I used my passport, DH his driving license.

Without that, eBay is unable to transfer your customer's payments to your account.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Selling

Read the help pages or you are in for a world of trouble.

Or, shameless plug, go to udemy and look for selling on eBay for Canadians and invest a little to save a lot 🙂
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Selling

Before you SELL on any platform, guess WHAT?

READ THE RULES AND POLICIES?!

What do you expect to happen if you read nothing, you will be charged or worse?

People read nothing and then wince about being charged, READ, READ, READ!

4 min article

All about selling

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling/selling?id=4081&st=3&pos=2&query=All%20about%20selling&inte...

20 min article

Selling fees

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

The amount we charge depends on the item's price, the format and category you choose for your listing, any optional listing upgrades you add, and your seller conduct and performance.

Final value fees

We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees. If you offer 1-day or international shipping as well as a cheaper or free option (like domestic shipping), the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the cheapest domestic option you offer. If you only offer 1-day or international shipping but no cheaper option like domestic shipping, the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the service the buyer chooses.

READ THE POLICIES BEFORE YOU SELL !

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Selling

Unbelievable how Ebay treats the seller. I still can not get over how shipping fees have a cut sent to Ebay.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Selling

Yes and no.

We can buy some services at a discount through eBay, including Tracked Packet USA.

But since 2008, eBay has charged the same fee on purchase price as on the shipping price, because some sellers were listing at $1 + $99 shipping (or equivalent).

But.

We used to be charged on the lowest rate. So if we had a $5 domestic rate and a $10 US rate, we were charged on the $5 rate.

I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Selling

@markhockey1992 wrote:

Unbelievable how Ebay treats the seller. I still can not get over how shipping fees have a cut sent to Ebay.

Do you mean the fact that eBay charges Final Value Fees on the entire transaction value, including shipping (and taxes)?

Blame unscrupulous sellers back in eBay's Stone and Bronze ages when eBay didn't charge Final Value Fees on shipping.  Sellers would sell or auction off items for durt cheep only to turn around and charge astronomical shipping fees to make up for that low selling price, paying lower FVFs in the process.

Also consider that charging FVF just on the item price places sellers who offer "free" shipping at a disadvantage as their shipping charges are built into the item price.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Selling

@reallynicestamps wrote:

We used to be charged on the lowest rate. So if we had a $5 domestic rate and a $10 US rate, we were charged on the $5 rate.

I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Yes this is still the case ONLY if you don't issue an invoice. If you issue an invoice then the amount that you entered in the shipping box is used for the fees calculation.

If someone just buys your item and no invoice is sent then you get charged fees based on the domestic shipping.

I avoid issuing invoices, and message buyers " if you see x for shippign then you can just pay" to avoid having to pay a larger amount in fees!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Selling

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I wanted to include free shipping both here and in the US. Turns out you if you do ebay charges you shipping!

Free Shipping is an advertising slogan. It means the seller's cost for shipping is included in the price.

Which is cheaper : A $10 item with $5 shipping or a $15 item with Free Shipping?

Buyers loooooove Free Shipping.
But they are still paying you to ship when you do it right.

under the Title box the is a subtitle box option. So I add a subtitle, next day I i get a charge for $2.61.....

The same box not only has (Optional) over it but also how much you will be charged for using the option and an icon that is meant to give more information.

I said no its not....you know I'm on Android app....he says oh it on the computer version.

It's a Bad Idea to list on a phone.

You have a better idea of what you can do and what you have done on a laptop or desktop computer.

devon@ebay 

This is something that should be looked at by the appropriate team though.

Selling online is not easy, it is a real job if you actually want to make money.

And there is a learning curve.

So far your curve has cost you $2.61 which was refunded and one of the three listings you had available this month (?).

This is actually a good demonstration of why eBay restricts new and returning sellers by the number and value of listings they can make.

If you had listed 100 items with subtitles, your mistake would have cost you over $200, and I doubt eBay would have refunded.

EBay is not our friend. EBay is our landlord.

BTW as a new seller, have you set up your Managed Payments account ?  You need to list a chequing account with a Canadian bank, and give some other identification. I used my passport, DH his driving license.

Without that, eBay is unable to transfer your customer's payments to your account.

Hi @reallynicestamps! Thank you for tagging me in on this. I will be sure to have this thread shared with the correct team and if they are needing more information or examples I will be sure to let you know. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply