Share Your Shipping Labels User Stories

Hello Sellers,

As you already know, Shipping is a topic that we're talking a lot about these days at eBay Canada. We've recently hosted a couple of discussions with some Canadian sellers at our eBay offices. I'd like to also draw on anyone who would be willing to share their story with regards to online shipping labels, whether you use the PayPal labels platform, another, or none.

I'd like to know the following:

• How would you describe your experience using online labels?
  • What works well for you?
  • What are some of your pain or friction points?
  • Are there any features you would like to see, or any that you would rather not see?
  • Anything else you would like to share.

Many thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 141
latest reply
140 REPLIES 140

it would be awesome if we could print multiple orders through paypal shipping at the same time and not one at the time.

Message 101 of 141
latest reply

To increase my margins and save money I got myself a commercial account with Canada Post. A friend of mine and I then bought about $1,700 of Canadian Postage through an estate auction for about $1,200! We split the costs.

1) I use postage stamps on my parcels using my lower corporate rate! NO GST, FUEL Surcharge or Admin Fees

2) Local Post office places priority sticker on parcel for tracked delivery 

3) Parcels are wallpapered with stamps and many buyers love receiving old stamps on their parcels  

So for every dollar of stamps on the parcel my cost is about 75 cents and no GST/HST/Admin fee/Fuel surcharge

Most people don't realize that Canada Post charges the GST/HST based on where the parcel is going! So here in Alberta we have no HST so its 5% GST. If you pay for a parcel on-line or at the post office for a parcel to Ontario its 13%! If you buy the stamps and place them on the parcel its 5%!  If you have old stamps like me, its NO TAX! 

Like Canadian currency since 1935 - Canadian postal stamps are good for ever 

Got to find ways to save money as Canada Post is so expensive and slow! 

Message 102 of 141
latest reply

Hello,

1. Since March of this year, whenever I print a shipping label from PayPal to the U.S. it cuts off the zip code numbers after the hyphen. The first time, I didn't realize and 45 days later the package came back to me with a yellow label. My customer just gave up and cancelled the sale. How can this be rectified?

2. Why are the dimensions of a cube-shaped box "not valid dimensions" on PayPal but valid at the post office? This causes unnecessary trips when that shape is needed for small items.

3. My greatest pet peeve is the wait time for voided label refunds. It is 15 business days or more, and this is unacceptable.

Message 103 of 141
latest reply

1) You can handwrite in the missing numbers.

But USPS pays less attention to them than they used to.

Were there other problems with the address?

It can be fun to run the address through Google Maps Earthview to see where your customer is. And sometimes it is even useful.

2) Lie about the measurement.

The dimensions allowed for a given parcel rate are noted on the Canada Post website. Increase or decrease the actual dimensions by a centimetre to make the PP label work.

Is there really a difference between a parcel 17cmx17cmx16cm and one 17x17 17?

3) You are not alone on that one.

Also I suspect this is a dead thread, which has yet to be buried.

Message 104 of 141
latest reply

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I do hand-write the second half of the zip code, but I shouldn't have to remember to do that ~ it should be in the system. There was no other problem with the address.

I do slightly fudge the measurements ~ again, shouldn't have to do that.

Waiting for far too long for a voided label refund shouldn't be dead topic, it should be changed.

Also, I may not have to worry about lots of labels as my sales dropped dead when we were forced to switch to Canadian dollars...

Thank you.

Message 105 of 141
latest reply

@winddancersfancy wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I do hand-write the second half of the zip code, but I shouldn't have to remember to do that ~ it should be in the system. There was no other problem with the address.

I do slightly fudge the measurements ~ again, shouldn't have to do that.

Waiting for far too long for a voided label refund shouldn't be dead topic, it should be changed.

Also, I may not have to worry about lots of labels as my sales dropped dead when we were forced to switch to Canadian dollars...

Thank you.

Regarding dimensions, PayPal is correct and follows the Canada Post published rules for shipping services.

Each Canada Post service has published minimum and maximum dimensions and weight. PayPal uses these specifications to program their shipping label program. Being a third party commercial business PayPal HAS to follow the rules or their shipping programs may not be approved or certified by Canada Post.

When you go to a Canada Post post office or retail location in a 7-11 or Shoppers Drug Mart to mail your package, the employees do not care or do not know the rules or are poorly trained or whatever reason and let the package go through. Except for Lettermail and Light Packet 2 cm thickness limit and the thickness template they use to check a thin package.

Even the Canada Post web site Find a Rate page does poor checking on the dimension rules and will give you a rate when it should not. If the Canada Post post office and franchises use the same program, then the workers at the counter do not get a message saying the the package is too small for the dimensions for the service.

The above is my understanding of the issue and has not been verified by a Canada Post or eBay or PayPal employee.

Message 106 of 141
latest reply

Those last few numbers aren't required by USPS so it doesn't matter if you add them or not.  I don't remember PayPal shipping ever printing out those last 4 numbers and I've never added them on myself.  I haven't had any parcels returned.

As poco mentioned the dimensions are correct in PayPal shipping.  However, there is a problem with tracked packet in some cases.  If you specify another service on the shipping form and then change it to TP, it will give you some sort of error message. You have to use the TP option on the first try in order for it to work.

Message 107 of 141
latest reply

Oh, and for the record, that problem with the Item Description in the Customs section on International-bound parcels is now resolved. The information entered on multi-item declarations is what prints again. 

Message 108 of 141
latest reply

@winddancersfancy wrote:

For parcels USPS does not require the second number (they still use it for lettermail).

If you buy labels directly from Canada Post just the first 5 of the ZIP are printed.

-..-

@winddancersfancy wrote:

Since I did not do any switching of US$ / CA$ (I list in both). I place blame for my drop in sales over the last couple of weeks entirely at the feet of Canada Post and CUPW and their atmosphere of delivery uncertainty.

-..-

Message 109 of 141
latest reply

Hi Raphael,

PayPal cuts off the U.S. zip codes just before the hyphen.

For example, the zip code should be 75703-5266; only 75703 is printed.

I have had the same printer and computer for years and it worked fine before. This is so annoying and has been going on for a few months. I missed adding the second half of a zip code by hand and the package floated around the postal system before being returned 40 days later. Fortunately, I had an understanding buyer who just cancelled and didn't start a  case.

Can this not be fixed?

Message 110 of 141
latest reply

It is not nevessary to have those last 4 numbers on the label. I have never added them and have never had a problem so its unlikely that the problem with your package had anything to do with the zip code. Here is some info about it...

ZIP+4 Edit
In 1983, the U.S. Postal Service introduced an expanded ZIP code system that it called ZIP+4, often called "plus-four codes", "add-on codes", or "add ons". A ZIP+4 code uses the basic five-digit code plus four additional digits to identify a geographic segment within the five-digit delivery area, such as a city block, a group of apartments, an individual high-volume receiver of mail or any other unit that could use an extra identifier to aid in efficient mail sorting and delivery. But initial attempts to promote universal use of the new format met with public resistance,[citation needed] and today the plus-four code is not required. In general, mail is read by a multiline optical character reader (MLOCR) that almost instantly determines the correct ZIP+4 code from the address—along with the even more specific delivery point—and sprays an Intelligent Mail barcode (IM) on the face of the mail piece that corresponds to 11 digits—nine for the ZIP+4 code and two for the delivery point.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_code

Message 111 of 141
latest reply

Pj is right. I work at the post office - when purchasing shipping to the US/printing a label, it won't even let us enter more than 5 digits for a ZIP code.

There must have been some other reason why your parcel was not delivered.
Message 112 of 141
latest reply

@winddancersfancy wrote:

PayPal cuts off the U.S. zip codes just before the hyphen.

For example, the zip code should be 75703-5266; only 75703 is printed.

I have had the same printer and computer for years and it worked fine before. This is so annoying and has been going on for a few months. I missed adding the second half of a zip code by hand and the package floated around the postal system before being returned 40 days later. Fortunately, I had an understanding buyer who just cancelled and didn't start a  case.

Can this not be fixed?

Only the first 5 are required for a parcel going to the USA. The last 4 are not required.

There is nothing that needs fixing.

The fact that it came back would be for a different reason.

-..-

Message 113 of 141
latest reply

If you ship more than 10 items per week to USA, check out Stallion Express. I started shipping with them since the beginning of this year and they are 50% cheaper than Canada post or ups or fedex for anything you want shipped to USA.

Message 114 of 141
latest reply

Here is my Shipping Label experience. // Need Advice!

Just received an order on eBay Canada from a buyer yesterday. Successfully received the payment in my paypal account. However, I accidentally created 2 shipping labels and eventually had to void both of them. What happened is that first I created the LABEL 1 (just giving a name to the label so that you all can easily identify it). As this is my first time creating a shipping label through PayPal, while creating the first label (LABEL 1), I accidentally choose "Regular Parcel (3 - 9 business days)" and in a hurry clicked submit. The shipping label cost got immediately deducted from my PayPal account, and before I could do something else, I came to know that the purchased has already been done. However when I checked the details of this transaction, I could see that I forgot to check "Delivery Confirmation" on it (which is a free service).

I then again tried to create another Label (LABEL 2). Now I don't remember whether I created this LABEL before voiding my LABEL 1 or after? Anyways, Here I choose the "Xpresspost (1 - 3 business days)" and ONCE AGAIN I forgot to checkmark "Delivery Confirmation", which I later found out in the transaction details.

So now I was charged for BOTH the Labels. However, I immediately VOIDED both the Labels (LABEL 1&2) and now when I check the PayPal status, under the Shipping Information it shows as 

Shipping Status: 
Refund Pending

Now whenever I once again try to create any Label, I am UNABLE to do so becuase there is no option that exsist in eBay "Items Sold" section of creating a Label anymore. In the ITEMS SOLD under the ACTIONS section, it only says "Leave Feedback" and some other options in dropdown. And it shows the tracking number from the FIRST " LABEL 1" which I created accidently under the product listing. I am UNABLE to delete that tracking number. However, I can add another tracking number (coz there is an option to Add one).

Now my questions are:

1) As I have already Voided the LABEL 1, should I go ahead and ship the iteam by attaching the LABEL 1 (as the eBay listing shows the LABEL 1 tracking number still active)?

2) Can I ship the parcel by walking in Canada Post outlet and through Expedited Shipping (which I figure out is even cheaper than the above two). In this case I would be issued a fresh tracking number at the counter. Would I be able to add this newly issued fresh tracking number to my order?

In case if I go with option two, then I have to wait for the refund of above two LABELS (1 & 2) which usually take anywhere between 3-4 weeks (and one has to follow up with PayPal also).

Would be great to have anyone's input on this.

Thanks.

Message 115 of 141
latest reply

I sympathize with your plight. My first order, I packed and measured, weighed and bought postage for my second buyer. Luckily, I caught it prior to mailing and voided the label.

Here's what I can say:

1. Slow down! Never buy postage until you have doublechecked all your work from packing to measuring and completing the form. Don't pay for your label until you know for certain it's alright. It's a lot harder to void two labels than to check and confirm your work as you go.

2. NEVER USE A VOIDED LABEL! This will get you and/or your buyer into a heap of trouble. While it will take some time for you to receive your money back from the void, that is designed to prevent exactly this from happening. Don't use a voided label. Ever.

3. Always use your PayPal shipping discount to buy CANADA POST EXPEDITED PARCEL for domestic orders. It comes with insurance. And costs less than Regular Parcel due to the PayPal discount for eBay sellers. And it's faster.

4. DELIVERY CONFIRMATION is ALREADY a part of every service that's trackable. SIGNATURE CONFIRMED is an add-on service availabile with XPRESSPOST which you only need if the value of the order exceeds $850 CAD including postage paid to you.

5. Print your shipping label by logging into PayPal and finding the transaction there. Make certain the correct tracking number is applied manually to the eBay transaction and given to your buyer.

6. Contact your buyer with the correct, final tracking number for their order via eBay Messages. They are going to be plenty confused since they will have received an email from PayPal each time you printed and voided those other labels. Give them a Cole's Notes version which doesn't make you look silly but is still honest like, 'I was overly cautious in ensuring I used the most suitable service available for your order, and I apologize for the multiple messages you received. Please know your (item) shipped on (date) via (service used) which has a delivery estimate of (number) of days. Thank you for choosing (your name). We hope to serve you again.

Best of luck to you. Come back if you need more advice.
Message 116 of 141
latest reply

Thanks so much for your valuable advice!

as for your point " 3. Always use your PayPal shipping discount to buy CANADA POST EXPEDITED PARCEL for domestic orders. It comes with insurance. And costs less than Regular Parcel due to the PayPal discount for eBay sellers. And it's faster. "

Now once I have voided the previous two labels, I see NO OPTION of purchasing a new Label through eBay/PayPal. So how can I purchase a fresh Label again? There is NO Generate Label option in eBay or PayPal, under the "SOLD" products section in eBay it's just showing the old tracking number from my previously void LABEL 1

How can I again buy a fresh Label?

Thanks.

Message 117 of 141
latest reply

A new seller here.  After some questions on the seller board; about shipping costs.  I was advised by several other sellers to use the Paypal/Canada Post  shipping labels, it would save me even more on shipping costs.  I tried, today---and the whole thing seemed fine--UNTIL  I HIT THE PRINT LABEL BUTTON!!!!    Nothing- so, not being tech savvy-I tried again- all I got was 2 charges on the paypal acct--and NO labels printed.  I had to phone paypal and am now waiting 30 days to see if it got cleared from my acct.

Back to taking my parcel to the Post Office!

Message 118 of 141
latest reply

What browser and Operating System do you use?

Also, make certain you allow Pop-ups  or you will never see that screen that allows you to print the label. What was the last page you saw and was there an error message to go with it? 

The Canada Post Electronic Shipping Tool (EST) is only Windows compatible, not Mac.

If you used paypal, what happened after you went to the label transaction and selected 'reprint label'?

Message 119 of 141
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think PayPal Shipping will come to an end.  I talked to a Canada Post representative about PayPal Shipping, etc., she said that by using PayPal Shipping, Canada Post get a percentage, so I am SO SURE that Canada Post wouldn't want to let go of PayPal because of $$$$.

Message 120 of 141
latest reply