Share Your Shipping Labels User Stories

Hello Sellers,

As you already know, Shipping is a topic that we're talking a lot about these days at eBay Canada. We've recently hosted a couple of discussions with some Canadian sellers at our eBay offices. I'd like to also draw on anyone who would be willing to share their story with regards to online shipping labels, whether you use the PayPal labels platform, another, or none.

I'd like to know the following:

• How would you describe your experience using online labels?
  • What works well for you?
  • What are some of your pain or friction points?
  • Are there any features you would like to see, or any that you would rather not see?
  • Anything else you would like to share.

Many thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 141
latest reply
140 REPLIES 140

Share Your Shipping Labels User Stories

I'm replying to the edited quoted points below:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

1. After you reach a certain level there won't be a hold on your payments.  The hold was started long after I started selling so I have no idea what is 'normal'. http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/build-your-business-online/deliver-great-service/fundsavailab...

4.  The buyer could have changed his address after you contacted him but you would not see the change.  It is impossible for him to change the actual payment address once payment has been made.  The only way for him to change it would have been for you to refund and have him make payment again. But unless you were using delivery confirmation you are not covered by seller protections for inr's so it wouldn't matter if you corrected the address.

11.  It has never occurred to me to send that receipt or a picture of the package to the buyer and to be honest, that seems like overkill to me. It won't help in an inr case, is a lot of extra work and  could make it sound as if the buyer shouldn't trust you and/ or the mail service.  Plus I don't think that it is a good idea to mention that there is no tracking unless asked by the buyer.   That receipt does come in handy if you have purchased third party insurance on a package as if the buyer does an unauthorized credit card chargeback as both require just proof of shipping.

12.  Sorry but that is not realistic.  I live in a small city and there are at least 7 post offices or outlets where I could drop off my packages plus dozens of postal boxes.  I don't expect or even want eBay to list all of those and what the pick up time is at each one.  I wouldn't even trust the info as those times do change every once in a while and eBay isn't always accurate.  

1. Thanks for the link. That page says: "For any order with a total cost that exceeds $50, up to 30% of the funds from you buyer will be available immediately to cover shipping costs. If you use PayPal for UPS or Canada Post, you'll need to pay for shipping when you print the label but the reimbursement will be deposited back to your PayPal account within 24 hours." --- seems to me the first is a contradiction of the 2nd; a percentage is available immediately OR it is not, and an amount equal to the "I funded it" paid shipping cost is deposited back within 24 hours. But the point is taken, they'll make sure you're not out of pocket for shipping costs for very long. And that's a good thing.

4. What you said makes sense. But as originally stated, I asked the PayPal or eBay c/s rep I was talking a week or 2 after the fact to  check and they confirmed he had not updated it. My point was that even though I had taken steps to look after myself, it was on THEM to take responsibility to ensure that future sellers are not put at risk. And they didn't seem interested.

11. A couple of comments in reply: 1) "overkill"? When CP's international tracking services cost C$75 (over 2x the price of regular Small Packet Intl. Air), I'm unlikely to sell anything if I insist on its use. (US sellers can get FREE tracking when purchase their postage online, so can send internationally with tracking for US$22 vs our C$75 = 56USD). So no tracking means the buyer has no proof I've sent the parcel. When it doesn't show up after the "6-10 business days" delivery standard, they likely going to get worried that I've not sent anything. As a buyer, would YOU not want some kind of proof? The fact that a shipping label was paid for is no proof of shipment! (can be voided, or taken as a $20 cost of scamming hundreds off someone). 2) You wrote: "Plus I don't think that it is a good idea to mention that there is no tracking unless asked by the buyer." -- well remind me to NEVER buy anything from you, or anyone else who thinks like that! First of all the buyer pays shipping so they have a right to know what they paid for, and taking that further, potential buyers have a right to know what their pre-purchase shipping options are, so they can make an informed decision whether to buy from me or not. Wouldn't you be annoyed as a foreign buyer if a listing just said "$75 to Europe" or "flat $50 shipping worldwide" and you paid it assuming a tracking # would be supplied and then found out after purchase that it wasn't? (I say "assume" as US sellers almost all provide international tracking thanks to its FREE inclusion with USPS online shipping label purchases and/or GSP). I fully understand that an unscrupulous buyer who has knowledge there is NO TRACKING AVAILABLE could use that knowledge to his advantage (to scam a refund even though he did actually receive the item)... which is precisely why I take pre-emptive steps to protect myself! I state my process in my listings so potential buyers know advance that I will provide, via eBay Message, proof of mailing - and I figure that means a scammer will be less likely to try his luck scamming me/the system using my listing. What I DON'T do is announce at any time that I might take 3rd party insurance on the shipment - because that might help a scammer pick me as his mark (as I will be less "hurt" by his actions). Do you see the difference?

Message 141 of 141
latest reply