Shipping Electronic Device to South Korea

Sold a $250 electronic device to buyer in South Korea with 2 FB.

I had set shipping to $250 thinking that no one would buy from these countries............ or is South Korea even high risk?

I'm debating about sending a revised invoice for about $100 which would be priority shipping so signed for and all the bells and whistles.

Or........ I could just file a non-paying bidders case when the time comes.

Any insights from those in the know?

What if he decides to return it?  Would I have to pay return shipping? 

Normally I don't worry about shipping to high risk countries but a high risk item is another story.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

In my world, all widgets are equal. There is no such thing as "high risk". All widgets whether $8.99 or $299.00 are the same to me.

There is a basic rule of selling online: if you can't afford to lose it, do not list it.

I would send the revised invoice, hope to get paid, mail it, and be done with it.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Nothing to do with price.

Everything to do with category.

Nothing to do with not being able to afford to lose it.

Everything to do with common sense.

But I do lean towards that option as well.

He probably won't pay $100 shipping either.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I ship a lot of stuff, and a significant amount (to me) is to "dangerous" countries, including this one. I use self insurance, CP insurance and 3rd party insurance. I personally see situations like this as a matter of balancing risk. In my categories, I balance the item risk, the country risk, the buyer risk against the means I use to insure/ship the item. Sometimes to ease my mind I will send it a more expensive way than I have to, simply to reduce the worry factor/risk. Mathematically I shouldn't but it is what I choose to do based on my personal evaluation of that situation. I haven't spent a ton of time looking at your situation but from what I read here, I would probably exercise more care than usual on the item.....I also agree they probably won't pay even the $100 anyway but one never knows, I've had folks pay more for trackable/registered shipping than the item cost before and they were happy!!!
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thank You.

I think I'll send a revised invoice and see what happens and then file a non paying bidders case if he doesn't pay.

That helps.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Ooops.  Forgot.

One other question.

In this situation if the buyer decided to return the item would I be required to pay return shipping?

How does that work?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Hi Hold! Yes that is a good question. I am not 100% sure how the returns thing will work for us here in Canada selling on .COM Hopefully someone in the know will answer that part, I too am interested to know the answer to that...
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

It depends which site the buyer was on when they purchased the item. If they were shopping on .com then yes, you would have to pay return shipping if the item was not as described. If they bought it while shopping on another site that doesn't have that requirement yet (such as .ca) then no, you wouldn't have to pay for return shipping.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

If that's true, then how long will it be before US sellers stop offering International shipping?  

I did send the revised invoice but I kept thinking that his buyer just has to say this item doesn't work and I'm stuck.

No way to prove otherwise with electronics.

OR...... is this a way to push all US sellers over to the GSP?  Wonder how that would work?

Make one change and everything shifts.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

As expected, he doesn't want the item and sent me that message.

In the past I would have sent a cancellation request, but now I'm thinking I should file a nonpaying bidder's case.

This defect thing is too much work to get on top of so I'm asking here.

Any advice on that?

Also, can non-payers still leave FB?

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

As far as I know if you send a cancellation request with "buyer made a mistake or changed mind" it gets cancelled, you get your fees back and ZERO defects result from that.....
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thank You.

That would be my preference but the new system is so twisted ..............  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

But I keep reading conflicting information about that.

It almost seems like all requests to cancel get defects regardless of reason because only sellers can actually initiate the request.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@holdmygold2 wrote:

But I keep reading conflicting information about that.

It almost seems like all requests to cancel get defects regardless of reason because only sellers can actually initiate the request.

No. I "think" what you are seeing are references to refunds done before the new changes were announced. They sprung that on us. Do a refund, but, select a reason where the buyer is at fault. Should not be a defect.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

As Mr E mentioned, I haven't heard lately about anyone getting a defect when they chose the buyer changed mind reason so I think that people are referring to defects that happened before the announcements. In this case the buyer is initiating the cancellation because they don't want to pay the shipping cost.

If you cancel the buyer can leave a feedback.

If you file an unpaid item claim, the buyer can not leave feedback.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply