Shipping Rate Tables Not Working?

Anyone else have this? I am getting about 10% of sales for listings using a rate table actually working properly. It was kind of broken a while back, I contacted eBay who took a few postal codes and confirmed it should have adjusted rates, and now I get no reply from them.... I keep having items sell and the surcharge doesn't get tacked on so I'm losing money shipping a lot of items.

I've poked it a number of times to try to get it working on this end, still almost never works. 

Just curious if anyone else is having this issue?

(For example, just sold item to a P7x-xxx postal code that should have gotten a $6 surcharge, but it never got charged so I had to ship an item at my cost of $17 + supplies and it billed customer $12.50 instead of $18.50) 

thx.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Shipping Rate Tables Not Working?

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @motomike_canada - I escalated this to the product team and they have a question:

Can we confirm with Motormike_Canada that they revise their listings after making changes to the tax table? Here is the link to the Help Hub article on this topic.

If you'll let me know if the issue persists after that I will get it back to those folks. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @motomike_canada - I escalated this to the product team and they have a question:

Can we confirm with Motormike_Canada that they revise their listings after making changes to the tax table? Here is the link to the Help Hub article on this topic.

If you'll let me know if the issue persists after that I will get it back to those folks. 

Thanks!

I'm not changing the TAX table

it is the SHIPPING RATE Table.............................................................................................

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

tyler@ebay   ??

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the update @motomike_canada - I'll clarify with the right team!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

still happening... 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I had one with almost a $6 difference also! I'm not sure if by using "rate table" it is the same as using "calculated shipping"?  I use calculated shipping most times and recently had the shipping charged to buyer at $20.41 but the cost to me was $26.78. I buy my labels through Shippo and the receipt only shows the total and taxes (doesn't give fuel surcharge amount) so I'm not sure if that was the difference. Most of my items using calculator have been okay, it was just this one random one.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Calculated shipping is not the same as using the rates table.

It's unusual that yours was wrong.  Did you happen to send an invoice to the buyer? If you send an invoice that locks in the shipping rate so if the buyer changes their shipping address before they pay, they will pay the invoiced amount.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I didn't send invoice, they paid almost immediately. It was only the one time and it was a bigger package than I usually send so I'm not sure what happened. Just curious though, what and where is the rates table or is it something we have to set up? 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

It's something you have to set up. There is a link on the business sell your item form just above the shipping services section.  I don't know if there are instructions somewhere but here is the page...

ttps://www.ebay.ca/ship/rt/?client=1&locality=DOMESTIC&shippingDisplay=Create&basePath=https%3A%2F%2Fbulkse...

I'm not sure of all the circumstances that a seller would use a rate table but one example would be if they wanted to show 'free shipping' to most provinces except for the northern ones.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@motomike_canada wrote:

Anyone else have this? I am getting about 10% of sales for listings using a rate table actually working properly. It was kind of broken a while back, I contacted eBay who took a few postal codes and confirmed it should have adjusted rates, and now I get no reply from them.... I keep having items sell and the surcharge doesn't get tacked on so I'm losing money shipping a lot of items.

I've poked it a number of times to try to get it working on this end, still almost never works. 

Just curious if anyone else is having this issue?

(For example, just sold item to a P7x-xxx postal code that should have gotten a $6 surcharge, but it never got charged so I had to ship an item at my cost of $17 + supplies and it billed customer $12.50 instead of $18.50) 

thx.

Here is the original page for eBay rate tables. Circa 2019.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/shipping-returns/shipping-rate-tables.html

There were and have have been numerous reports since it was first implemented. Very un-user friendly. Many tested and ran away....Ran to the hills. Too many variables becauase of the number of postal code zones, actual weight vs dim weight and/or when things go wrong as in your example.  Maybe good it you ship 1 specific type of item but not sooo good if you ship a major variety to here there and everywhere.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Still having an issue randomly. 

This one was good. 

See map attached.

ebyflatrt.png

eBay deemed this as "urban quebec".   so no surcharge. but actual cost was $23 to ship the item here today. lol...    eBay's postal code matrix is either completely out to lunch, or there's something else going on.  Would be simple if they just used Canada Post's matrix, no?  

tyler@ebay  whoever was looking into this before stopped replying (again) and I've never had a penny back or even an explanation of why it keeps happening or what I or eBay can do to stop it from ocurring

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@motomike_canada 

Tyler is gone but devon@ebay has taken his place.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply