Shipping Within Canada--Oi!!

Has anyone noticed how expensive it is to ship within Canada??? To send a regular package out west from Ontario is around $16... Can send the same package to the USA for 11.99.... for example. This has come up more than a few times now. How do other Canadians manage their shipping within Canada. Perhaps, I'm missing something.

Just a general question, not about any particular item.

Thanks

Janet and Paul
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Canada is split in half. The MB ON border is the dividing line. You crossed that line, costs go up.

Parcels are hyper sensitive to size. 1cm off of each dimension can mean dollars.

I use a flat rate model. Sometimes I make a Looney, other times I will lose one. End of the month it is all even.

You will always get clobbered with remote locations Like Nova Scotia.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

There are high cost remote areas ... in all provinces..... I have found them

and then there is Nunavut... where there is an "airmail" component..

With  flat rate shipping  the people at Nunavut win...  while others pay for  that extra cost.... Right now I have a $250 buffer so far in 2015....

Canada Post is what it is... We learn to live with the reality of Canada Post... as do the buyers... 

and that is Canadian buyers, buyers from the US and even sometimes  elsewhere.

Get a Canada Post Ventureone card or use Paypal/eBay shipping options  to get a discount...

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Listen to the Americans. They have the exact same complaints regarding across the country. Many will only ship to the 48. Many do not even know there are more.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I strongly agree that using Paypal shipping labels is well worthwhile.

On parcels you save from 5% to 18%, on international as well as domestic rates.

And the labels don't have the postage cost, so pennyfoolish customers won't know that the postage on the parcel is 3 cents less than you charged them.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

The ones that I did, all had the price on the label.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Expedited in Canada does not have the price on the label.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Regular parcel DOES!!! If I said the sky was blue, you'd say it was freakin' purple!
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:
Regular parcel DOES!!! If I said the sky was blue, you'd say it was freakin' purple!

Don't use Regular Parcel! It's not any cheaper than Expedited.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

What Rec said. You are using the wrong service for the same price.
Photobucket
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Expedited parcels for delivery within Canada is the only PayPal service I know that does not show cost.  Most labels printed from PayPal show postage prices to comply with an international standard.  I think the reason for showing the cost on international packages is that some countries add the shipping cost in when calculating taxes and/or duties payable.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Expedite Parcel and Regular Parcel  look to be the same...

But be careful

Regular parcel comes with no insurance...  and if you want insurance  you have to pay right from $0... that is zero dollars.... Each $100 of insurance costs $2.20..... $175 of insurance costs $4.40  added to the base price

Expedite parcel comes with $100 insurance....included in the price... $175 insurance costs $2.20 added to the price....

So there is a difference!

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

The sky purple in your world, too? You've gone off topic. It doesn't matter what anyone uses. Other than expedited, you still get the price on the label!
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

Expedited parcels for delivery within Canada is the only PayPal service I know that does not show cost.  Most labels printed from PayPal show postage prices to comply with an international standard.  I think the reason for showing the cost on international packages is that some countries add the shipping cost in when calculating taxes and/or duties payable.

There is no such international standard! The thing about adding the shipping cost is correct which is one reason why I would never show the postage amount on an International label.

What would happen in a situation where the shipping charges are included in the item price? Would customs be adding it on again? How would customs know if it was included or not? The only way shipping is added for tax calculations is if the invoice shows it as a separate charged for line item or if no detailed invoice is provided.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Okay, I seem to have started an arguement about postage showing on PP labels.

When I was using them regularly there was no price showing, unless the shipper opted to have it.

Is it possible that it is now possible to opt out of showing it?

I use discount postage*, so if my buyer sees $5.95 in stamps, he still doesn't know how much I paid to ship.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

Just to add to the general fray here, I thought I'd mention that I sent a parcel via Expedited USA last week and the shipping cost was not shown on the label.  

I wasn't too happy at all it when CP started printing the shipping cost on the Light and Small Packet labels.  I used to rely on the "win-some-lose-some" method of flat rate shipping to the US and overseas so that I could offer decent shipping "subsidies" on many items.  Well, now CP has got me on that one.  

What's the purpose of displaying the cost on the label anyhow?  Does anyone really know for sure?  

I do think 'recped' has a point that a foreign Customs agent won't know whether shipping was included in the price paid (or free, for that matter), and therefore the buyer should not be charged on the shipping cost shown on the parcel.  

I worry about this with my U.K. buyers, as they already seem to be so hyper-sensitive to Customs/tax charges.  Sometimes the Small Packet shipping cost shown on the label will be just enough to catapult an otherwise tax-free item into a taxed zone (if I recall, the U.K. and some other Euro countries have a ridiculously low personal import allowance). 

I too would love to know if there's a way to opt out of having the shipping price displayed on the Paypal label.  Anyone know if/how it can be done? 

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

There is no such international standard! The thing about adding the shipping cost is correct which is one reason why I would never show the postage amount on an International label.

What would happen in a situation where the shipping charges are included in the item price? Would customs be adding it on again? How would customs know if it was included or not? The only way shipping is added for tax calculations is if the invoice shows it as a separate charged for line item or if no detailed invoice is provided.

I think I was the one who speculated that showing postage on international shipping was required. I posted this when Tracked Packet and then Small Packet labels by PayPal started showing postage in the past couple of years.

I had done a Google search at the time and found several references to this as well as on the eBay.com USA site.

eBay.com has such a reference in one of their help pages here.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalfaqs.html

Can the shipping cost be hidden on international labels?

No, this option is not available. The shipping cost must be displayed on international shipping labels, because it is required by customs. Items that do not display the shipping cost may be returned by customs.

How true this is I do not know.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Customs Departments everywhere require the shipping cost to be shown on incoming goods - thus - an international standard.  For those asking if the shipping charge can be omitted on PayPal labels, for international shipments  - no - due to Customs standards the shipping cost is always printed on the label.

There is also an international standard called Incoterms, which is a set of of pre-defined commercial terms which have been around since 1936 and are regularly updated.  Here is a link to an easy-to-understand explanation of some of the Incoterms: 

http://www.ups.com/media/en/UPSInternationalShippingHowToGuide.pdf

Most countries use the CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight) method to calculate duty charges. CIF is a pricing term that means the cost of the goods, insurance and freight (shipping charge) are included in the quoted price. The total duty and tax charge is calculated by adding all costs together.

When you complete the obligatory Customs Declaration on each and every shipment outside of Canada, if shipping is included in the Declared Value amount, simply add "CIF" below that amount in black pen.  If shipping is not included, don't add anything - resist the urge to put "FOB" because that term is interpreted differently in different places.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

I'm beginning to believe you all about the usage of Expedited instead of regular. What really bothers me is that I can ship the same item for less to the USA than I can if shipping out west... so what does that say about our government?  And did I hear correctly, are the rates for Canada Post going up yet again????

Janet and Paul
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@thebarterersdog wrote:

I'm beginning to believe you all about the usage of Expedited instead of regular. What really bothers me is that I can ship the same item for less to the USA than I can if shipping out west... so what does that say about our government?  And did I hear correctly, are the rates for Canada Post going up yet again????

Rates already went up Jan 15, 2015 for this year.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply