Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid postal code.

Ok, again an issue with eBay $%?& shipping calculator.

I enter the box dimensions and weight, select shipping service to USA from Canada and save the listing .... without any error message.

But in the listing, if I try to ship to USA, it always says "Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid postal code." It works fine if try shipping to Canada.

I tried different shipping options, and never can get pass that stupid message. I had this issue before and solved it by removing the item and relisting it again.

Any suggestion on  how to solve this ?

The listing is https://www.ebay.ca/itm/184105958342

P.S. YES I double checked that the zip code is ok, it works with other listing of mine 🙂

Thanks

Christian

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid postal code.

Check the measurements you put in and make sure they metric.

I think this message can pop up if your dimensions are below (or above) the max/min allowed for the service. Expedited USA has different max/min sizes than Expedited within Canada.

By the way, you should dump the "regular parcel" for Canada, it's the exact same service as Expedited but a day or two slower and no insurance included. To top it off it will always be slightly more expensive than Expedited because of the business discount Canada Post gives on Expedited.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Check the measurements you put in and make sure they metric.

I think this message can pop up if your dimensions are below (or above) the max/min allowed for the service. Expedited USA has different max/min sizes than Expedited within Canada.

By the way, you should dump the "regular parcel" for Canada, it's the exact same service as Expedited but a day or two slower and no insurance included. To top it off it will always be slightly more expensive than Expedited because of the business discount Canada Post gives on Expedited.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

What dimensions are you entering for your item?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Found the issue.

I had a similar issue before, but last time eBay would not let me select a shipping method, while this time I can select it when I list the item, but it is impossible to get a shipping cost in the shipping section of the item. This time, maybe the behavior is different because I am trying to do it with Xpresspost while last time the issue was with expedited parcel.

The issue seems to be cause by a confusion at Canada Post.

I checked the following for Xpresspost to USA

So the issue from Canada Post, eBay is actually correctly following the sizes in the table.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

The Canada Post Find-a-Rate web page does not check for minimum dimensions.

The eBay listing form does not check when you input the shipping dimensions.

However ebay will check the dimensions for the shipping service when the listing is live and not give a shipping cost of the minimum is not met.

Combine all of the above issues to make a very common issue for sellers using eBay Canada.

A seller has to know the minimum and maximum dimensions and weight for each Canada Post shipping service so as to avoid the issue of no rate showing in a listing.

If one of your item dimensions are actually smaller than a minimum, then a trick is to make one dimension the minimum to make it work in eBay.

Canada Post does not reject the packages under the minimum when mailed either at a post office or during transit as far as I know or experienced. But I am always careful to meet the minimums or very close to them.

The eBay listing form has always had issues checking with validating the dimensions and weight for the shipping services selected. At least from 2009 when I started selling. The issue has been brought up numerous times over the years in these forums but eBay Canada has acknowledged the issue and always refused to fix it usually because of budget reasons.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@richardcm 

If you use Shippo to create your postage it does not acknowledge these issues and will let you process. An error message in eBay before completion of a listing would be most helpful.

-Lotz

tyler@ebay 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Yes, that magical 21x14cm will allow you select any method worlwide and have the shipping costs calculate. It can be frustrating that eBay doesn't give us a warning about this. So even a pair of small earrings for example, which could go in a small envelope, should have the dimensions of 21x14x?cm if you want "all" rates to calculate properly. Use it as default, if the item is smaller, otherwise use actual dimensions. It's the golden rule that make sense because, when you print out an expedited USA or XpressPost USA or Int'l Parcel Air/Surface, that's the size of the actual label if you to get it from the post office. Other options such as tracked packet USA/Int'l or Airmail will calculate with smaller dimensions because their labels are smaller. Non intuitive, took us a long time to figure out!
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@bassox333 wrote:
.... Other options such as tracked packet USA/Int'l or Airmail will calculate with smaller dimensions because their labels are smaller.

Packet does not have a volumetric/dimensional weight adjustment so dimensions are ignored when calculating mailing cost.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Seems to be broken again, I have the same issue and when I use the Shipping calculator within the listing editor it won't bring up shipping options. My dimensions are within the shipping requirements from Canada Post.

Annotation 2020-02-07 110724.jpg

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Just checked ebay's calculator works fine with firefox.

Have you tried using your browser in privacy mode?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Nope, nothing to do with the browser, have tried IE and Edge, doesn't work properly. Perhaps the listing is corrupted upon creation.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Rather than use that page to enter your dimensions etc, have you tried entering the dimensions and service right on the listing page?

off topic...Did you want your ballast to have  shipping to Canada only?  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

For now yes. The shipping calculator does not work if I create a shipping calculation to the US. If I create shipping for the US and view the listing with a  US zip code it just returns that shipping cannot be calculated.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Annotation 2020-02-08 112103.jpg

If I edit the listing and add Canada Post expedited shipping to the US 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I did a test listing use the exact dimensions and weight that you showed and the calculator worked.   It looks like you might do it slightly different than I do which is why I asked  the first question in my last post.  In your screenshot you showed the screen that you get when you click on calculate shipping above the services box within the listing form.  Assuming that is where you entered your info I tried that first and noticed that it is not giving me a list of services to the US to choose from as it does for the domestic screen.  I never use that  screen so I am just guessing as to how the US one normally looks.

When the calculator worked for me I did not go to that screen at all.  I did specify on the listing form that I was using calculated shipping for both Canada and the US, chose the service I wanted to use and then entered weight and dimensions near the bottom of that same screen.  After listing I checked to see if it showed a price for. expedited to the US and it shows a shipping cost so it did work.  If you haven’t tried doing it that way already, you might want to do try it.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply