Shipping cost for padded envelope - eBay shipping calculator consider it as a package

Hi,

I am new with eBay. Trying to sell a CD that will be shipped with padded envelope.

I put the CD in a 18.4cm x 18.4cm x 1 cm padded envelope for total weight of 101g and went to Canada Post to have shipping estimates from Montreal to Toronto. As per Canada Post, cheapest is 3.60$. I also double checked on Canada Post site, and it is also 3.60$.

When I use eBay shipping Calculator, I see that a padded envelope over 9 cm x 9 cm is calculated a  parcel, putting the shipping cost at 12.80$.  As per Canada Post, I can have up to Max Length 38cm x Max Width 27 cm x Max Thickness 2 cm and still be in envelope rate instead of parcel (https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/farLetter?execution=e1s5).

Anyone know how it can be fixed to have a the real shipping cost ?

Thanks

Christian

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shipping cost for padded envelope - eBay shipping calculator consider it as a package

The eBay calculator is for parcels or packet (services that you can buy shipping labels online).

It is not used for lettermail. Use flat rate for stuff sent as oversize lettermail.

2019 stamp rates  (taxes excluded):

Canada

to  30g - 0.90

to 50g - 1.27

to 100g - 1.90

to 200g - 3.12

to 300g - 4.34

to 400g - 4.98

to 500g - 5.35

USA

to 30g - 1.27

to 50g - 1.90

to 100g - 3.12

to 200g - 5.45

Small Packet is a better choice over 200g than oversize lettermail.

International

to 30g - 2.65

to 50g - 3.80

to 100g - 6.25

Small Packet is a better choice over 100g than oversize lettermail.

If you look carefully you can find mint with gum postage stamps on eBay for 10 to 30% discount off stamp face value on eBay for even bigger savings.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

There is not actually an "envelope rate". If you mean letter mail, only documents can be sent at that rate, CD's come under parcel rate. I don't think it's to do with the fact that it's in a padded mailer. I use those for sewing documents, and they go letter mail rate.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

and went to Canada Post to have shipping estimates

Do you mean you went to the PO counter?

Don't do that.

If your envelope and CD are less than  2cm, put the appropriate number of postage stamps on, and drop them in to nearest postbox.

Keep in mind that Letter rates cannot be tracked.

So no worries with a $5-10 CD, which probably cost you less than a dollar, but if you sell a $50 CD you would want to use tracking which would be the more expensive parcel rate.

Do you have a Small Business Solutions card number? With that you can access Expedited parcel rates, which are not much cheaper than Regular domestic parcel but which include insurance and tracking internationally.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

The eBay calculator is for parcels or packet (services that you can buy shipping labels online).

It is not used for lettermail. Use flat rate for stuff sent as oversize lettermail.

2019 stamp rates  (taxes excluded):

Canada

to  30g - 0.90

to 50g - 1.27

to 100g - 1.90

to 200g - 3.12

to 300g - 4.34

to 400g - 4.98

to 500g - 5.35

USA

to 30g - 1.27

to 50g - 1.90

to 100g - 3.12

to 200g - 5.45

Small Packet is a better choice over 200g than oversize lettermail.

International

to 30g - 2.65

to 50g - 3.80

to 100g - 6.25

Small Packet is a better choice over 100g than oversize lettermail.

If you look carefully you can find mint with gum postage stamps on eBay for 10 to 30% discount off stamp face value on eBay for even bigger savings.

-..-

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Gosh! Really?

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Do I understand that lettermail is no longer just for documents? I know I read on this board a few years ago that you couldn't even mail something lettermail if there was something like a handkerchief in a greeting card.

I often mail embroidery kits that are thin enough to mail lettermail, but because they contain some yarn and fabric I always mail them small package rate. I would really like to be able to mail them lettermail and cut the shipping cost down.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I often mail embroidery kits that are thin enough to mail lettermail, but because they contain some yarn and fabric I always mail them small package rate. I would really like to be able to mail them lettermail and cut the shipping cost down.

Inside Canada, lettermail is still good for sending items like that.  Canada Post has still not got around to providing a small packet equivalent for domestic use.

Outside the country the relatively new postal rule is that merchandise is to be sent as packet/parcel rather than letterpost.  In practice, for low value, low weight stuff, I work under the looks like lettermail, feels like lettermail, is lettermail policy. 

Find your comfort zone.

-..-

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Inside Canada, lettermail is still good for sending items like that.  Canada Post has still not got around to providing a small packet equivalent for domestic use.

Outside the country the relatively new postal rule is that merchandise is to be sent as packet/parcel rather than letterpost.  In practice, for low value, low weight stuff, I work under the looks like lettermail, feels like lettermail, is lettermail policy. 

Thanks, yes, I would always send them lettermail within Canada, but about 80% of my sales are to the US. I wonder if it is just Canada Post rules, or customs rules about lettermail being documents only. Who knows what it inside the package?

-..-

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Canada Post has had that rule for outside of Canada as long as I have been selling. In the last couple of years the US made a rule that USPS international lettermail should not be used for non documents as well. Actually, I think the rule is from the Universal Postal Union but I'm not certain. However, I would still go by the 'looks like lettermail, feels like lettermail, is lettermail ' policy if you are comfortable doing so.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Some Canada Post clerk have straight up denied some of my USA Lettermail right at the desk because there was a pencil inside, so I wouldn't recommend trying it. If you can get the weight under 100g then you can send Small packet USA which is around $7. If you go 100-250g it is $8.66

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

The side effect of all this is when you do things by the book according to postal regulations because the buyer at the other end doesn't understand those regulations, there is a good chance you will receive a low DSR for Shipping Charges. You can only ship with the services that are available/allowable and take the time to fill out the appropriate customs forms when required. Anytime you ship anything that is not really considered Printed Matter, you are leaving that package to the whims of any inspector along its route. Or the alternative suggestion. A very large cookie jar overflowing with cookie jar insurance.

Image result for cookie jar insurance

-Lotz

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Canada Post has had that rule for outside of Canada as long as I have been selling. In the last couple of years the US made a rule that USPS international lettermail should not be used for non documents as well. Actually, I think the rule is from the Universal Postal Union but I'm not certain. However, I would still go by the 'looks like lettermail, feels like lettermail, is lettermail ' policy if you are comfortable doing so.

UPU approved the letter vs merchandise rule  at their last major congress in 2016 (Turkey). The next regular UPU Congress will be held in 2020 (Côte d'Ivoire). However a Special Congress will be held next month (probably in response to USA pressure).

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Hi, a cd in a padded envelope goes as large envelope. Actually padded, paper or cardboard envelope (not box) are all the same as long as they meet the size and weight of an enveloppe.

Refer to https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/farLetter?execution=e2s1. I also doubled check at the post office and they confirmed.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Thanks, I do not have business solution. In my case it does not qualify as basic letter because it is 1 gram over the 100g limit of basic rate.

I will actually try is as you suggest, but sending it to myself, to avoid delay/issues to potential buyers.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Hi, in my case it was within Canada (Montreal to Toronto), so they did not say anything about the content.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

I'm a bit of a scofflaw on this, but then most of my products are actually paper, if not "documents".

Our American colleagues seem to be very obstinate about actually taking their packages to the PO and handing them over the counter. This may be some sort of side effect of rules that came in during the UniBomber days.

But with Lettermail, if you have a supply of postage stamps at home, whether you buy them at the PO or here on eBay at a substantial discount, you can just stick on the appropriate postage and drop the shipment into the nearest red mailbox.

You don't have to deal with bored, officious, or nosy clerks (not you Millie and Sharon, you are lovely to deal with!).

The boxes get cleared at about the same time as the driver turns up at the PO so there would be no particular delays.

And since you are not tracking Letter rated items anyway...

Someone seemed to indicate that they thought Letter rates could only be used up to 100gr.  The maximums are 500gr and 2cm thick.

BTW, I also send parcels with postage stamps too, but there I do have to visit the PO.

I put most of the cost of shipping on the parcel as stamps, add the customs label and get a tracking number when I pay the last few nickels of postage at the counter. (Hi, Millie and Sharon, got another one for you! Today I remembered to count the value of all those stamps.)

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@travis7s wrote:

Some Canada Post clerk have straight up denied some of my USA Lettermail right at the desk because there was a pencil inside, so I wouldn't recommend trying it. If you can get the weight under 100g then you can send Small packet USA which is around $7. If you go 100-250g it is $8.66

I think that the only people who would notice are the postal clerks at the counter which is why the outside mailboxes are so handy.  Again...everyone has different comfort zones and different circumstances so I don’t recommend doing it one particular way...just relating what I have read on this board.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

"Someone seemed to indicate that they thought Letter rates could only be used up to 100gr. The maximums are 500gr and 2cm thick."

If that was me I just meant that <100g is the cheapest price point. Being at 101g bumps you into the next level which costs like 50% more.
Message 18 of 18
latest reply