Shipping delays and refunds

What happens if after you refund a buyer the item, that is now in one of those black holes called sorting facilities, is finally received? Can we ask for the payment back? Or are we at the mercy of the good will of buyers?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@rio1953 wrote:

What happens if after you refund a buyer the item, that is now in one of those black holes called sorting facilities, is finally received? Can we ask for the payment back? Or are we at the mercy of the good will of buyers?

Thanks.

Because a transaction was completed you are able to contact the customer. It's been reported if you use the original PayPal transaction you "may" still have access to their paypal email address. If they are willing, no guarantees, you could send them a new invoice. Unfortunately this is the only known workaround when an item has been refunded. Best of luck.

-Lotz

PS. Depending on the age of the order you could still have access to their contact info in Sellers Hub or alternatively if you saved a copy of the shipping label.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It's worth re-billing, with a friendly and cheerful note.

It costs you only a few minutes for research, and may become a payment.

And at worst, the non-payer will feel bad about not paying for the item every time he uses it.

Also- if you bill and the customer does not repay, put them on your Blocked Bidder List.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

As soon as a case is closed, and the buyer is refunded, my normal policy* is to block the buyer. If the buyer subsequently repays, then I take them off the blocked list. Experience tells me that a first time lost package to an address will have a very high likelihood of a 2nd lost package to that address, my "burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me" mentality caused the implementation of the policy above.

In terms of repayment, over the course of time, the following form letters have served me well, but I live in the generally nicer world of stamp collectors:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/RICARMICs-current-INR-questions-or-Case-form-letters/m-p...

*sometimes for repeat customers for example I don't of course do this.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I've adopted this as i sell Collector trading cards, and I've had enough of the instant "where is my item refund me me now"requests. if the buyer has asked before starting the request like 90% of the people out there I have no problem refunding the buyer and then letting them be. But if it is an immediate refund my item from ebay request then, refund and blocked. Ebay needs to address the increased shipping times, Canada is Yellow alert status and it isn't 3 to 6 business days, more like 15 to 20 in Canada. This is the main problem
Message 5 of 5
latest reply