Shipping lettermail with standard stamp while it's oversized?

Hi there. I'm selling trading cards and trying a lot to figuring out best shipping methods...

I recently bought a 12x cards lot from a high score seller and received it today. Been totally shocked by the packaging, the seller actually shipped 12x cards into 12x sleeves into 1 resealable sleeve plus 1 toploader as protection, in a bigger bubble mailer than i use, with a standard 0.92$ stamp! While when i sell i'm shipping less cards, thiner packaging, and i must use the 1.94$ stamp!  I just bought 25$ of kraft envelopes and was ready to take the risk of unnhappy buyers to be able to ship at lower cost and reduce my prices on some cards... Cause in my mind it was the only viable solution. And then i see that package arriving today with a standard stamp... what a clap in my face

When i shipped my first sale 2 weeks ago, i've been to canada post office, they confirmed me i had to use oversized stamp. My question is  why do i must pay the oversized stamp when i use a bubble mailer while thicker/bigger packages can use standard stamp!?  Can we just use the standard stamp and put it in a post box, and they accept it like that even it's oversized? There's grey zones what are they? They say it's 1.8mm for standard lettermail but that package was cleary close to 2cm I just don't understand

It changes everything if i could ship like that seller... I mean he can package using toploaders and it still cost half my cost. Killed my mind seeing that while i've been trying to find solutions for weeks

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Lettermail:
Standard (Envelopes, Cards and Self-mailers 5 mm or less) 0–30 g $0.92, 30–50 g $1.30
Other (Non-standard and Oversize 2 cm or less) 0–100 g $1.94, 100–200 g $3.19 etc.

Full rates at Canada Post online.

As for the packet you received with a $0.92 stamp on it, the seller got lucky. Mail isn't always checked for the correct postage.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

There was a 20th century scam which purported to sell a "License for Reduced Postage" .

The ad would be in a tabloid, like National Enquirer, so the scammer knew he was already dealing with the gullible.

The mark had to send in a small amount- a dime or a quarter- in cash or postage stamps to get a brochure and an application form.

So the scammer was sure to get at least a dime from each mark. Overhead covered.

The brochure was sent in an envelope that had only a single penny stamp.

The brochure arrived, because the PO is too busy to look closely at every envelope. That it did arrive was "proof" that the "License" was legit.

And the License cost -- more. But not too much.

Send a $5.00  bill , no checks accepted, for the license. Send $10 and the scammer would include 500 penny* stamps.

Pure profit.

And again, most of the underpaid letters would go through.

Then the post offices introduced tagging, which meant no human was looking at the envelopes because the machine said the postage was paid when it saw the tags.

After a couple of years the PO was told about this and stopped tagging penny stamps. And started selling labels.

I haven't heard of the scam in any organized way for some 30 years.

*Then as now mint postage stamps could be purchased from legitimate stamp dealers at discounts.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

As for the packet you received with a $0.92 stamp on it, the seller got lucky. Mail isn't always checked for the correct postage.

Not sure if it's luck tbh to me it seems like a calculated move. It's like a medium size bubble mailer, if i measure where the cards are it's 10mm, but everywhere else it's 5mm. I wonder how much post canada really look if the stamp is correct? I guess they don't measure and weigh every single letter from mail boxes

It's just a bit frustrating to see that cause if sellers have techniques to pay less in shipping, obviously they can price lower, while offering better packaging, so they sell more, and they even pay less ebay fees. I might give it a tryout to ship a 10mm with a standard stamp, i did read that the only thing happens is a quick return with a notice saying the stamp is wrong

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

This is definitely incorrect postage for what they sent you as per Canada Post's rates. Keep in mind that most lettermail isn't sorted by people; it's machines that do the majority of the work. For anyone in the postal system that would happen to notice the incorrect postage, it's usually more of a hassle for them to process a return-to-sender than to just let it slide past onto its destination. 

Your seller has obviously tested the system and has discovered that *most* postage isn't checked and their underpaid packages make it to their buyers without issue. They wouldn't be dropping their packages off at the counter either, and instead dropping off at a mailbox which I avoid at all costs. Is it risky? Yes. Is it the right thing to do? Probably not.

If it's a power seller that's doing hundreds or thousands of transactions, that extra $1 postage savings adds up quick and might be more worth the risk. For us smaller guys, I don't know if it's really worth it honestly. I mean, are there really that many situations where you're selling bulk lots of cards for so cheap that you need to rip-off Canada Post for $1 just to make a profit and risk a package that doesn't arrive on time to your buyer?

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

It's not about a 1$ profit it's about a 1$ lower listing, that 1$ difference we would charge go to canada post ( for me in QC it's a 1.18$ difference after taxes ). It's huge in % on the 0-20$ range listings. I think that there's so many cards listed and so many sellers, grinding those 1$ to offer lower prices seems essential to be able to sell

But anyway i think i'm dumb i just realised that using bubble mailers does not mean it's instantly oversized, might be legit a standard stamp for a single card + toploader, maybe even up to a few cards in a team bag. I don't know why i tough that a bubble mailer only was already over 5mm... I checked it's seems like 4-5mm. Just realised this the day after i spent 25$ on kraft envelopes, relisted everything and was ready to ship cards in that oof... Luckily i think i can return them free. I think i'll invest on a canada post mesurement tool instead lmao

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Haha yes you are right about the bubble mailers - they don't always need to be oversized. I send bubble mailers with 1-2 cards in a top loader without issue and within the CP requirements with a single $.92 stamp. As soon as I add more than 1 toploader or a piece of cardboard, the CP lady yells at me. If you're using craft envelopes, you'll be able to get in 2-3 toploaders. 

As far as pricing, you can still price your cards as if everything was shipping with the minimum $.92 postage. If they buy a single card, your postage is covered. If they buy 2 cards, you can still send with $.92 postage and pocket the $.92 postage from the second listing. If they buy 3 or more cards, then you've got your oversized postage ($1.94) covered and still making $.92 off the built-in postage cost for each additional listing. Just make sure that if you go this route, the envelopes and packaging you use are within CP's requirements for standard lettermail when sending 1-2 cards. 

It's really a situation of the more they buy, the more you make when you have shipping built-in, and it allows you flexibilty in how you ship your items while keeping prices as low as possible.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

It would be a nice model but actually it would cost me way too much when they pick less than 3-4 cards cause packaging cost around 1$ more. And for now i have around 30 listings to do, so relying on multiple cards purchase would not be good since i do not offer a lot of choice

I'm hesitant if i should keep the kraft envelopes now i did not knew we can add toploaders in and still meet the 0.92$ requierements. They cost half the price of a bubble mailer and i guess we can put like a few cards in a teambag with one toploader in it to protect the whole cards. I ordered canada post mesurement tool it's gonna avoid me headashes i'll be able to do some tests

Might be better to return them if a white envelope can do the same job tho

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Just experiment a bit. Take a few test packages down to your post office with various amounts of cards, toploaders, different kinds of envelopes and see what CP recomends. I've certainly done that in the past when figuring out shipping costs. Or, use the tool that you ordered. That will work too, just be carful of weights as you still need to be 30g or less for lettermail (which isn't too hard for a few cards + bubble mailer).

And of course, the example I gave above was purely based on potage cost alone and didn't include packaging. You always need to factor that in as well. 

Lastly, if you know that you're going to be selling cards for the long-term, I'd look at buying larger quantities of envelopes/shipping supplies to bring your average cost-to-ship down. I'm at about $0.43 per package (1 x buble mailer, 1 x toploader) but it's because I bought 300 bubble mailers instead of the individual packages of 10 I used to buy. At that time, my average cost-to-ship was closer to $1.00. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Yeah my supplies are not at the best prices it's for sure add some more trouble in my pricing. The toploaders i bought to protect my own cards a few months ago i paid a 25x for over 20$ on amazon, got fooled. And it was like the best pricing at this time... I just bought now a 35x pack for 14$. Actually my cost are bubble mailer 0.35$, toploader 0.40$, sleeve 0.04$, team bag 0.17$. 150x kraft envelopes was 26$, white envelopes i got a bunch already and it's like under 0.10$/each i think, more i think about it more i think i should get back my 26$, a toploader in a white envelope or a kraft one, result will be the same kraft ones are useless  

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

The others have provided answers to your questions with the 'gist' of it being "the seller is doing this because they've got away with it in the past and/or their rate of return is low enough that it still makes it worth it to try."

As a Canada Post clerk I will add that their rate of success would have been better than normal since the pandemic began. Since spring of last year workers were told NOT to return items for insufficient postage and to just let them move along in order to not bog down the postal system even more than it currently is. However, just this past Friday (July 30) we received word that this process is ending and shortpaid mail is to be treated as it used to be before COVID.

That being said, if the item you're mailing is CLOSE to (but still over) the maximum dimension/weight restrictions for a category of Lettermail workers are told to err on the side of the sender, and in the vast majority of cases the letter will go through and be delivered just fine.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@dinomitesales 

Thanks for your recent clarifications & explanations. Greatly appreciated!!!

-Lotz

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles 

I ordered canada post mesurement tool it's gonna avoid me headashes** i'll be able to do some tests

Is that available again?

Squeeeee!

Where can I order it?

**I know this is a typo but it is also a wonderfully descriptive new word. Thank you!

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@rocketscollectibles 

I ordered canada post mesurement tool it's gonna avoid me headashes** i'll be able to do some tests

Is that available again?

Squeeeee!

Where can I order it?

**I know this is a typo but it is also a wonderfully descriptive new word. Thank you!

Ebay Search:

canada post lettermail slot measuring tool

As far as I know they've  been discontinued from the CP Shop for a few years. Mine has tape all over from dropsies!!

-Lotz

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

eBay: CP Lettermail Slot Measuring Tool  

Looks like it's a 3D printed product but should do the trick. $8.99 + $0.99 shipping from Canada. 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Canada Post still sells the official one used by the post offices. Just need to sign in with your SFSB account, I think it's like $14.28 or something.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Yes, you do need to be signed in. Only available for SfSB or those with a Commercial account.

From the Canada Post website. Image is the 2009 version when Light Packet existed.From the Canada Post website. Image is the 2009 version when Light Packet existed.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@t_bjarnason wrote:

eBay: CP Lettermail Slot Measuring Tool  

Looks like it's a 3D printed product but should do the trick. $8.99 + $0.99 shipping from Canada. 

Kudos to the seller! That's a smart business product using 3D printer!

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

This is exactly the one i bought. In my opinion expensive for just a piece of plastic with 2 holes tho, i think its overpriced but i did not found any better option
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

The price probably reflects the cost of the plastic fillament spools used in 3D printers to make these type of thigns. Though the prices have come down a lot in recent years, they are still quite expensive. I would assume the seller isn't making much on these. 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply