Shipping suggestions?

kashka
Community Member

I was just curious if I could get any advice on how to ship a lightweight item in the most economical way in Canada.I am thinking of listing some soda bottle caps..the weight would be about 40g..and I am not sure yet what kind of envelope I would send it in yet.I want to check my options before listing as I have always just shipped heavier parcels :)..Any ideas?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping suggestions?

Use Lettermail within Canada. Lettermail Oversize has 100, 200,300,400, 500 grams weight breaks and a thickness of 2 cm with a cost from $2.95 to $5.05 plus sales tax. Bottle caps should fit (I am thinking of the thin ones, not the two liter bottle caps which are twice as thick) easily in a regular padded envelope.

Please note that you do not have to use an envelope for Lettermail Oversize. You can use a box as long at it is not over 2 cm thick. I used to make my own thin walled flat boxes from cereal box cardboard that were 1.9 cm thick with the last 0.1 cm for stamps and labels thickness. I was shipping using Lettermail Oversize with Canada and Light Packet USA and International outside the country using these boxes.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Use Lettermail within Canada. Lettermail Oversize has 100, 200,300,400, 500 grams weight breaks and a thickness of 2 cm with a cost from $2.95 to $5.05 plus sales tax. Bottle caps should fit (I am thinking of the thin ones, not the two liter bottle caps which are twice as thick) easily in a regular padded envelope.

Please note that you do not have to use an envelope for Lettermail Oversize. You can use a box as long at it is not over 2 cm thick. I used to make my own thin walled flat boxes from cereal box cardboard that were 1.9 cm thick with the last 0.1 cm for stamps and labels thickness. I was shipping using Lettermail Oversize with Canada and Light Packet USA and International outside the country using these boxes.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

You should be able to buy an assortment of various sizes of bubble mailers from any dollar store at a reasonable price. If you're concerned about damage in transit, just add cardboard back an d front for extra protection.  Better safe than sorry.

-CM

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

One issue you have to be careful of is the contents shifting inside the envelope. The bottle caps might bunch up and make the package thicker than the 2 cm limit.

I have an old kitchen bag sealer that I used to make tubes from plastic bags that were slightly wider than the item. This way I could keep small items from moving around and bunching up. Tape the tubes to a thin piece of cardboard in the padded envelope to keep them from moving around.

The bag sealer is a very useful tool for packaging small items. You can be very creative in creating tubes or even grids to hold items. Keeps them flat and not bunching up and also looks like professional packaging.

Using the plastic tubes keeps items from touching another item too much. Collectors of bottle caps do not want scratches on the caps. So always store them as separate as possible.  I would use the bag sealer to make a tube, place a single cap in the tube, seal (not cut) that cap in the tube, add another cap, seal (not cut) the tube and repeat for 5 or so caps. Use the same trick for other small items.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Wow..great ideas!..Thanks so much...I wasn't sure if I could use a padded envelope for merchandise..so this is great :)..I have one of those template thingies from the post office with the slot size for envelopes..so I should be good to go.And wonderful idea about making the tubes with the bag sealer..I knew I picked one up at value village for some reason! Thanks again to the both of you for your ideas..:)

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

..I have one of those template thingies from the post office with the slot size for envelopes..so I should be good to go.

Then you are the envy of every seller shipping from Canada.

Too bad those can't be manufactured at a reasonable price. There is a small market for them -- every online seller in Canada should have one.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Pocomo, I'd like to learn more about this plastic-bag-sealing machine you mention. I think I could use something like that around here. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

"Too bad those can't be manufactured at a reasonable price. There is a small market for them -- every online seller in Canada should have one."

I made one from cardboard. It's ugly as heck but as long as I don't get violent in trying to shove something through, it does the same job that a plastic one does. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

..I have one of those template thingies from the post office with the slot size for envelopes..so I should be good to go.

Then you are the envy of every seller shipping from Canada.

Too bad those can't be manufactured at a reasonable price. There is a small market for them -- every online seller in Canada should have one.

Yes..it  has definitely has come in handy.I have had it for years and I think I picked up at a garage sale..:)

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

See if they'll fit into a e flute single cd mailer height wise as those will pop through the slot of doom and actually ensure your product has a chance of showing up in one piece.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Pocomo, I'd like to learn more about this plastic-bag-sealing machine you mention. I think I could use something like that around here. 

Using a kitchen vacuum food sealer to seal bags is an inexpensive version of a commercial bag sealer.

A new kitchen vacuum food sealer is expensive, $100 plus. But thrift stores and garage sales often have them for $5, $10, $15. The kitchen sealer seems to be a gift item that does not get used in the kitchen and is put away to end up at a thrift store or garage sale. So many are lightly used or even new in open box! Be sure to check the cutting wire for excessive use with burn discoloring or plastic reside stuck to the wire.

There are different features and models. Like building a better mouse trap they can be over designed and complicated. I find the best model to use as a sealer for packaging is the simple rectangular one cutter heating line sealer. Avoid two line sealers because one line is sealing and the second line is cutting. This makes it difficult for cutting bags to size.

I have bought a few sealers over the years and found that the Decosonic brand works well and is popular often turning up in thrift stores. It comes in single and double line (I have both models right now). I thinks a previous model was a Phillips similar in design. I have 5+ of these sealers over the last 20 years not because of poor design but because they wear out from the extensive use and from using plastic bags and materials that the sealers were not designed to work optimally with.

Uline sells a commercial sealer here on this web page. I include this as reference so you know what the real tool is like.

https://www.uline.ca/Grp_46/Poly-Bag-Sealers?pricode=DB009&AdKeyword=impulse%20sealer&AdMatchtype=e&...

The kitchen vacuum sealer can be quite versatile in sealing bags and making bags. You can use bubble wrap to make pouches and bags to hold product. I find thin small bubbles wrap best to work with but larger bubbles wrap can be used too. You can also use it to reuse bubble wrap (paper covered or plastic covered) mailers to seal an edge doing multiple heat seal lines close together. You can also cut down a large used bubble wrap mailer and make smaller bags from it.

You can also use the sealer as a cutter to make small zip lock bags. I buy no name zip lock sandwich bags and the narrower snack zip lock bags from the grocery store and cut them with the sealer into narrower zip lock bags. Great for making small bags to hold smaller items. You need to do the heat cut seal twice or three times to get through the thicker zip lock line at the top of the bag.

You can also use the thin white foam sheets used to wrap product to make bags but the edges are usually not sharp and well defined for thicker foam sheets. The thinner sheets have clean edges. But the bags are usually too thin to protect products. A trick here is to use two sheets to make a side. Makes some very soft cushion bags with sides like pillows. I even made with three sheet  thickness on a side. Please note it takes a bit of experience and skill to line up the edges nicely and to make a straight edged bag when using multiple sheets on a side.

Here is a YouTube video of a seller using a kitchen vacuum food sealer machine to make bags for their eBay business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRUDv2wCpj0

Please note the use of the box to make a level surface feed into the sealer. I did the same but I covered the top of the box with quad graph paper. I made sure it was square to the cutting wire and using a ruler, I measured out from the cutting wire and put dimensions in inches on the lines in the graph paper. It takes a bit of patience to get the distance from the heat line right for a correct ruler scale. I did the same length wise so I had a grid like on a paper cutter. This made it easy to seal and cut straight edges when sealing bags as well as making my own bags.

Please note that my sealer had led lights in the front sticking out a bit making an uneven front surface so the box would not push square to the front of the sealer. I have to find a thin piece of cardboard to space out the box on one side so it was straight and an even distance from the cutting wire. I glued the cardboard to the from of the box.

I never used the vacuum part of the sealer because I had no need for this. I even took off the plastic T tube adapter that went into the bag being sealed as it was in the way for making bags.

If you look at the video above there are more links to videos on creative uses of using a kitchen vacuum food sealer.

As for plastic bags to use, I have some new clear ones from the grocery store aisle with food saver bags. I save all kinds of used clear plastic bags from shopping. Obviously not soiled food bags but clean dry bags.

Disclaimer. Please be careful what type of used bags or plastic you use when using bags not originally designed for the sealer. Some plastic has a low melting temperature and may smoke or smell which could be toxic. This is rare but I have seen this happen so discontinue use of that source of bags. Most bags work well and melt/seal without any issues. Some just do not seal strongly or have a poor edge line. I have found that the white foam sheets mentioned above to make padded bags can smoke and smell.

Hope this helps.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

There is someone on this board who posted a link to a company that sells boxes designed for mailing CD's. These would probably be perfect, and offer the proper protection. But I think there was a minimum order. Perhaps they can chime in and post the link again.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Fascinating! I’ll look into this. Thank you so much for the exhaustive response. It’s much appreciated.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
Fascinating! I’ll look into this. Thank you so much for the exhaustive response. It’s much appreciated.

I have found the kitchen sealer to be an amazing tool. With a little creativity yoy can use it far beyond the purpose it was designed for.

For example, I bought some inexpensive cleaning brushes (toothbrush size) from the dollar store. Three brushes, one with plastic bristles, one with brass, one with steel. They came on a store cardboard twist tied on so once out of the package and placed in in my tool box, they were forever getting lost and when hunting through the box, I would inevitably prick my fingers on them. So I went through my box of saved used plastic bags and plastic sheets and found a thicker one with a clear vinyl like soft plastic.

Now the sealer is designed to cut heat the plastic until it cuts a line through the plastic. This is usually 10 to 15 seconds until the completed indicator light goes on (or off on some models). If you want to seal but not cut the plastic, you hold down to seal for 1-2-3-4 seconds depending on the plastic you are using.

I then made a three fingered pouch with a length and width to fit each brush comfortably and cover the bristles. No more fingers getting pricked. No more looking for one brush since the holder was wide and long.

Another example, I used to sell computer memory (RAM) which typically is 4x1 inch long and thin. They usually are in matched pairs. I would make a two fingered pouch to hold each stick separately from used dark grey anti-static bags. Then place each stick in the pouch side by side and seal the top. Write or print a label with the specifications and stick on the pouch. Very professional looking. The pouch kept the memory from touching each other, made it very flat and not bunch up to go easily in a small padded mailer to fit under the 2 cm Lettermail/Light Packet thickness limit. I could do the same for 4 sticks of memory.

With the quad graph paper on the box, I had a ruler grid in the background for making very straight edges and parallel seams for each finger in the pouch. Looks very good when you finish. You can place the flat item in the bag as you seal but usually the lines are not as straight.

Great tool for packaging sets of thinner flatter items. If you had say 4 small items in a set, you could make a 4 x 1 fingered pouch or make a longer 2 fingered pouch with 2 pockets in each finger.  Make the 2 finger pouch, put the two items in, make a seal line, place the next 2, seal, repeat until done.

I collect all kinds of used plastic bags and sheets. The trick to finding the appropriate bag is to sort and classify them. Get a longer rectangular box with an open top and make a filing box like a filing cabinet. Cut some scrap cardboard to make separators. Then use bigger bags to sort the smaller bags and plastic by type or size and place between the cardboard separators. Label the separators and holding bags and file. You probably can use a letter size filing box with file folders too. Remember that the leftover cutting can be useful as small pouches too so save some of them.

Of course, you have less work by buying bags from the grocery store or shipping supplies store. But I like to do the three R's, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Now this might seem like a lot of work but like everything in life, once you get the hang of it, you become very fast at choosing what to reuse as bags, how to package, how to make seams and not cuts, etc.

You may think that a sealer might replace Zip Lock bags for many uses but Zip Lock bags are still very handy because they can be opened up and closed any time. I still use both.

Tip: When sealing a bag, do not make it a tight fit. Leave a small amount (1/8 to 1/4 inch) extra so that you can cut open the package and reseal. Sometime I would place an item in a set not in the same orientation as the rest and it would look "off". Having a little extra allows you to fix it. Do not leave too much so that the item moves too much in the pouch.

Tip: Be careful with some plastics since they might react with the finish on the item you are packaging. I find biodegradable plastics are designed to degrade and has a strange texture to the feel. I am careful of using them . If you are packing for long term meaning months or more, think about the plastic bags you are using. This being said, I have some things packaged up to 10+ years ago still okay. Some plastics loose their clearness and fade over a long time but you can repackage if needed when you sell the item.

Tip: You can actually use the sealer in the kitchen too for which it as designed! LOL

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Comic book stores sell archival bags for about 5 cents a bag (prices vary with size of purchase).

Unitrade in Toronto http://www.unitradeassoc.com/Stampacc.htm

and Lighthouse in Montreal https://www.lighthousecanada.ca/collecting-stamps/?p=2

sell postcard 'slips'. The regular ones are dirt cheap but there are also more expensive archival ones (Lindner and Lighthouse brands).

All are useful for items that require archival packaging- not as cheap as grocery store discards of course.

I'd also recommend the LED pocket magnifier. https://www.lighthousecanada.ca/led-pull-out-magnifier-10x-30x.html

You won't believe you thought you didn't need it.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply