Shipping to Russia in 2020

Has anyone had any issues shipping to Russia this year especially since we’re in a pandemic? I’m a new seller and most of my customers are American/Canadian but have been branching out lately and have sent to other countries such as Australia without incident. I do not send any items without tracking even in North America so international orders are rare but I still get one once in a while.

An eBay member asked if I would send items to Russia so I did my research here about any issues but it’s going back to 2013 saying there were backlogs with the postal system there.

The customer did end up buying a set of 5 Bath and Body Works soaps I had listed for $42.99 CAD and paid $120 for shipping with Canada Post xpresspost. I had him translate his name and address in Russian as it would appear on the package and will put it on the box so it doesn’t get lost.

I’m hoping this package will get there but I’ve read that even with tracking, nothing is foolproof. If the customer doesn’t receive it and I have to refund their money, Russia will be off my list to send to from now on.
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Russia is a kleptocracy.

Overlooking the fundemental dishonesty of the system which infects many consumers there, you are also looking at a country with no Rule of Law.

On a practical note.

Your candles and soaps will cost you as much or more to ship as the buyer will pay for the product alone.

While the buyer also pays for the shipping, If you have a Dispute for non-delivery -- and have you looked at the cost of tracked shipping to Russia? we're in the $50 plus range-- you lose that shipping cost entirely, because you paid it to Canada Post.

Stick to North America. Even Australia gets pricey, and as you may have learned they are not happy about being charged sales taxes on imports. The original members of the European Union are safer, not the countries that were part of the Soviet Bloc though.

I am old and cranky.

BTW- there are freight forwarders and you could suggest that to your Russian customers.  These companies have Canadian or US plants and will receive shipments from North American sellers, deal with duty and VAT, and reship the items to their/your customer.

And .

EBay considers your responsibility for delivery to be complete when the reshipper accepts the shipment.  Most of the Money Back Guarantee ends there too. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I had him translate his name and address in Russian as it would appear on the package and will put it on the box so it doesn’t get lost.

This is not necessary.

As long as you put RUSSIA (or CHINA or EGYPT or INDIA) on the package in Roman letters, having the address in Cyrillic (or whatever ) is not a problem. And the country name is just to make it easier for Canada Post workers.

Fun fact- although the Universal Postal Union Treaty was in place in 1874, English was not an official language of the UPU until 1974.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Russia is on my list of countries that I do not ship to.

Better today to just ship within Canada or the USA.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Contrary to some of the responses thus far, I have been shipping to the Russian Federation for 14 years and have had a total of 2 INR's (estimated 100 shipments, give or take).  Very small price to play for the business it has brought me. 

Where are you located? Access to any of the cross-border shippers such as Chit Chats or Stallion?  Check out their international rates before giving up. Canada Post is quite expensive to Russia, much more so than C.C. or Stallion. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Better today to just ship within Canada or the USA.

I respectfully disagree. I ship to Germany. France. UK. Portugal. Italy.  Austria. Belgium. Ireland. Netherlands. Sweden (and others) . Very very few problems, if any.  I have more issues with my Canadian buyers than any of the above mentioned countries.

It works for me and I can only suggest you at least consider it.  Everyone's mileage will vary. I now return you to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress.  

Happy Labour Day

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

There are only four countries I will not ship to: India and Israel because my untracked items have too often gone missing, Russia and Saudi Arabia because I disagree strongly with their governments.

I will even ship to Africa, RSA, Morocco, and Egypt without a second thought and Botswana because of Precious Ramotswe. Other countries would be expensive for the buyer.

It doesn't have to be logical.

BTW, most of my problem customers are in the USA, a higher percentage than the percentage of sales.

Again, I rarely track shipments.

All of which is why I use Cookie Jar Insurance and spend way too much time wishing chitchatexpress served Victoria.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Thanks everyone for your replies! I checked the list of prohibited items one can send to Russia and toiletries is on that list. I’m assuming hand soaps are considered a toiletry so I’m going to refund the customer his money.

I agree that this is a country that is so restrictive, I’m not willing to lose money or my items. I should have checked beforehand and still learning something new about shipping everyday.

Most people outside North America don’t bother buying from me because the shipping is more than the cost of the item and I will only used tracked shipping.

I’m in Ottawa and there was a Chit Chats drop spot I used to use before Covid but the last time I checked they did not reopen. It used to be worth the drive downtown when I had several packages but I’m only selling a few a week here and there so not worth it the drive for one package every couple of days.

So far I haven’t any problems with customers and use expedited shipping with tracking to the USA and within Canada.

Hopefully I don’t get negative feedback from this Russian customer but I would have to declare it as hand soap and not risking the items being confiscated and refunding the customer as well.

Thanks again everyone!
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

but I would have to declare it as hand soap and not risking the items being confiscated and refunding the customer as well.

Never lie on a customs form, even , no, especially, in a country where a government wage is supplemented by theft.

Use the HS number for your item.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

Soap is 3401.30 

Candles are :   3406.00 

If your customer is asking you to lie, he is planning on defrauding you.

BTW-- feedback is not used by eBay as a measure of a member's account. Prompt settlement of Disputes means no Defects which do have a very real effect on accounts.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I used to ship to Russia and sold several items to buyers there. Had a couple of packages that never arrived and I provided  refunds.  Bought a couple of items from there that never arrived.  I am  not

a dealer but a hobbyist and thought it time to cut my losses as I don't need the aggravation.  Had

buyers e-mailing as the items  I sold took forever to arrive (those that did)

Your turn will come as there postal system is far from consistent.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Your turn will come as there postal system is far from consistent.

Oh but it has come.  Twice.  In 14  years.  Out of perhaps 100 shipments or so. Loses (items at my cost and shipping) totaling approx $39.  Estimated sales to Russia that same period approx $1,800,  Without disclosing my item costs, I can assure you it FAR FAR FAR outweighed the $39 "out of pocket" 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I sell to anywhere. I have shipped to Russia at least 100 times with no issues. I am one more bad experience from cutting shipment to Israel, the only country I am now leery about shipping to.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

How very nice for you !

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I ship from Canada all over the world, nearly everywhere, maybe not Russia or Africa, but most other places and NEVER had a problem.  Package arrived, buyers happy.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

You replied to a ZOMBIE thread from last year.

Information in old threads can be out of date.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread was begun I have locked it from further replies. If this is still a topic that warrants discussion please don't hesitate to start a new thread!

Thanks,

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 16
latest reply