Shippo versus PayPal"? Which one is costs less to use

Today we were invited by eBay to try the new shipping service SHIPPO and am wondering what others who have used this service think of it  and how the costs of using it compare to what it costs us to use Paypal.

From what I can find the SHIPPO service charges 5 cents for each label that you print

Whereas Paypal and CanadaPOST have teamed up and are offering 35% off of their published rate.

I did a test and found that if I print a shipping label from our location to anywhere in Toronto for a 1LB 9x6x3 box the and ship it using Expedite Parcel that the cost comes to $8.95

Versus shipping to the same location but logging directly into my Paypal account and then click on the ACTIVITY tab and then click on the PRINT SHIPPING LABEL tab and then entering the same information I get a total cost of $8.36

So by bypassing ebay and logging directly into my Paypal account I saved 59 cents on one parcel and it costs me nothing.

The tracking number was also automatically upload to the eBay transaction page so that was a bonus.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

@lady.stark wrote:

Unfortunately, no, it doesn't help. Printing online was a big advantage. Now I will have to spend time going to the Post Office. Another BAD change that makes me rethink my place here as a seller. Time will tell. 😞

Something I've wondered about and which has probably been answered here numerous times but I wasn't paying attention since it didn't apply to me (before).

Stamp guys use postage stamps to ship, but does that only apply to letter mail?  Can we use stamps to ship items via Light Packet, Tracked Packet etc.?

If so, how would we do that?  In other words, since it's unlikely that they'll be inclined to add up the value of the stamps used to determine which method was paid for how would that work?   

(P.S.  Just watched what femme posted.....  I think the answer in there somewhere)

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

Stamp guys use postage stamps to ship, but does that only apply to letter mail?  Can we use stamps to ship items via Light Packet, Tracked Packet etc.?

I've done it with stamps and a filled out CN22 label for Light Packet

But that might not be the way CPC wants:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGcustoms-e.asp

Still, never had anything get bounced back.

-..-

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

You can do it with anything if your postal outlet will cooperate.if you need tracking. Light packet and even small packet are not an issue, put stamps, blue airmail sticker, and a large white CN22 on, and put in mail box.

If you need tracking, put a bunch of stamps on, take to post office and they can create label and use customers own postage. The label will take the total cost, subtract your postage and create a label for the difference.

As I said, you have to have a good relationship with your post office as they lose income if you do it that way.

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

I have never tried it on line so don't know if you can use stamps and do the rest on line. Maybe someone that uses stamps and a lot of tracking can try it.

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I have never tried it on line so don't know if you can use stamps and do the rest on line. Maybe someone that uses stamps and a lot of tracking can try it.

Pretty sure stamps as payment is restricted to over-the-counter purchases.

-..-

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

Yes, I can confirm that you can use stamps to pay for any Canada Post service. At the postal counter we still need to weigh/measure your parcel and process as normal, but towards the end there's a box we can fill in for "pre-affixed postage" that allows us to deduct the amount of stamps on the parcel from the cost of the postage.

As far as I know, there is no way to do this online (i.e. pay for postage with a combination of stamps and online payment).
Message 26 of 37
latest reply

Shippo.. Ah-uh.,  Well, its glitchy for me.. I log in to paypal, select CP carrier, enter my CP acct number and POOF, it asks me to pick UPS instead.  BAm, next UPS shipping page, which goes nowhere. Forget it, I just log on into my fav carrier and do the online work from there.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

Well we signed up for the SHIPPO account since eBay forced us to do so as their print label link now directs you to Shippo. Anyways we signed up and proceed to try and print a label and the price was $9.38 for a 6x4x3 inch box that weights 1 LBS whereas going to PAYPAL the same label same box same weight was only $8.35.

So much for using SHIPPO - plus also just to let everyone know the SHIPPO account setup process will also REQUIRE you to give then authorization to charge  your credit card for all transactions - albeit they say they will attempt to use your PayPal funds first but that this not happen when you tried to print a label as we got an error stating our credit card could not be charged - which is strange since we have over $5,000 in our PayPal accout....so much for charging your PayPal account first eh!

Anyhow, Shippo is not for us - higher costs and all.

We will deal directly with CP when PayPal promo rates are gone. 

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Unless there are so many glitches yet to be worked out with Shippo, I too will not be using it,  but will go directly through PayPal for as long as possible. My expedited parcel rate for a within Canada destination package was $2. cheaper from PayPal than from Shippo.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

Which is why I will stay with PayPal shipping until this joke of a mess is sorted.

I am not even bothering to set up Shippo until all the rest of you test it first for me 😉 and then complain about it here...

PayPal shipping works just fine for me for now.

And I have had it with ebay and their never correctly functioning updates and changes, wonky shopping cart, forced one item at a time payments (good for feeBay, bad for all of us sellers).

It's also the reason I did not relist nearly 500 listings after the US dollar migration fiasco, too much effort for too little reward.

I can do it on my own site with less hassle and not have to upgrade this, change that, or workaround here or there because of eBays endless "bug" infested changes to the sites.

Sad but true, ebay!!

I mean one Sellers listings had this all over them.

Having trouble completing multiple fixed price purchases - Use the Shopping Cart Work Around

-- see the red paragraph below the auction details in the main body of the listing (below).

For US customers,  in order to combine items and avoid the dreaded ‘pay immediately’ scenario you can use the ‘eBay Shopping Cart’ on www.ebay.ca    If you are in the USA (or International)  you are likely logged onto ebay.com and may have trouble using the Canadian eBay shopping cart.  Try this; log off of ebay.com, then go to www.ebay.ca and log onto www.ebay.ca  using your normal eBay id and password.  Proceed to make your purchases by clicking on ‘Add to Shopping Cart’.  Once you have added all of your items, go to your shopping cart (upper right) and request a total from the seller.  I will send you an invoice with your items combined into a single shipment with a single combined shipping cost.  NOTE: DO NOT click on ‘Commit to Buy’ – doing so will lock you out of the shopping cart.

Shopping Cart ‘Work Around’ for cell phone users

If you are using a cell phone, you probably just have an eBay icon that you use to access eBay.  To do the above work around from a cell phone DO NOT use that ebay icon.   Instead, open your browser (Safari, Chrome etc) and type www.ebay.ca in as the URL.  That will take you to the Canadian eBay site, logon as normal, and the shopping cart will work normally.

Which to me as a Buyer looks like a JOKE, but its not....unfortunately

But it is the reason US buyers are not BUYING as they once did...from Canadian Sellers

Message 30 of 37
latest reply

@futuretech_liquidations wrote:

Well we signed up for the SHIPPO account since eBay forced us to do so as their print label link now directs you to Shippo. Anyways we signed up and proceed to try and print a label and the price was $9.38 for a 6x4x3 inch box that weights 1 LBS whereas going to PAYPAL the same label same box same weight was only $8.35.

So much for using SHIPPO - plus also just to let everyone know the SHIPPO account setup process will also REQUIRE you to give then authorization to charge  your credit card for all transactions - albeit they say they will attempt to use your PayPal funds first but that this not happen when you tried to print a label as we got an error stating our credit card could not be charged - which is strange since we have over $5,000 in our PayPal accout....so much for charging your PayPal account first eh!

Anyhow, Shippo is not for us - higher costs and all.

We will deal directly with CP when PayPal promo rates are gone. 

@futuretech_liquidations

Sorry you are having issues with Shippo, but it would appear that perhaps there is something set up slightly incorrectly with your account, that would be causing the credit card requirement (instead of PayPal) and potentially impacting your rates.

Did you set up your account directly on Shippo, or did you go either via an email we sent or the "Print shipping label" flow on eBay?  If you went to Shippo directly, you would not have been asked to connect your Canada Post and PayPal accounts to your Shippo account, which would lead to the requirement for credit card and also give un-discounted rates.

Alternatively, to ensure you have completed the right process, you can go to this link.  If you have completed the full process, it will take you to your Shippo account.  If not, it should drop you in the step of the process that is missing to properly connect your account.

https://goshippo.com/welcome/ebay_canada

Once you have properly connected your Shippo account, you should see PayPal in the "Billing" tab in your Shippo account, something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 11.16.56 AM.png

You should also see Canada Post added in the "Carriers" tab, with your Solutions for Small Business / VentureOne account number associated to the account, like this:

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 11.18.38 AM.png

Also, in that same tab, when you click "Edit" next to CPC, you should see that the CPC account is flagged as "connected with your eBay account", like this:

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 11.20.55 AM.png

@I hope this helps.  Let us know if you are not seeing the above, and if the link above doesn't help connect your CPC and PayPal account, and you are still being charged to credit card and / or seeing incorrect rates, please let @Anonymous know and he will work to try to resolve it with Shippo.

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

A very informative thread thanks for sharing your experiences people. I saw RED FLAG when I was confronte with this shippo nonsense.  What did the elders used to say "if it ain't broke DON'T MESS WITH IT"..

This is serious redundancy and really is a rip off, Time wasting to mention .

Why do I need an 5th party in my life? I don't .  Who's making this big cash in?  Shippo would not exist unless they are opening their pockets for the money to fall in.

So is that $2.34 extra Shippo tacks onto the same shipping label I tested in Paypal , going towards a charity? Oh yeah the Charity  called Shippo.

How do we collectively sway ebay to stop the nonsense?

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

What type of label cost $2.34 more in Shippo? If it was a domestic expedited parcel label then PP was having a promotion and that will be over in a few days. 

No one is going to sway ebay from changing the shipping label provider, they've been quite clear on that. But noone is forcing you to use any specific shipping provider so you should use whichever one you prefer.

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

Hi, I also have the same issue, unexpected response error when I try to register for shippo account,, How can I fix it?

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why until July 31  Why not forever?

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

I also have this same problem "Unexpected response error". What's the solution?
Message 36 of 37
latest reply

Please start a new thread (use "start a discussion" button on the forum main page). You replied to a thread from the summer of 2017.

Information can get out of date quickly.

You could also email Shippo help at: ebay-ca-support@goshippo.com

ZOMBIE thread.

@happy_pigeon

An update to the original thread topic: Shippo or PayPal or Canada Post's SnapShip all currently have the same shipping discounts (Aug/2018).

Message 37 of 37
latest reply