Should I text a potential buyer

katoro-4
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I just accepted my first offer from the buyer. She then sent me a message

saying that she has a question about the item and wants me to text her

at her private email address. Is this the right way to do things. Why cant

she ask the question here since this is where she just messaged me?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Yep that is a good question, as far as I know nothing good comes from going "offline", and that's often the first step in a scam approach.....

I'd respond in ebay messaging advising her it is your policy to keep all messaging within the secured eBay messaging system.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

More than likely this is a set up for a scam.  Usually once you text them they will ask you for your email address so that they can send payment. Once they have your email address they will send you a 'fake' you have been paid email so that you send the item. They often ask you to include some gift cards too which you should never do. 

If they have a question they can ask you via ebay messages.  If you tell them to ask you here, you probably won't hear from them again. You can cancel the order on the 5th day after the purchase using buyer didn't pay as the reason.   Some sellers might cancel early using another reason but since you are new, you might want to wait so that you are using the correct reason

This really isn't something that happens a lot although they do tend to focus on new sellers.  To be honest, I'm surprised that they would do this with a lower cost item, usually it with done with more expensive items, especially electronics.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It could also be someone hoping to convert to a direct sale. It amazes me that folks would ask one to risk one's job* to save the buyer a couple dollars off their purchase!

I'm always at a loss as to how to respond to them, when they've sent their address, phone number, email addres etc in their message to me. I don't understand why the bots wouldn't stop that, there's been no transaction and it most clearly is contact information being provided in a non-transactional message.

I can't remember at the moment, I think when I have responded I've been able to cut out the contact information from the contacter when I reply.

I've also had some of my non-ebay customers asking me questions about my non-ebay offerings via the ebay messaging system (my only information about the customer is their snail mail address), that also causes me grief too!

*Ie booted off eBay

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

byto253
Community Member
It is important to keep all the communication in the eBay system as it is your protection if something goes wrong. eBay reps can read the messages there and any from non-ebay comms will not have any weight.

As suggested, just use a standard reply that you only communicate through eBay messaging. If there is an offer or suggestion to complete the transaction outside of eBay just tell them that you do not do that.

As a new seller you will not be cut any slack and risk being booted out if you engage in a discussion about taking anything outside of the eBay system. If they persist after being told to only communicate through eBay, keep repeating it, and offer to cancel the sale.

A sale is not worth it. As suggested, they may just disappear and you can cancel in a few days.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

It is a major red flag, and not something I would do. 

With that said, given that it appears you have only sold one low value item, there is a small chance that it is not a scam. There is a possibility that it is someone who doesn't get eBay notifications to their main e-mail, and they don't want the hassle of having to log back in multiple times to check your response.

I would just politely say that you are more than happy to respond to any questions through eBay's messaging system. If they don't pay for the item within 5 days, you can cancel the transaction because they did not pay, and block them. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply