Should You Remind Buyer That You Have Left +Feedback When They Neglect To Leave Any In Return???

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Should You Remind Buyer That You Have Left +Feedback When They Neglect To Leave Any In Return???

No.

This has a higher percentage chance of annoying them and you getting something less than you deserve in the feedback from them.... I've seen buyers leave negatives for being provoked before....

Feedback is almost pointless anymore anyway.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I heard some horror stories about sellers asking for a feedback. This is a NO-NO! Never do that! You already have a decent number of feedback - 578 is enough to prove you are a trustworthy seller.  Do not play with fire! 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Leaving feedback is voluntary. Why would you feel you need to “remind” anyone to perform a voluntary action?
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

You could give feedback at a later date. If the customer hasn't given feedback after sale, this may help remind them.

I give feedback exactly one month after shipping just to ensure the item in question arrives and that the customer is satisfied with it.

There have been a few times my feedback prompted the customer to give me feedback in return.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

eBay sends buyers who did not leave feedback a feedback reminder after 30 days so no need to do it yourself. Since it is eBay sending it, a seller may get a feedback without any repercussions from the buyer.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Nope

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Here is the eBay.ca web page showing the flow of communication with a buyer. 

https://contact.ca.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ManageBuyerCommunication&ssPageName=STRK:ME:LNLK

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

NO.  NEVER.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

why give a buyer feedback , if they don't give you feedback first , give a buyer feedback '' THANK YOU FOR THE PURCHASE '' then a week later you get a message from the person you gave feedback too '' did not receive item ''   

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Because, especially for those of us who don't track our shipments, it confirms to the buyer that we did ship.

Nothing official, just a  warm fuzzy.

It's the supermarket cashier saying "Have a nice day" basically meaningless, but a nice gesture.

The customer is not your enemy and most people are honest. Even most disputes are a difference of opinion, sometimes strongly expressed!, rather than a scam.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

There is no real correlation to this.

Most sellers leave feedback automatically to buyers upon payment, because 99 percent of transactions end up being very straight forward. Leaving feedback manually takes time. When feedback requires is so standardized, it doesn't make sense to do it manually. For high volume sellers, time is important. An action that takes 1 minute per transaction ends up taking almost 7 hours of time a month if you sell 400 items. 

Keep in mind, sellers can only leave positive feedback so there is no downside to automated feedback. Even if you leave feedback at the beginning of a transaction, you can still reply to your feedback with an update. So if you have automatic feedback, and the customer rips you off. You can reply to the "A+ GREAT BUYER WELCOME BACK ANYTIME" with something factual that tips off other sellers to the buyer activity. It makes the original feedback moot.

Less than half of buyers usually leave feedback. I would guess that if you have over half of your buyers leaving feedback, you're getting very good engagement from them. Not leaving feedback isn't an indication they aren't satisfied, it's just the way it is. Buyers don't live on here like sellers do. While you should obviously treat every transaction as important and professional, the transaction probably is not the top priority in the life of the buyer. 

Positive feedback has diminishing returns after a certain point. So long as you have enough positive feedback to keep the percentage beside your name above 97 or so percent, you're probably okay in terms of marketing. It is more that negative feedback hurts, rather than positive feedback helps. 

If you send a message to your buyers to let them know their item has shipped, and that if there are any issues you're more than happy to resolve them - I don't think there is anything negative about informing them that if they are happy with the transaction you always appreciate positive feedback. That message is more about setting the ground work to make sure they have a positive transaction. But there is a difference between doing that, and begging for feedback. You should never message a buyer strictly to ask for them to leave feedback, and if you mention positive feedback in a transaction it should not come off as something you are imposing on the buyer as a requirement. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

no.  if folks want to leave it they will, if not, they wont no matter what you do.   

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I like that eBay recently changed Feedback to allow Sellers to respond. It allows you to extend the customer relationship a little. As well it offers potential buyers who may be reviewing your feedback insight into the way you do business. 

As far as buyers not leaving feedback, I think all of us are getting "snowblinded" by so many businesses asking us to fill out surveys (including eBay). I fill out eBay's surveys (usually) but I auto delete any other  internet surveys. I just don't have time and the ifo can be sold or used for reasons other than the needs of the business. 

These days there are just too many surveys.  Possibly some eBay buyers regard requests by both the Seller and eBay to supply feedback to be either mining for info and just a waste of their time. 

Finally, people may be afraid to leave feedback concerned  Google will pick it up and make it a public "search result".  Google search results never go away. Ebay's feedbacks aren't picked up by Google.  Casual buyers may not know that.  Maybe eBay should state that front and center for customers to see. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply