Slow sales March 2024 providing suggestions to improved traffic on eBay Canada and United-States

Hi

I think the sudden raised in cost of shipping has taken away the customers to shop online, spending less money on eBay. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think eBay could have a radio and television campaign to bring customers back to the website Something to tell them we have reduced the cost of shipping and we have Electronic 4 fun and other goodies for you at reasonable prices 

Reply tell us what you think!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Slow sales March 2024 providing suggestions to improved traffic on eBay Canada and United-States

marnotom!
Community Member
I don’t know if I’m typical of eBay’s demographic, but the only radio station I listen to regularly is ad-free CBC, and I stopped my cable subscription years ago.

The concern I have about a campaign like that is that many Canadian eBay buyers purchase from the US, and USPS counter rates for international shipping have increased considerably in the past year or two.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

who really listens to /watches ads these days? most listeners/watchers prefer "ad-free" ...

Etsy spent millions on a pathetic Superbowl ad which I highly doubt accomplished anything for a site that has seen its better days "behind them"(much like eBay's better days are long gone)...these sites have imploded because of their mismanagement, manipulations, micromanaging, little to no seller support,etc etc... These sites are has beens and nothing will bring back their glory days. Most sellers are hanging on because the alternatives are not much better...

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

who really listens to /watches ads these days? most listeners/watchers prefer "ad-free" ...

Etsy spent millions on a pathetic Superbowl ad which I highly doubt accomplished anything for a site that has seen its better days "behind them"(much like eBay's better days are long gone)...these sites have imploded because of their mismanagement, manipulations, micromanaging, little to no seller support,etc etc... These sites are has beens and nothing will bring back their glory days. Most sellers are hanging on because the alternatives are not much better...

...the world has moved on and the reality of a "late-stage capitalism" world combined with "nationalism" is starting to hit home, globally in all Western nations.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@electronics_4_fun wrote:

Hi

I think the sudden raised in cost of shipping has taken away the customers to shop online, spending less money on eBay. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think eBay could have a radio and television campaign to bring customers back to the website Something to tell them we have reduced the cost of shipping and we have Electronic 4 fun and other goodies for you at reasonable prices 

I feel like this isn't the time of year when a lot of people are looking to buy electronics (aside from gaming systems which sell year round). Things seem to go in waves. Around Christmas I was selling a TON of plush. Very few have sold since. It's the same for books which will likely pick up again in the fall. Toys seem to be selling fairly well right now, although they tend to in general.  Movies seem to be as well (not sure why). I would assume (without proof) that home & garden related things, spring/summer clothing, and outdoor activity items are probably heating up right now.

For some of your things price and policy could also be an issue. For example, the 250gb Barracuda SSD that you have listed as new but also as-is / no returns. Most people buying an SSD probably only care about price, brand (maybe) and capacity. When people can get a 500gb Samsung EVO with free shipping and returns from large online or box stores for $10 less than you're asking for a Seagate 250gb before shipping, it's going to be tough to sell. Your shipping cost for that item is also showing as $24 to where I live, which is way above what it should cost. 

Just some things to think about (hopefully they're helpful).

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

i think the answer to drop in sales this time of year is more banal than others are suggesting.  Generally around this time of year sales drop off after the Christmas / new year rush.  I find the last few years sales are December level well past Xmas, and generally stay high all the way thru to the end of February and well into March.  This I think is due to the **bleep**py weather keeping folks indoors and cools off once folks start discovering they now have the option again of going outside, which for many folks, is, um, around now.  Except Lotz, he's currently resting his back after shovelling 30-40 cms of the stuff he got last night. lol 

its also spring break time and folks with cash to buy our stuff are sitting on a beach in Cancun with their families.

Its also very individual.  For me, Americans have become unpredictable in their buying behavior.   Recently they disappeared during a sale period and all re-appeared to buy once the sales ended and prices returned to their original listing amounts.   Works for me but makes no sense from a practical perspective given how obsessed they are about getting stuff at a discount.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Hi

By chance are you aware of the fact that you can now show discounted shipping to prospective buyers? This feature does make a difference with sales. Setting below.

https://www.ebay.ca/ship/prf/carrier

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Shipping is definitely a question, and I am currently very grateful to DH for the huge accumulation of mint postage he has bought with decades of philatelic estates.

I do suggest that wherever possible sellers use Free Shipping.

DON'T PANIC!

Free Shipping means shipping is not a line item, but is included in the asking price for the item.

Not only does everyone like a bargain (even if they know that the shipping is paid for somehow) but it makes the price simpler.

And buyers particularly hate it if the cost of shipping is higher than the cost of the goods. No matter how honest that price is.

So mitigate the customer's pain with Free Shipping or as @lotzofuniquegoodies says by showing our discounted price for shipping.

On another note, retail goes in waves.

Most sellers see a surge going into the various winter holidays (Thanksgiving through Christmas) and a drop off afterwards.

In my own category, I see a dropoff during the holiday period when collectors turn their collecting allowance into a gift allowance, and a buying surge after Boxing Day.

If you look at your sales year by year, you may see a pattern emerge.

And the pattern may be in number of sales or in value of sales.

If we are lucky both will rise.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Shipping is definitely a question, and I am currently very grateful to DH for the huge accumulation of mint postage he has bought with decades of philatelic estates.

I do suggest that wherever possible sellers use Free Shipping.

DON'T PANIC!

Free Shipping means shipping is not a line item, but is included in the asking price for the item.

Not only does everyone like a bargain (even if they know that the shipping is paid for somehow) but it makes the price simpler.

I wouldn't do free shipping with electronics (at least for most items). The weight and size has too large a range of prices.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Absolutely.

If it has to go parcel rate, and that includes goods being shipped to the USA, Calculated Shipping is the only safe way to go.

The economics of Free Shipping are pretty well limited to stuff that can be sent by the fixed Letter Rates.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi

If you choose to use letter rates for smaller items in Canada please note those rates are going up slightly first week in May. Rates attached.  You may want to use these rates to save yourself the work down the road.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/2024-LM-e.pdf

-Lotz

Message 11 of 11
latest reply