Sold an item. Buyer requested cancellation, then changed their mind and still want item.

I sold an item.  The buyer requested cancellation, then changed their mind and still want the item.  How can they cancel their cancellation?  Any idea how to proceed with this?  Should I just mail the item or cancel it and relist?  It is an item that would ship lettermail within Canada.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Sold an item. Buyer requested cancellation, then changed their mind and still want item.

" Any idea how to proceed with this? "

When it happens, I simply send the buyer a PayPal invoice.

Then wait for payment.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

They paid as soon as the item sold.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

And 3 minutes after they paid they sent an automated ebay cancelation request.  Then 58 minutes after that they said they wanted the item and had cancelled by mistake.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

1) Did you accept the cancellation?

2) Has the PayPal payment been returned to buyer or is the money still in your account.

If the money is still in your account - ship

If not, re-invoice through PayPal

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Do things by the book, accept the cancellation and refund their payment. Then relist the item. If they are truly interested in the item they will purchase it again. 

If you send the item and ignore their cancellation they could just say that they didn't want the item and originally cancelled it.

Make sure you send the buyer a detailed message explaining what you doing so there's no confusion. 

Always cover your bases.... 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

If you hadn't already cancelled and refunded you can just send out the item. I wouldn't require the buyer to jump through a bunch of hoops. Even if they hadn't changed their mind you are never obligated to cancel and you do have a paper trail of them telling you not to cancel if for some odd reason that came up again.

I am assuming that you haven't accepted the cancellation already or iniated a cancellation n your end.  If you have, in might have to be handled a different way,

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

Do things by the book, accept the cancellation and refund their payment. Then relist the item. If they are truly interested in the item they will purchase it again. 

If you send the item and ignore their cancellation they could just say that they didn't want the item and originally cancelled it.

Make sure you send the buyer a detailed message explaining what you doing so there's no confusion. 

Always cover your bases.... 

Doesn't matter, sellers are not obligated to cancel even with the "golden hour".

Respond to a cancellation request from a buyer

A buyer can request to cancel a transaction within 1 hour of purchasing the item, even if they've already paid for the item.

When a buyer asks to cancel a transaction, you have 3 business days to approve or decline the request.

If you approve the cancellation request and the buyer has already paid for the item, you have 10 business days to refund the buyer.

If your buyer cancels a purchase, the buyer can't leave you negative or neutral Feedback or low detailed seller ratings about the transaction.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I didn't say the seller was obligated to cancel....

When a buyer asks to cancel a transaction, you have 3 business days to approve or decline the request.

With this in mind, I would decline the buyer's request to cancel and go forward with the transaction since the buyer sent the cancellation request in error. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Is it possible for you to send this via a tracked postage service that shows Delivery? For your own safety, I would consider that as a precaution. The buyer sounds a bit, er, flakey and you may find yourself staring at an Item Not Received case in about two weeks. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

It's a item that sold for $8.99 with $3.99 shipping so it is not worth spending too much on shipping. I decided to just cancel and relist it. Sent them an email that it was relisted if they still want it, so we shall see what happens.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I agree with you.... that's what my initial reaction was when I replied to the OP's question about this transaction.

The buyer is probably purchasing multiple items without thinking and probably initiated a cancellation request on the wrong item or items.

I'd be a little wary about this buyer....  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

To borrow a line from every Star Wars movie ever,
"I have a bad feeling about this."
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

The buyer sounds a bit, er, flakey and you may find yourself staring at an Item Not Received case in about two weeks. 

I agree with this.

I would accept the cancellation, then put the guy on my blocked bidder list.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply