Still a restriction on selling N95 masks?

I recall back in the height of COVID that eBay put a restriction on the sale of N95 masks. However, it's still in effect today it appears. I have a large stock to move and I get the error "Because this item is susceptible to price gouging, it may be sold only by authorized sellers." Is eBay going to ever allow the sale of N95 masks again?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@electronic_dist_intl wrote:

I recall back in the height of COVID that eBay put a restriction on the sale of N95 masks. However, it's still in effect today it appears. I have a large stock to move and I get the error "Because this item is susceptible to price gouging, it may be sold only by authorized sellers." Is eBay going to ever allow the sale of N95 masks again?

@electronic_dist_intl 

If you do a search for just that phrase a large quantity of listings are available. Because much of what happens with eBay is done by bots....AI...hard to confirm exactly what is going on.

In digging further you require business status to sell masks. See link for details. You will have to confirm to see if you meet those requirements.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/products-eligibility-requirements-poli...

-Lotz

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@electronic_dist_intl wrote:

@electronic_dist_intl 

If you do a search for just that phrase a large quantity of listings are available. Because much of what happens with eBay is done by bots....AI...hard to confirm exactly what is going on.

In digging further you require business status to sell masks. See link for details. You will have to confirm to see if you meet those requirements.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/products-eligibility-requirements-poli...

-Lotz

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

In a word,"NOPE"! you are an electronics seller...highly doubt eBay sees you as a qualified business seller for the selling of N95 masks or any other such restricted health /medical supplies. eBay has done its due diligence by keeping those restrictions and they are to be commended for such actions. Solution is simple: find somewhere else to sell them or donate them.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Why do you think those masks should be restricted on eBay and why they should be commended for doing so?  Afaik they allowed any sellers to sell them until there was a shortage and there was a problem with price gouging.  I'm not aware of any reason for them to continue to be restricted as they are an over the counter purchase and can be bought at any drug store as well as Uline and other suppliers. 

I can see them restricting some medical devices but I can't think of a reason to  restrict a face mask.  I undertand of course that they can restrict anything that they want to but I'm curious about your response to it as you might know more about it than I do.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Many governments and hospitals are still/and again recommending masks and with that comes those persons who take advantage of these situations....

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Ok.  Thanks for explaining your point of view.  I don't see how a person can take advantage of a situation unless the item is in high demand and has low supplies.  I hadn't heard anything about that being the current situation. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

it really matters not ...this is eBay's site, eBay's rules & policies and happens to be one of a few that I actually agree with>like much else on this site it is what it is>one either agrees with or not but life on eBay will continue as masks have been added in to that nice long list of other "restricted"/"prohibited" items that sellers tend to ignore and/or then find out the hard way that NO that is not acceptable to list here...Too many sellers NEVER read/fully understand &/or comprehend that selling sites do have the right to restrict/prohibit whatever items/products they so choose and do not have to give a reason why or justify that decision.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

If I had to put my money on anything it would be that it's never been a priority to revisit/update the list of restricted items out of COVID. 

If one looks at how long it takes to resolve "low level" bugs here, might be another year or two before the list got update....but perhaps I'm just wearing a bigger pessimist hat today than usual....😉

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

That would my guess.  That it has never been a priority and that it may stay there forever whether there is a reason for it or not.  My hat is bigger than your hat. 😁

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I would imagine they wouldn't be in a hurry to change the policy because of the number of fake ones. It may be a case of it not being worth the headache for them.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply