Store vacation wake up phase (ie visibility) is very slow...

I closed my store down for a week as a test for what all I need to do with my current practices and the impact of short duration closures. It was a "hide" the items kind of store closure.

I reopened it yesterday afternoon the 11th at about 2pm.

The visibility of items has been slowly increasing since yesterday, but the number visible is inconsistent.

I have over 3750 items. This morning, a varying number of items is displayed if I look in my store, or do a seller id search, or a general search that returns a number of my items .

For example using the initial query then refreshing it returns:

seller id search returns/refreshes: 1,286, 2,418, 753, 1,307

store returns/refreshes: 731, 742, 891, 2,534, 762

item title search that includes a number of mine (colossal): 43, 67, 42, 31, 70

If I do an ebay title search that does not include any of my items, the refresh number does not change, so the issue is with the re-visibility of my items.

I'll see how the wake up goes over the day today. 

I do not remember this being a problem in the past, after a few hours everything was visible again.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I noticed the same. Was away for 10 days and reopened my main store (on another ID) week ago. I only had about 300 or so items but they took about 48 hours to reappear. Very slow. Never used to be like that in the past. I also noticed that I had to manually go and close my vacation settings and I am positive that in the past my items came back automatically when the vacation date ended.

I used to be able to put in the dates and by the time I got home my stores should be up and running again. At least I have had some sales since turning my stores back on.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

The stability of the visibility is growing/increasing. (there are 3761 items total at this moment)

Now:

seller id search returns/refreshes: run between 3700 and 3761 

store returns/refreshes: run between 3700 and 3761

item title search that includes a number of mine (colossal): is wavering within a couple of 89 

At this rate it should be back to normal within 24 hours of awakening.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

When I closed my store last week it took about 18 hours for all of the items to disappear, they couldn't be purchased but they were visible.  It took about the same time for them all to appear. It used to be almost immediate in both directions, as you said it has really slowed down.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Yep pjc your observations about closing are the same as mine, it took till overnight till they didn't show up at all.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:
Yep pjc your observations about closing are the same as mine, it took till overnight till they didn't show up at all.

Same here.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

My counts are still wavering 50 to 100 so I'm going to wait till tomorrow for the final wake up aspect, restarting my sales.

I group my sales into categories based on how old they are. The oldest 50 are 35% off, next oldest 50 25% off, next oldest 200 15% off, and then about 500 10% off.

When I checked this morning the select items for sale process was also broken ie the number of items was short a few 100.

I'll have to remember after my next vacation to give a day before relaunching the sales.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I have go away soon for 3 weekdays. Wondering if I should put my store on vacation again or if I should just change my handling time from 1 day to 3 days. 

Any thoughts on this?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Just extend your handling time, being away for 3 days isn't worth fussing about.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

That's a good question.

I don't know what I would do for sure.

Given the extended close/open time and that it's only 3 days, I think I'm with silver that extending the handling time is the way to go.

I have a lot of items, I've never mass changed anything for fear of causing other problems so that would be new territory for me and that might adjust my own response.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I haven't hidden listings when I close my store for years, instead I increase handling time to match days absent BUT I can tell you that Markdown Manager is painfully and impossibly slow at indexing item listings now when it didn't used to be that way. Something changed behind-the-scenes and it coincided (to my memory) with Seller Hub being brought over. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I don’t know about markdow manager but I noticed a slowdown with vacation mode a few months ago, long before sellers hub was on .ca.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

My guess is that the cause is technology based. (I was a systems guy when I had two jobs).

I suspect the databases are mirrored maybe more than twice these days, and I'm sure indexing has come leaps and bounds since I was in the game. There is an awful lot of technology behind a 7x24 service to safeguard the data from corruption and loss. 

Sure there seem to be lots of glitches and problems like the MIA pictures, but I do not remember the last time the site was unavailable. That is pretty impressive, especially since the world is a pretty harsh hacking, denial of service kind of world these days. I suspect there is a fair contingent of folks who defend the site on a daily basis....

Message 13 of 13
latest reply