Strange INR....no 'resolve by' date given and no funds put on hold?

I just had an INR opened against me for an item purchased November 26.   Buyer claims non receipt.  This is the first  time i have heard from the buyer.  Pretty sure it's a scam.

Anyway, in the Ebay message alerting me to the case there is no date by which i have to resolve the case.  Also, i'm in Managed Payments and no funds have been put on hold and there is no message about money being taken from my bank account.

I have just now uploaded a UR tracking number to get the full tracking history on this item.   I should have the results in 12 hours or so.  I suspect the item will show as being delivered.

So, what is going on?  Is the money going to come out of my bank (i have nothing in 'Available Funds') and i just  haven't been notified?

Since i am uploading the tracking just now and not at the time of sale, is there anything special i need do to be covered by Ebay seller protection?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If 60 days have elapsed, it is possible that the window for buyer protection has run out. Meaning, they were able to open an INR case, but they aren't entitled to a refund. 

If the above is accurate, you should be able to phone eBay and have them close the case. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

that's interesting.    It has been exactly 60 days since purchase date.  The email i got from Ebay said  "please consider giving a refund" with no mention of a date Ebay would step in if asked to by the buyer.    And my available funds now has some funds in it and none is on hold.

So it would seem that maybe the buyer just missed the cut off.  I'm going to wait for the results of the tracking before doing anything.  If tracking shows delivered i'll call and get the case closed.  If it stops before the delivery scan, which happens about 10% of the time, i'll have to think what to do.  If the buyer really hadn't got it , it would have been returned to me by now, so i'm pretty sure he got it.

There is always the chance he can open a dispute through his credit card issuer.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

i  got the tracking results...only took about 6 hours to show up.   Tracking shows the item was delivered December 7,  about 10 days after it was shipped.  So my hunch was right.   I'm going to message the buyer with the tracking history and ask him if he'd like me to report it to the USPS Inspector General's Office, to have them look into potential postal theft.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

60 days is just for feedback.  The buyer had 30 days after the estimated delivery date to open a claim.  If it's past that time they can still open one but eBay doesn't require the seller  to do anything and won't step in.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

But keep in mind that the customer still has Buyer Protection through Paypal and their credit card's chargeback policy.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

just as a follow up, in case anyone is interested, the  INR case was indeed opened after the deadline and not eligable for Ebay Seller Protection.  I  called Ebay Customer service and they closed the case in my favour.   The best part, for me, was that the UR tracking number i entered was visible to both Ebay Reps i spoke with and they confirmed that the item was delivered on Dec 7.    Those UR tracking numbers are really a big help and a nice perk from Ebay.  

I will be interested to see if the buyer now goes to his credit card issuer or paypal  and opens a case with them...i've tried to scare him a bit with talk of postal investigations, so maybe that will deter him.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

If there is a payment dispute for an item not received, you would still have seller protection by entering the tracking number.  If they open an item not as described, that isn't as clear cut.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

ok, this isn't over yet.   Despite the fact that the case was resolved in my favour AND the fact there were no funds put on hold when the case was opened by the buyer (because the deadline had passed), I now have FUNDS ON HOLD.  Yep, even though there is no open case against me, Ebay saw fit to now place funds on hold that were not on hold when the case was open.   Brilliant.

Sooo, i called Ebay Customer Service AGAIN, tried to explain the situation to a rep and finally was able to make myself understood.   The funds are supposed to be released from hold in the next 24 hours.

Just wow...

Message 9 of 9
latest reply