Suspicious buyer - please be aware

Hello.  I just wanted to let you know of 2 or actually 3 people that were trying to scam me out of a valuable graded hockey card.  Just in brief, I had the card up and it sold for $3050.00.  Sold to a female buyer with the first name of 'Karly'.  Upon winning I received a message from her stating that she was camping and would get a hold of me tomorrow.  So I answered and said sure.  Not a problem.  Next day, another message an it was her.  I was asked to allow her to show a USA address as she didn't want to pay the GST AND PST and then wanted me to ship it to an Ontario address, and she also offered me some additional sports cards that I could re-sell for profit.  I contacted eBay and we went thru the messages and was told NOT to do this.  It wasn't acceptable.  I was to cancel offer the item to the second/under bidder and was to block the first bidder.  Oddly enough the first bidder somehow paid for the item in the mean time (I also had sent a message asking if their USA address was attached to their ebay account, but they didn't reply).  Like I said the first bidder paid, so I contacted eBay and was told to cancel due to the name change and address, as the buyers name was no longer 'Karly' it was 'David' and was given an address in Otterville Ontario.  Anyways, cancelled this and had offered to the second buyer which expired.  The second buyer contacted me last night saying he missed the offer and that he would be willing to purchase it at his price he he bid up to.  So I listed the item with the buy it now price of what he was at and he said he would pay for it today.  All sounded good, then he messaged to day saying he paid and the bank cleared it.  Now we have a "John" buying the item.  Yes I see it's paid for, but guess what.  The exact same address.  So same person, maybe 3 people, 2 accounts and one address.  He has now left me negative feedback, after following the ebay reps advice.  So I hope to get the feedback removed but in no way would I sell to this or either of these people again.  I have them blocked. 

Beware to all

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Suspicious buyer - please be aware

Your post may get deleted or be edited by the mods as we are not allowed to name and shame buyers or sellers.  

The first bidder sounds sketchy for a couple of different reasons. It's never smart to send an item to a different address that is on the ebay transaction.   As far as the name change though, that often happens that the name on the account is not the name on the shipping address so that in itself isn't a reason to cancel.   But trying to bargain with other cards and asking you to ship to  a different address than the one on the order is reason to cancel.  Did you use problem with address to cancel?

Was it the first buyer that left the negative.   To try and get the feedback removed you could report the buyer by using the link on this page.   https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=3&pos=2&query=...

When the first and second buyer paid did it actually say on ebay that the item had been paid and was ready to ship?

Something of this value might be better sold locally.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Your post may get deleted or be edited by the mods as we are not allowed to name and shame buyers or sellers.  

The first bidder sounds sketchy for a couple of different reasons. It's never smart to send an item to a different address that is on the ebay transaction.   As far as the name change though, that often happens that the name on the account is not the name on the shipping address so that in itself isn't a reason to cancel.   But trying to bargain with other cards and asking you to ship to  a different address than the one on the order is reason to cancel.  Did you use problem with address to cancel?

Was it the first buyer that left the negative.   To try and get the feedback removed you could report the buyer by using the link on this page.   https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=3&pos=2&query=...

When the first and second buyer paid did it actually say on ebay that the item had been paid and was ready to ship?

Something of this value might be better sold locally.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I do have to mention that $350 shipping for a card is not realistic unless you were planning on hand delivering it  🙂

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I would stop doing what you're doing if i was you, just stop communication. You are posting here, you answer feedback, etc. You are fueling him. Blocking him won't prevent him to create other accounts and buy stuff from you to cause you trouble. This buyer is extremly suspicious. I don't understand why he did shill bid himself. And i don't know if you noticed but he listed your card to sell, with a very long text. This buyer doesnt seems to have all his head. Stop communication before he decide he wants to make your life a hell... Seems like you already trigered him for it. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Isn't this what the new sports card authentication service is supposed to deal with and handle?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Hi.  I did happend to get the first negative removed, but now the first buyers left me negative so I'm working on that.  I thank you for your suggestion and honesty.  Oh and 350$ for shipping is because the value of the card is 3000$ so here where I live it has to go thru 2 major cities prior, so I need to insure it for the value!

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Hello friend.  Yes he is on fire for sure.  I received another negative feedback today.  Trying to get it removed.

Was nice to see someone at ebay cares.  Would you happen to have the number of the listing he listed my card as?  I am wondering as I may not see it due to the block?

Thank you

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

No.  We pay them for the service and then we receive the card back.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

As I recall we cannot charge for insurance as a line item.  But this may be obsolete since it goes back some 20 years pre-Billpoint  when bounced cheques were common frauds.

Who is charging you that for insuring a single item?

We use Hugh Woods International of Toronto London and New York who specialize in collectibles. However they do annual contracts not one offs.

They are the insurers to the American Philatelic Society, including shows where the Court of Honour may exceed a million dollars in valuable, and has free access to show attendees, and the circuit books which travel from member to member without further insurance.

They would also cover your collection at home, likely at a better rate than your home insurance for more coverage.

https://hwinternational.com/ca/contact-us/

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Hello.  Thank you for the reply.   The insurance to ship would be Canada Post.

I didn't realize that you could insure the card thru an insurance company.

thank you for the link.  I will have a look   😉

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@13ksametta wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding. I'm referring to this:

https://pages.ebay.ca/authenticity-guarantee-tradingcards-seller/

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

hmmm  let me have a look.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I'm not sure why but the listing does not have the AG logo on it.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@13ksametta wrote:

Sorry you pay who for the service?  You don't have the card in hand?

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I was replying to this: Isn't this what the new sports card authentication service is supposed to deal with and handle?

Luke handled everything for me from PSA right to hand delivery back to me after he took it to get graded.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

You seem to have the long standing certification companies confused with eBay's very recent authentication service.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

It does not sound as if Luke went through ebay to authenticate it. He got it authenticated on his own. 

When a card that is listed with ebay authenticity guarantee the seller sends the card to the authentication center and they send it to the buyer.  The card does not go to them and then back to you.   Your listing should show the shipping charge to the authenticity center and then ebay pays for the shipping from the center to the buyer. 

The card has to meet certain requirements in order for ebay to automatically include in the program and your listing did not meet the requirements as it had been autheticated already so you would be responsible for shipping the card directly to the buyer. 

You should read the information about the program so that you understand it.  Click on the + sign next to tranding cards and also read the FAQ at the bottom. After you list, its best to check your listing to see if it has the Authenticity Guarantee logo on it.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling-tools/ebay-authenticity-guarantee?id=4644&st=3&pos=3&query=...

Message 17 of 17
latest reply