THE EBAY SYSTEM OF POSTING IN CANADIAN CURRENCY ON EBAY.CA DOES NOT WORK !!!!!!

grade
Community Member

Ebay's argument that forcing Canadians to post in Canadian currency on Ebay.ca  is not effecting sales is absolute crap.

This has gotten beyond ridiculous at this point. I am losing sales to the US market because US Buyers are not seeing the currency difference in the USA OR not understanding they have to do the exchange rate first before offering.

I can give at least 10 examples in the past month alone !!!!!

I am getting bids from US buyers , who are offering US Currency but entering it in Canadian currency. I now have to ask everyone of them what they are offering BECAUSE THEY DONT GET IT DUE TO EBAYS STUPIDY.....

Example. I offered item for $299 Canadian. I get offered $210 Canadian. NO ! He was offering $210 US and until this was clarified that he was offering me US Currency that is $279 Canadian  he was not aware.

This is happening constantly and consistently. I am losing sales and time by having to clarify with every single offer what exactly they are offering !!!!

One guy told me he THOUGHT that ebay automatically converted the offer from him US to me Canadian  currency.

How many other Canadians are going through this ??????

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Every eBay uses its own currency (like £ in the UK, € in Europe) so having CAD on the Canadian one isn't really that much of a civil rights violation.  You can still list in US Dollars by going to the dotCOM site and listing there.  

With all due respect, I really believe you are losing sales when you have a shipping policy of 'buyers can go work it all out for themselves'.  If you think you might benefit from a how-to pictorial on how to set up shipping, post a message asking for one.  Other members here love to instruct.  🙂  

When you put up a listing where you take Best Offer, on a CAD listing decide your lowest limit in CAD and then set up the listing to automatically decline anything lower.  If you have $299 OBO in CAD, and an American offers you $210 USD, you are well ahead of the game so I don't really see the issue.  Not in a bad way at least.  

No one will ever be able to educate buyers who are bad at math or don't understand currency.  Same as the ones who don't read and expect a new item even though the listing clearly said "For Parts".  

If you have a listing for $299 and the buyer thinks he is offering $210 USD that is only because he thinks your asking price is $299 USD.  If all this troubles you, either list on dotCOM in USD from now on or list only with a non-negotiable fixed price.  

His $210 USD will be converted at the checkout.  Are you willing to take $210 Canadian?  An offer like that would be about $155-$160 USD.  It makes no sense that he would be intending to offer 160 but instead type in $210.  If he reads it as 299 USD, offers 210 USD, but ends up paying only $160 USD at the checkout, (because THAT is where the translation happens by eBay and not on the offers) then you will have a happy buyer who paid less than he expected to.  

I still don't see the problem.  

No offense, but it looks like you are creating problems where there are none.  Other sellers don't seem to encounter this treachery with every listing.  If someone makes an offer, you either accept or not.  I see no reason to wrestle with every buyer over currency exchange and make them think there is an unfortunate situation when there isn't. 

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/best-offer.html#work

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I have seen comments from other sellers listing in Canadian on how it can be confusing when receiving offers from Americans as there can be confusion about the currency.  If I used the make an offer function and sold a lot to US buyers I would probably list on .com.

As far as the seller stating in their listing that buyers should figure out their own shipping, that's bizarre. I dont understand why the op doesn't just learn to set up the proper shipping in their listings. As you suggested they are probably losing sales because there is no shipping cost listed.  Also, if the shipping is not set up or set up incorrectly their listings will often be st the bottom of search.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I agree that an offer in US dollars on an item listed in Canadian dollars is going to be a win/win.

The seller gets more money than he expects and the buyer pays less than he expects.

When I get an offer  my acceptance note is "Thank you for your offer of $93.72USD on # 234567899 Priest-Kings of Gor by John Norman. The shipping on this item is $1.99 for a total of $95.71USD. Shipping will be by Canada Post Air Mail."

That gives the customer a chance to rethink his offer, especially since many do not understand that shipping is not allowed to be included in an offer.

It also reminds him that he is not buying from next door but from another country. While the odd offer then disappears, for the most part it stops those annoying next day 'Where is my item?" demands.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Why not just offer your best price as the buy it now price! That will solve your problem immediately and will most likely increase your overall sales.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I have the same problem on .ca with  listings in USD.

Every bid or offer I make, has to be converted to verify what it will cost me in CDN  $, before engaging.

I simply can't be bothered most of the time anymore, and opt for CDN $ listings only.

As a seller, I listed In USD for 2 years.

I have seen no difference in my percentage of US/CDN sales since converting to CDN.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I have seen comments from other sellers listing in Canadian on how it can be confusing when receiving offers from Americans as there can be confusion about the currency.  If I used the make an offer function and sold a lot to US buyers I would probably list on .com.

Yes, the OP does have a point.  This happened to me on a couple of occasions during a time when I was listing a number of items in $CDN on .ca.  I quickly realized that U.S. buyers weren't taking the currency exchange into account (or weren't aware there was a currency difference!) when making offers.  

After acquiescing in the first offer, and turning down the offer on the next one, I haven't used Best Offer on $CDN listings since.  However the vast majority of my buyers are American, so anything that can make things simpler and clearer for them is best for me too.  I felt there was no point in having to haggle or explain after the fact, or indeed to feel compelled to turn down a bona fide offer. 

So my advice to the OP would be to list on .com, at least when using Best Offer.  Canadian buyers will "get" the $USD currency exchange anyway. 

I agree though that it's essential that the OP set up proper shipping options (to the U.S., domestically, and elsewhere).  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply