The "did you item arrive on time" question.

I'm still mulling over the Fall Update and the on time shipping question posed to buyers. I bought an item from the U.K, great transaction, item arrived in 5 days so very pleased. Went to leave feedback and question was posed "did you receive this item before October 20th?. Of course I responded "yes" but then was a bit mystified to see that I still had the option to leave 1-5 stars for how quickly did the seller ship your item shipped? Is that not somewhat redundant? Will someone monitor that if a seller clicks "yes" for item received before a certain day but then leaves low stars for how quickly was your items shipped? If so will they amend the star rating?  Despite what we are told, many buyers still feel that although the item arrived within the postage standard, that it still took too long, especially when shipping to the U.S or internationally. They block you from leaving from leaving feedback for shipping costs if free shipping was offer, block you from leaving feedback on how well seller communicated if they did not communicate so why leave this option in? Why allow them to leave a rating if they have already confirmed that the item arrived within that standard? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: The "did you item arrive on time" question.

On a related note, has anyone seen any information about when they'll have some reporting so we can see how we're doing with regards to this question?
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Think they stated November.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I seen it on E-Bay.com Discussion Board that they were supposed to be  starting on November 5.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

You make a good point and raise some interesting questions.  However, I think eBay sees the new on-time delivery "Question" and the "Shipping Time DSR" as distinct questions.  The problem is, in my opinion, I don't think buyers will always see them as distinct.   

The new on-time shipping question is intended to judge whether the delivery time frame has been met, whereas the shipping time DSR was intended to ask the buyer whether the seller dispatched the item promptly.  These are two completely different factors, but it's easy for buyers to get them muddled. 

Buyers often equate the DSR rating for "Did the seller ship quickly" to mean "Did you get your item promptly".  (For some reason I can't grasp, eBay never saw fit to change the DSR wording to make it clear that the seller was being judged for quick dispatch).  So in such instances, if a buyer answers "Yes" to the on-time question, one would assume they would be likely to also give a 4 or 5 star DSR for shipping.  In other words, happy on both accounts because they think they're essentially being asked the same question twice.  

On the other hand, a buyer who does understand the distinction (or is confused about what is being asked) could feel that the seller was slow in getting the parcel out the door, even if it did arrive within eBay's stated delivery window.  As you say, that buyer might be inclined to answer "Yes" to the on-time question, but leave, say a 2 or 3 DSR for shipping.  Since eBay is now telling us to lengthen our handling time to "pad" the delivery estimates for our own protection, this could conceivably affect buyers' responses to that DSR if they look at the listing to judge dispatch time (even if the seller is actually dispatching sooner). 

One thing to keep in mind is that the DSR for shipping time will no longer impact seller performance rating, so that DSR (and the other DSRs) will be displayed only for informational purposes to buyers.  Still, it has never worked properly as a fair evaluation of sellers' dispatch performance, and now it appears it's virtually redundant, so I think it should be dropped completely.  

To say the least, it will be interesting (some might say frightening) to see how this plays out once we sellers start to get the numbers coming in on the new "Question".  Since performance in this regard is being measured on such a narrow statistical base, every single response to the on-time Question will be absolutely critical for smaller sellers. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for your insight. Is it not irrelevant though to ask a buyer if he feels the item was shipped promptly or not if they received it prior to the delivery standard? Why even prompt such a question. As a buyer you were quoted a delivery standard, your item arrived within that standard, all should be well. Why muddy the waters? I know that the DSR for this will not be marked against us as sellers but I ALWAYS look at a sellers DSR before purchasing and stay away from low scores for shipping and handling time as well as other factors. Just don't allow that question to be answered if the item arrives within the standard. So simple!
Message 6 of 6
latest reply