This just in.

73rhc
Community Member
19 REPLIES 19

This just in.

I wish they had broken down 'media' into print and electronic. Because it is mandatory in the Community to whine about something.

Since my listings are mostly books, I don't have to change anything, but this may change my preferences for new listings.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

So "raising" the price by close to 30% right now (even though it would be a C in front of the price) would help sales? This in-depth analysis must be coming from the same place they do their analysis where raising the cost of selling on eBay help sellers make more money ...

What about when the CAD will be at $1.50/$1 US ? $19 US still sounds cheaper for now than $24.70 CAD ... and will sure sound cheaper than $30 CAD down a few months ...

And I highly doubt I would still sell in the US if I start to list in CAD ...

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

To be fair, the US customer sees the price in US dollars, if he is looking at eBaydotCOM. So it shouldn't make any difference there.

Actually if the Conservative recession continues and the loonie keeps dropping, our US customers will see lower and lower prices.

Meanwhile those of us buying at the thrifts and rummage sales will have our costs drop (in USD) too. My average book costs me $1.00 CDN while I continue to sell in USD ($1.26CDN)

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

Any one else think this is a prelude that if you are in Canada, list on .ca in C dollars and you will no longer have the privilege to list in US $ on .ca and in US $  on .com except for your 20 per month.

It has been discussed already in the chats and I feel it will come sooner than later.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

I have no idea where they are getting their numbers from,

I sell on 4 sites, two in USD and two in CAD.

If you looked at my books the two CAD sites sales are few and far between compared to the USD sites.

I'm sure there are many factors that contribute to the decline of the CAD sites, mostly because they are rarely invited to the listing sales (with a 2% sales record on the sites that are invited, I only list during listing sales) 

My oldest site, has a few faithful customers, that's about it. It took me 8 months last year to gather up $150. CAD so I didn't have to pay to transfer it to my bank account. 

There is also the problem of not being able to use a Paypal Mastercard to access your CAD funds. 

I use that card all the time. Mostly at the post office, resale shops that take cards, (to buy stock,) gas bar and at the best grocery store that only takes Mastercards. 

If eBay is going to insist that we who do not have our own bank card services, must use Paypal, do you think they should be insisting we sell in CAD if our access is denied through the cards?

Why does my paranoid self feel like the glitch in the sell similar that turns USD into CAD is going to take too many resources for them to fix? It's already an obvious domino effect with the shipping weight having to be edited when you change the currency back to USD.

I realize that setting up new systems can be daunting. I am curious though. Is this statistical analysis that bears no resemblance to my experience,  a bandage to cover over the fact that the new system is deeply flawed?

Next question, when is eBay going to start to use a practice board rather then make we sellers do all the beta testing?

I want danger pay. After all, banging your head against the keyboards, walls, and blathering like an idiot because your brain has turned to mush after fighting for hours to list your items, should we not be covered by some type of medical insurance or compensation? Man Wink

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

@dutchman48 wrote:

Any one else think this is a prelude that if you are in Canada, list on .ca in C dollars and you will no longer have the privilege to list in US $ on .ca and in US $  on .com except for your 20 per month.

It has been discussed already in the chats and I feel it will come sooner than later.

I don't know if they are planning on making Canadian dollars the only option on .ca.

I hope not but it is possible.

But I don't think that would have anything to do with limiting our listings on .com.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

I'm sure there are many factors that contribute to the decline of the CAD sites, mostly because they are rarely invited to the listing sales (with a 2% sales record on the sites that are invited, I only list during listing sales) 

I haven't noticed a difference in sales between listing on each site. If shipping is available to both Canada and the U.S. a purchase could be made from either site, regardless of where the item was listed. But  I'm sure that there is less traffic on .ca simply because there are 10 times more people in the U.S.

Whenever I've read about a listing sale in the U.S., there are always sellers here who have received the same promotion so I haven't noticed Canadians being excluding from the majority of the promos.

As I replied in your earlier post, defaulting to the Canadian dollar is not a glitch, they programmed it to do that. I don't agree with it but that's what they want it to do.

I have to admit though that I'm a bit skeptical of the numbers too. I can sales staying the same but I don't understand why listing in Canadian dollars would cause an increase.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

I believe we are the only country that can list in 2 currencies?

I also believe we are the only country that is allowed to list the same number on .ca and .com if we have a store (double the amount of any other country).

Hence my comments

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

I agree...I think that we are the only country allowed to list in two currencies. I'm fairly sure though that U.S. sellers can also list on both sites to have double the listings.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

I swtiched to CAD in January 2013. Quite frankly, it never made sense for me to list in USD. It never was my first market so I'm glad ebay has finally put it on the table. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

If I remember correctly....

The last time we had this US versus Canadian  selling currency discussion...

It was not possible to change the currency from US to Canadian dollars when a listing was revised.

Just checked.....   and... a US to Canadian conversion can be done for each listing...

No Bulk Edit... and when that Bulk Edit capability comes.....

Your guess is as good as mine...  

The Selling Currency  on eBay  will become Canadian dollars.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

I'm also a buyer on eBay and the best deals I had in the last few months is exactly from sellers making the mistake of listing their auction in $CAD. Most of the times, these ends lower than they would in $USD, I'll leave the reasons behind this to anyone who wants to chime in but frankly, in the hobbies that are of interest to me (Videogames and collectibles), auction prices where way lower when listed in $CAD.

I think their analysis is flawed, they say " Fixed Price analysis based on listings made in 2015 only. Analysis of sales between January 1, 2015 and June 30, 2015. " ... a few months back in 2014 we were almost at par with the $USD ... my guess is that the $CAD listings sold better because of lazy sellers who didn't adjust to the falling $CAD (or just didn't care because they get their stuff in $CAD and sell in $CAD) ... so of course that gizmo at $20 CAD listed in September 2014 when it was worth $19 USD will sell in June 2015 if the seller never adjusted the price and it's now worth $15 USD ... So I think this is it, these "stats" are based on a bunch of stuff listed in $CAD that ended up selling between Jan and June of this year because they were never adjusted and actually drived the prices of these gizmos lower for a while because people where picking these up instead of the correctly priced (but not selling) $USD ones ... this will adjust in time, and is probably already adjusted for a lot of categories where the "deals" are already gone and sellers won't be able to pick back up items to sell at low price (driving the prices back up to $USD territory, while helping people listing in $USD make sales again to wreck up their stats saying $CAD sells 10-15% higher).

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

So how is it going to work with paypal.  Currently buyer pays in US $ and it goes into my paypal account which is in US$.  I then have it  transferred to a US account in the US.  I sell on both .ca and .com and Bonanza and discogs all in US$.  

So now a buyer will pay me CDN$ and paypal is going to charge me to put it into US funds so I can transfer it to my US bank.  That's not gonna work for me.   Over 50% of my sales are to the US.  

Why does ebay continuously change things that have worked for a long time.  

Someone will be making a lot on exchange rates and it won't be me.  

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

@musicyouneed wrote:

So how is it going to work with paypal.  Currently buyer pays in US $ and it goes into my paypal account which is in US$.  I then have it  transferred to a US account in the US.  I sell on both .ca and .com and Bonanza and discogs all in US$.  

So now a buyer will pay me CDN$ and paypal is going to charge me to put it into US funds so I can transfer it to my US bank.  That's not gonna work for me.   Over 50% of my sales are to the US.  

Why does ebay continuously change things that have worked for a long time.  

Someone will be making a lot on exchange rates and it won't be me.  

All your US buyers will be paying the exchange rate as well during the transaction.   PayPal will make double!!......once from the buyer when you make a sale and again from you when you convert it all back to US dollars.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

I sell very little to Canada less than 10 % a month some months. I list in US always have since day one & I use the US exchange to fund my Free shipping and also for the Cookie jar. I am soon going to stop  selling out side of North America mainly because of the DSR & NAD as in most cases it is too expensive to insure the Parcel coming back from Europe or Oz. Even though I know or guess I am getting ripped off some times because the Buyer knows it is too expensive to have it returned

The US exchange rate right now makes it to could to lose off the top and my theory is If it not broke why fix it. It is would be allot better for E-Bay to close down CA and just go with com for US & Canada.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

@cumos55 wrote:

If I remember correctly....

The last time we had this US versus Canadian  selling currency discussion...

It was not possible to change the currency from US to Canadian dollars when a listing was revised.

Just checked.....   and... a US to Canadian conversion can be done for each listing...

No Bulk Edit... and when that Bulk Edit capability comes.....

Your guess is as good as mine...  

The Selling Currency  on eBay  will become Canadian dollars.

Hi cumos55,

Just wanted to rectify that it is still impossible to switch the currency on a live listing via revision. Even Relist won't let you do that, the only way to "convert" a USD listing to CAD (or vice versa) is to use Sell Similar.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

I would love to know where these numbers come from?

since Day 1 on ebay for me 12 years ago I have always been told it is better to list in US dollars as most of my buyers are in the US!

why the sudden change since i'm sure the vast majority of the sellers were doing the same?

if we have to list in CAD funds so be it but don't give me some line about it increasing sales 

If a buyer is interested in my item at the end of the day it won't  matter what currency it was listed in. 

I am more concerned about having potential buyers actually view my listings then worrying about listing currency.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was not happy when I received it as I sell most to USA.  I checked my auctions and noticed most of my items are listed in Canada Dollars which are higher than US and I fear that I may not able to sell a lot like I used with US dollars.

Again eBay should not be allowed to have too much power over us and allow us to chose which currency to list.  eBay lay off!!

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

This just in.

You can use Sell Similar to change those listings to US dollars.

As noted above, your US customers see your prices in US dollars. (And your European customers in euros, your Aussie customers in AUD, etc.)

I noticed in passing the other day that on at least one of my accounts, I have sold roughly the same dollar value to Canada as to the USA, which surprised me because over 80% of my sales are to the USA.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply